Baby Baron Gotha Gaggle for Flite Fest 2016!

Dave.E

I missed the photo too, bummer. But the Gotha gaggle was a really fun event, hope to do it next year. Also, love the poster.

Ross

^^^ did the barons and brits get together as teams and form a strategy or did they just go for it?

HilldaFlyer

I'd characterize it as all for one and one for everyone.
If there was a strategy, it held up until 3-2-1 launch.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ross, clearly you haven't flown a baby baron, or at least not in a gaggle ;)

Tiny fast twitchy as heck and EASY to misidentify in a furball of 50 other planes. Take your eyes off your plane to track your prey . . . . and you'll probably end up flying someone else's plane . . . at least briefly.

For the last two guys to have the discipline to hang on that long, or Josh having the luck of cleaving a plane in half . . . Good flying Guys :)

Ross

No i haven't, I have a Brit hanging in the living room but I'm not pilot enough to attempt flying it yet. I know these aren't for us rookie fliers.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Positive side, she'll take a beating, so don't be too scared of her. Nose heavy and tame rates with expo and she'll be well behaved for you :)

0150r

This was my 'backup' Baby Brit. It flew in a couple of combats and the world record attempt (crashed shortly after take-off, though).

Thanks to the guys running the CNC foam cutter for cutting this one out for me. I built the Baby Baron they cut for me this week, just need to get the electronics in it now.

13693029_10208169438086540_1553904154348047505_o.jpg

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
... Nose heavy and tame rates with expo and she'll be well behaved for you :)

Oh man, I can't echo this advice loud enough! When I first flew my test-Baby-Brit at home before FF, I had the CG right where any reasonable calculation said it should be... And it was so neutral and squirrelly I could barely bring it back down safely. Every flight I felt like I was pushing the CG further and further forward, and it only flew better and more stable each time. The Baby-Brit/Baron isn't so much a tiny airplane, it's more like flying a motor and prop that just happen to have directional controls!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The Baby-Brit/Baron isn't so much a tiny airplane, it's more like flying a motor and prop that just happen to have directional controls!

You have directional controls on yours?

I'm jealous!! :p

But yes - CG way forward, rates very low, and expo pretty high. These little rockets are like a freshly shampooed squirrel.

It is quite consoling to hear everyone's flying experience with the Babies. Eventhough I put in a little flight time with my test Baby before FF I was still on edge. Even the morning of the dawn patrol I got there early enough for a little warming up to only 'dirt nap' it (as Bixler so eloquently puts it:) 3 times before I settled down enough to somewhat comfortably keep it in the air. But I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. To be part of such a kind heartwarming group of fellow flyers was just,,,,,,,,good stuff! Thanks again to Stephen, Dan and Joshua for your tireless efforts in making it happen!

I look forward to try pushing the CG forward. It has to help. Just the other day I banged it around a couple of times nearly ripping the wing off of the fuselage. But it just took a little hot glue to again make it fly ready. It is a little stinker!

Michael9865

Elite member
The Baby-Brit/Baron isn't so much a tiny airplane, it's more like flying a motor and prop that just happen to have directional controls!

You have directional controls on yours?

I'm jealous!! :p

But yes - CG way forward, rates very low, and expo pretty high. These little rockets are like a freshly shampooed squirrel.

I enjoyed my later flights. The first 3 batteries where knee shaking and white knuckled affairs. All in all they are fun little sturdy planes. Definitely worth building and flying with low rates and generous amounts of expo. :)

The awesome skins make them little works of aeronautical art with the heart of a bumble bee. :D

97tj-neil

That's a great video. Watching it I realize that I was not the only one who crashed immediately after launch. Lesson learned that this was the wrong time for the maiden flight.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
There were often many young pilots just spreading their wings in combat... I would not have had it without you even if just for a brief moment! Thank you guys so much for participating!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Part of the excitement is the mix of tested and untested airframes! Heck, despite multiple test flights, I saw what the heat of the day did to those planes while they were waiting for the gaggle flight so despite having multiple test flights, it still felt like a maiden for me! That event was one of the highlight memories for me about this year's flitefest.