basslord1124 RC flight and Flitetest journey/diary - Perkyplanes & RC

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks @mayan . Honestly at one point I thought I had put it out there but maybe I didn't. I'm glad it officially is now... Shows some of the positive family things this hobby can bring.

Plus, from a technical side... Some current media players would sometimes have difficulty playing the original clips as they must've used some weird codec that's not common. Glad my video editor was able to make it work though so now its out there for good.

We both still got our Hobbyzone planes. Father-in-law never really flew his Sport Cub S much though and he was happy leaving it in beginner mode. The Champ was the plane that really helped me get started.

basslord1124

Master member
Been a little while since an update but I did get another another video published:

This is another "oldie" that I recorded a while back but never uploaded. Just a little bit of my reaction to those new folks to FT who worry about their planes not looking as nice as the FT videos. I think we've all been there and felt that.

As for anything else, well life seems to have gotten a tad more hectic...as if it's not there already. Wife is in her last semester of school with more hours than she had before, so she's been extremely school focused. So much so, that we are letting her mom and dad AND my mom split babysitting duties. Her mom and dad watches the little one one day a week, and then my mom watches her another day. So been running between their houses a lot more now. This way the wifey can have a few days each week to herself to do school work.

Seems like plane work has been extremely slow here as of late. This may be due to the increased time the wife needs for school and running back and forth from the "babysitters". I've had some other hobby things come up too (IT/computer techy stuff) that have taken more of my time. Weekends are generally my best time to tackle RC plane projects...so I'm planning on making some sort of progress this weekend. Seaduck, KFM wing, etc.

basslord1124

Master member
Been tackling some repairs here recently. One of these being the FT Seaduck. Last time I flew it, upon landing it was rolling to one side and I had a brainfart and basically rolled it to the same side I was correcting it from. Wing tip hit the ground and the nose smacked into the ground. It literally looked like someone punched his nose in.

Here is the nose repaired back somewhat to its original state. I also added some spray foam inside the nose to give it some strength. Yeah she's pretty rough looking, but I plan on flying it til she gives up.

duck-nose-front.jpg

duck-sprayfoam-nose.jpg

Here are the repairs to the top half/wing area. When it hit the ground, the part of the wing past the nacelle is what cracked. In this view the crack is on the right side when looking at it (which you also see by the hole I cut into the wing).

duck-repair.jpg

The crack runs almost the full width of the wing, from the front where the motor is, to where the foldover stops and the trailing edge/ailerons begin.

duck-wing-repair2.jpg

I filled in the crack with some Titebond wood glue and then finished with packing tape. I also cut a hole in the spar location and glued in 2 popsicle sticks over top of where the crack is.

duck-wing-repair.jpg

That should hopefully give it enough strength to fly again. Just gotta patch the hole I cut and put her back together.

Last time I flew the plane, I noticed that she was very tail heavy and I had to find a creative way for it to balance on the spot. I'm hoping with the spray foam in the nose that not only will it help with durability, BUT a little extra weight in the front to help it balance better.

I also did some repairs to the KFM wing. Got the motor firewall back reattached and moved all electronics closer to center...even battery placement.

basslord1124

Master member
Something else I noticed too (and surprised I didn't catch this earlier)....

After the FT Seaduck wing repair, I kinda feel like the wing doesn't really have a lot of strength to it. If I were to build another 'Duck, I think I would definitely add some wood reinforcement on the foam spar.

mayan

Legendary member
Something else I noticed too (and surprised I didn't catch this earlier)....

After the FT Seaduck wing repair, I kinda feel like the wing doesn't really have a lot of strength to it. If I were to build another 'Duck, I think I would definitely add some wood reinforcement on the foam spar.
One thing to note is when you do a major wing repair the balance on the left right axis changes. You might have to add some weight to the other wing to help balance it otherwise be prepared for trimming :).

basslord1124

Master member
One thing to note is when you do a major wing repair the balance on the left right axis changes. You might have to add some weight to the other wing to help balance it otherwise be prepared for trimming :).

Yeah that thought crossed my mind. It had a bad tendency to roll to that side anyways, so probably will be adding something to the other side to compensate. Thanks @mayan !

basslord1124

Master member
Well it's been a while so time for another update...well it won't be too much of one.

