Balsa Build Along for 2019-2020

Turbojoe

Elite member
I know they'll be shipping soon but I'm going bonkers waiting for my Eaglet 250's. I even added a second kit to my original order. I've 3D printed some parts for it as well. I don't have any kit dimensions or I'd probably be 3D printing even more parts for it just because I finally got the 3D printer all sorted out. Maybe in the mean time I'll go ahead and work on the Q-Tee kit that has been on the shelf half finished for the last 8 years or so. I've got at least another 8 or so kits at that same level of completion. I really want that little bugger Eaglet 250 though. I think I'll actually finish it in record (for me) time as I doubt I'll lose interest early on like I did with the others.

Joe

TooJung2Die

Master member
I'm going bonkers waiting for my Eaglet 250's.
On the one hand I want my Eaglet 250 yesterday; on the other hand I can wait if they're perfecting the kit. I too have another balsa kit that's been gathering dust for over a year. It's a free flight old timer that needs to be converted to electric RC.

IMG_1690.JPG

Turbojoe

Elite member
On the one hand I want my Eaglet 250 yesterday; on the other hand I can wait if they're perfecting the kit. I too have another balsa kit that's been gathering dust for over a year. It's a free flight old timer that needs to be converted to electric RC.

That's gotta be a sweet slow flyer!

I actually really enjoy stick building and for a while have been looking at some of the old timer plans. Most of them being free flight or single channel and I've seen a lot of posts over the years that wing/tail/ motor incidence needs tinkering with when converting to powered R/C. I'm not sure how true that is and haven't really pursued it past the long ago reading stage. I really like the Miss America mainly because it has a cabin and if I ever do get around to an old timer that'll likely be the one. There are tons of plan sizes out there for that plane and I'll probably do something in the 40-50" wing size for easy transport. I need to get out there again and find out who is the cheapest LOCAL plan printer and at least get the plans printed.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's gotta be a sweet slow flyer!

I actually really enjoy stick building and for a while have been looking at some of the old timer plans. Most of them being free flight or single channel and I've seen a lot of posts over the years that wing/tail/ motor incidence needs tinkering with when converting to powered R/C. I'm not sure how true that is and haven't really pursued it past the long ago reading stage. I really like the Miss America mainly because it has a cabin and if I ever do get around to an old timer that'll likely be the one. There are tons of plan sizes out there for that plane and I'll probably do something in the 40-50" wing size for easy transport. I need to get out there again and find out who is the cheapest LOCAL plan printer and at least get the plans printed.

Joe

It might stretch the definition of "local" a little bit, but Rasterize is down in your corner of the world and would probably be happy to help you with plan printing

Turbojoe

Elite member
Got a link to this place? Google shows tons of stuff related to"Rasterize" but nothing related to print shops.

There was a blueprint service in Tempe that I used years ago and they did awesome plan copies at half what anyone else charged. From what I understand the owner died and they closed up over night. They did great work with awesome customer service. It's been so long that I can't even remember the name. :(

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Got a link to this place? Google shows tons of stuff related to"Rasterize" but nothing related to print shops.

There was a blueprint service in Tempe that I used years ago and they did awesome plan copies at half what anyone else charged. From what I understand the owner died and they closed up over night. They did great work with awesome customer service. It's been so long that I can't even remember the name. :(

Joe

Sorry - I was referring to @Rasterize here on the forums who is running a skins & plans printing service at http://fliteskins.com/

He's currently dealing with some printer hardware issues but I believe (and hope) he's coming back as soon as that's taken care of!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Sorry - I was referring to @Rasterize here on the forums who is running a skins & plans printing service at http://fliteskins.com/

He's currently dealing with some printer hardware issues but I believe (and hope) he's coming back as soon as that's taken care of!

