My First Balsa Build - Willy Nillies, Ace GLH 250 - "What have I done?!" = Balsa Build Along 2019-2020

kilroy07

Legendary member
Okay, so I have a quick question for all you covering pros out there... (or even not pros but with some experience.) ;)

My plan was to have the fuselage split down the length, Green on bottom and yellow on top.
(Top of wings yellow and bottom green with a checkered stripe on the Left wing...)

I saw from another post/thread that in order to do a seam, you either need something under the seam (spar) or use a solvent (that apparently no one makes anymore (Probably causes cancer in California.)) or you may have issues when you shrink...

So I'm going to try out a test tonight, and see if crossing the holes in the fuselage will cause issues...

I have two main plans (of attack.)
1. simplify the scheme and just do green on the lower face (bottom). Wings the same as before and now maybe the tail feathers checkered.
Should look "okay" but not as nice as a split job.

2. cover the side with yellow the green on top... (but that's where the issues might creep in... correct?)

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? (I'm all ears.)

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Rockyboy covered some different ways to do the seam, I believe in his Cap 232 thread. You should check it out because he does a marvelous job on the seams.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

kilroy07

Legendary member
Rockyboy covered some different ways to do the seam, I believe in his Cap 232 thread. You should check it out because he does a marvelous job on the seams.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Thanks I'll check that out.

Base yellow (just been informed that I have a "date night" with the misses. Seems this is all I will get done tonight.)
IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0104.JPG

Bottom is still uncovered.
A test of green over yellow did okay, but the green (wn) did shrink at a lower temp, so I got lucky that I'm putting it on top.
Might go with yellow fuselage and green tail?.... :unsure:

Might toss in servo before I do.

kilroy07

Legendary member

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Ah yes, this WAS the thread I was referring to earlier, for those following along;
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/stevens-aeromodel-cap-232.61208/

One more example why I love this community so much, all the shared knowledge!

Still on the fence on how to proceed, might just do the wings in the meantime.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for the kind words guys!

One other thing that we should try in addition to the Trim Solvent is seeing if we can get a heat bond on the seam by NOT trying to iron them together on glass (my theory is the glass soaks up the heat faster than the iron puts it out, so the adhesive doesn't activate - maybe a different work surface to make the seam will help)

Turbojoe

Elite member
Thanks for the kind words guys!

One other thing that we should try in addition to the Trim Solvent is seeing if we can get a heat bond on the seam by NOT trying to iron them together on glass (my theory is the glass soaks up the heat faster than the iron puts it out, so the adhesive doesn't activate - maybe a different work surface to make the seam will help)

We all know it's possible based on the schemes we've seen posted time and time again. I'm simply not capable so I only do two schemes over wooden areas or if not there then I add the wood myself. That's the only way I can do two scheme colors over an open area. If someone comes up with a foolproof way that a moron (me) can do it I'm all ears.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I found another option to the Trim Solvent - doing the covering seam with an iron over thin plywood! I used the edge of the iron just over the seam - didn't need to stick the whole piece to the plywood. Bond turned out as strong as the solvent method! Just need to peel it up by pulling on the covering on the bottom layer to get it to release from the plywood. I think we have a winner here!
IMG_20191228_234518-1024x768.jpg