balsa V basswood

Thanks! This is a scratch build and going good so far. Plans are a little vague about some things like cervo placement and fuel tank. Got the wing, tail and rudder covered today without too much trouble. Had to make a hinge cutting tool and it works fine (too cheap and far away to buy one) Hope to get it done in the next few weeks so I can fly it before cold weather sets in here in South Dakota. Plan to build my biplane during the winter. Now if only I can figure out my Turnigy9X transmitter I'll be ready to crash and repair.

Ken, the plane looks great. As far as fuel tank placement, you want the center of the tank right around the center-line of the engine (as shown on the plans. As far as mounting, wrap it in foam to absorb the vibration and hold it it place, and you will be fine.

Regarding servo placement, in a Telemaster, I'd get them as far forward as feasible since Telemasters tend to build a bit tail heavy. For the control rods, you can build them with the wood as shown on the plans, or get some Sullivan Golden Rods. I'd also see about putting your receiver battery under the fuel tank, to keep the weight forward. In my Sr. Telemaster, I have the battery under the fuel tank, against the firewall, and I also ended up using a brass prop nut/spinner to get the CG right.

Your woodwork looks really good. It looks really straight and true. A straight airframe always flies better.

EDIT: I just noticed in your pictures, you will need to cut a hole in the bulkhead for your fuel tank. It's the bulkhead that is also the wind screen. if you look at the side view on the plans, you can see how the fuel tank extends through that bulkhead.

Last edited:
I have the fuel tank up against the fire wall thru the wind screen piece and battery just forward of the center line, both held in place with velcro. I was warned about wing alignment by my mentor and paid close attention to it, he also tipped my off to golden rod mso I will go with that. Got my motor mounted today. Bracing for wing dowels seems light, just balsa so I plan to reenforce it with stips of hard wood. Still need to get some stick time in on the used plane I bought before I take my baby up for the first time. Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. By the way, the landing gear in the pics. is just coathanger mock-up before I made the real one's.