Thanks. No problem. I get wild hairs sometimes about getting some of the piles of plans files I have printed and then I calm down. I'll get that Miss America printed and built at some point. Next up though are definitely the two Eaglet 250's I've ordered. I'd like to do the first kit dead stock but seriously doubt that will happen. The second kit will be later but I'm kind of afraid of what atrocities I might perform on the #2 bird. :eek:

Joe

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Got a link to this place? Google shows tons of stuff related to"Rasterize" but nothing related to print shops. Joe

Hey Joe, Stephen "Rasterize" Rosema here down in Tucson. I'd love to help but am currently working through some printer issues. My website is www.fliteskins.com but I have closed i down until I'm back up and running. My email is fliteskins@gmail.com if you have any questions. Happy 2020!

Sorry - I was referring to @Rasterize here on the forums who is running a skins & plans printing service at http://fliteskins.com/ He's currently dealing with some printer hardware issues but I believe (and hope) he's coming back as soon as that's taken care of!

What Rockyboy said! Thanks man! Happy 2020!

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hey Joe, Stephen "Rasterize" Rosema here down in Tucson. I'd love to help but am currently working through some printer issues. My website is www.fliteskins.com but I have closed i down until I'm back up and running. My email is fliteskins@gmail.com if you have any questions. Happy 2020!

What Rockyboy said! Thanks man! Happy 2020!

Thanks Stephen. Even though your site is closed right now I've saved the link for future reference. Being a retired vet TRYING to survive on Social Security means something as small as shipping costs can be a HUGE outlay at times so I need local service if possible. My Daughter lives in Florence and I visit her now and then. Maybe when you get everything up and running again I can combine a trip to see her and you in the future. I haven't been to Tucson since 2004!

Joe

Try-n-glide

Been off the forum for a while - and barely did any flying over the summer. Decided to jump back in with a Willy Nillies Sport 250. Probably start a build thread once I get the kit. If anyone is familiar with these kits:

Any thoughts on flight characteristics re: wing config? 25 vs 29? High vs Shoulder? I want to belly land in a small field behind my house, but still do some nice stunt flying maybe.

Servos? 5g?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've build the Barnstormer, not the Sport 250, with the 29" shoulder wing no dihedral as a belly lander, 4.7g servos. My flying skills don't come in last at most fun flys, but I'm only mildly proficient at inverted flight.

My Barnstormer is a speedy thing that's very responsive to small inputs, not inherently self-leveling, and tends to have unexpected roll changes when dealing with winds that really keep me on my toes. She's fast, fun, and small enough that she needs to stay close so I can see her. If I were doing another one with an eye towards smaller fields I'd keep her with the 29" wing span and go to the middle option for the dihedral braces - depending on the level of stunt flying I might even use the flat bottom wing kit so she would handle a steeper approach at a lower speed. 5g on the servos is fine, but no bigger - 4.7 or 4.3 are both good to.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It looks like the Build Along has been a rocking success so far, with multiple builders having completed their build and maiden flight, so CONGRATS! to those who've mad it, and KEEP PUSHING FORWARD to those still building!

The Willy Nillies kits have really been a hit and appear to be a great way for new balsa builders to get their feet wet. Their dang kits are pretty addictive as well! After completing my Cub I placed an order for 3 more kits, and soon after that 3 more...! I'm now sitting on the Eaglet 250, a Super Sport 250, the Jr Skylark 250, an Ace Littlest Stick, the Jr. Falcon 250, and am waiting for delivery on the P-51. These kits are a fun "palate cleanser" between my bigger kits.

Eventually I'm sure I'll add the Ace GLH, the Barnstormer 250, Hummer 250, and maybe even the Ace Simple 250 to my stock just to round out the collection. Anyone who's seen my collection of projects (and the occasional flyable plane) knows I've got years worth of work ahead of me! :)

speedbirdted

Legendary member
They have a P-51? Never saw that...

I'm being patient waiting for the Q-tee to be released. I'm going a bit stir crazy having no kits to build lately :ROFLMAO:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Maybe I'm just "special", but I've got their P-51 kit, purchased when it first came out as a Beta Build. I hate to say I haven't touch it (other the other WN kits I ordered yet).