Baby Blender or Spitfire as a first 4-channel aerobatic plane?

DancesWithPineTrees

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum but have spent a lot of time over at RCGroups (mostly as a lurker). I have built and flown some 3 channel profile foam designs (Blu-baby, FT flyer, Blu-51) and a simple KF flying wing. I want to move up to a better looking plane (ie full fuse instead of profile) with some real aerobatic potential. I want something that can keep me challenged, but can also fly very slow when I want to chill.

I am trying to choose between a baby blender or a FT spitfire. I watched the review and build videos for each multiple times but I can't seem to make up my mind. Between these, which would make the best aerobatic trainer? Which has the most potential for aerobatics as I grow? Which is going to be the most durable? People seem to use the term "scale like flight" when talking about the Spit. Does that mean that it will be less capable for aerobatics?

The baby blender seems like the logical choice (and that is the way I am leaning), but I do like the looks of the Spitfire a little more.

I am planning to use the NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv motor with a 1300mA 3cell for either. Will the spitfire balance OK with a 1300? I read in another thread that you need at least a 2200mAh to balance it properly. I am going to scratchbuild, so if that is the case, should I just move the wing location of the spitfire back about 1/2" so I can balance it with the 1300?

Thanks for you help!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Spit! But you'll need nose weight. It has a greater envelope for slow and fast speed compared to the BB.

DancesWithPineTrees

Thanks nerdnic. I will go with the Spitfire. I don't want to add any dead nose weight so I will just order a 2200mah battery to balance it out.

Will the FT recommended setup with the NTM 28-26 1200kv motor with an APC style 8X4 prop give me unlimited vertical? If not, can you recommend a "high thrust" setup that doesn't add too much weight? I don't really want to go crazy fast fast, but I would like to be able to go vertical, and I want to keep the plane as light as possible.

One more newbie question while I am at it: Should I mount the motor straight as shown in the FT videos or include 3 degrees of down & right thrust angle?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks nerdnic. I will go with the Spitfire. I don't want to add any dead nose weight so I will just order a 2200mah battery to balance it out.

Will the FT recommended setup with the NTM 28-26 1200kv motor with an APC style 8X4 prop give me unlimited vertical? If not, can you recommend a "high thrust" setup that doesn't add too much weight? I don't really want to go crazy fast fast, but I would like to be able to go vertical, and I want to keep the plane as light as possible.

This motor on 8x4 with 3S shows only 100w of power - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17345__ntm_prop_drive_series_28_26a_1200kv_286w.html

You will not get unlimited vertical from that set up. You'll need closer to 350w to achieve an unlimited climb. I would suggest going with the NTM 35-36 1400kv with a 9x6 on 3S. This will give you decent speed but very good thrust and climb rates.

egunderson

The motor that nernic is suggesting, the NTM 35-36 1400kv is awesome. I took his advice and have been having a blast with it.
I put an aluminum spar in the spit as he also suggested and it flys great. vertical is basically unlimited, and the power is really fun to play with.
have fun!

DancesWithPineTrees

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to play it safe and start with the smaller motor to keep things light and floaty. I will keep the bigger motor in my wish-list for when I get bored of the small motor. :)

MustangStud

Resurrected Member
I've built the baby blender, and am working on the spitfire. I would suggest the spitfire just by what others are saying, but ask, why not the FT-3D? It is an aerobatic plane and I've flown it to pieces (literally). I use it to train myself new moves before I try them on my actual balsa Edge. You can crash the FT-3D repeatedly into the ground learning new moves, which is super helpful. You don't have to worry about pushing it too far.
So why not give that a try? For aerobatics it is by far the best FT plane.
No matter what plane you make though, make sure you have plenty of power to pull out of moves!