First and foremost...our area has been...well, wet. Some areas even got some minor flooding as a result. I would say it was raining pretty consistent for about a week. Yuck! Even the other day it was sort of drizzling. BUT the good thing is, the flood waters have receded. So now just need some "dry days". With that in mind, flying has been out of the question. Although maybe the next few days/week will lighten up and dry out.

In the mean time, I've been doing repairs here and there. Seaduck is about ready to be put back together. Also got almost all of the electronic stuff done to the Shrubsmacker, so now I can do any finishing touches to it. I think the next one for the bench is going to be Edge repairs. Also wanting to start on the Corsair and Mystery Ship.

Something that has been heavy on my heart recently has been the FAA Remote ID proposed rule. I have left 2 comments on the rule itself as well as completing a FTCA survey regarding the rule. If you haven't done so, please take the Flitetest Community Survey:

https://ftca.flitetest.com/

The survey is on the main page. And here is the link to leave comments on the Remote ID rule (leave a comment soon as time is running out):

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FAA-2019-1100-0001

I am actually planning on shooting a video on the topic today and then have it uploaded to the channel in the next day or so. It honestly just doesn't make sense to me that we have to go through something like this for our hobby. But yet here it is. At the end of the day, I just want to still be able to enjoy this hobby with very little change to what I am doing now. I'm voicing my concerns and hope that others do the same as well. I told my wife about this here recently, and her reaction was basically "why are they doing something like this?...it doesn't make sense." I kinda almost feel that with the nasty rainy weather PLUS this Remote ID stuff has just had me feeling a little depressed about RC stuff.

Well that's all from me on this one. At lunch time today, going to go attempt to shoot this video. I'm hoping that things will lighten up (and dry up) so I can get more plane repairs done and maybe even some flight time. :)

mayan

Legendary member
Well it's been a while so time for another update...well it won't be too much of one.

First and foremost...our area has been...well, wet. Some areas even got some minor flooding as a result. I would say it was raining pretty consistent for about a week. Yuck! Even the other day it was sort of drizzling. BUT the good thing is, the flood waters have receded. So now just need some "dry days". With that in mind, flying has been out of the question. Although maybe the next few days/week will lighten up and dry out.

In the mean time, I've been doing repairs here and there. Seaduck is about ready to be put back together. Also got almost all of the electronic stuff done to the Shrubsmacker, so now I can do any finishing touches to it. I think the next one for the bench is going to be Edge repairs. Also wanting to start on the Corsair and Mystery Ship.

Something that has been heavy on my heart recently has been the FAA Remote ID proposed rule. I have left 2 comments on the rule itself as well as completing a FTCA survey regarding the rule. If you haven't done so, please take the Flitetest Community Survey:

https://ftca.flitetest.com/

The survey is on the main page. And here is the link to leave comments on the Remote ID rule (leave a comment soon as time is running out):

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FAA-2019-1100-0001

I am actually planning on shooting a video on the topic today and then have it uploaded to the channel in the next day or so. It honestly just doesn't make sense to me that we have to go through something like this for our hobby. But yet here it is. At the end of the day, I just want to still be able to enjoy this hobby with very little change to what I am doing now. I'm voicing my concerns and hope that others do the same as well. I told my wife about this here recently, and her reaction was basically "why are they doing something like this?...it doesn't make sense." I kinda almost feel that with the nasty rainy weather PLUS this Remote ID stuff has just had me feeling a little depressed about RC stuff.

Well that's all from me on this one. At lunch time today, going to go attempt to shoot this video. I'm hoping that things will lighten up (and dry up) so I can get more plane repairs done and maybe even some flight time. :)
Word brother. I can't wait to see that video, thanks for the reminder I have to write my objection to the FAA too. BTW hope it clears up on your side so you can fly just as bad I want it to clear up here :).

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks @mayan . The sun's been out a few days now so I think the dry out period has begun.

Released the video late last night after getting the editing done. Rather than going through the rule's major points and talking about those and being all "negative" about the rule (which I try to be a positive person anyways), I sorta followed the suggestion that Josh Bixler and the guys at FT recommended when leaving our comments to the FAA....and that is to basically be positive and talk about what it is that you do in the hobby as the big wigs just don't really "understand" what it is that we do. So the video is just me explaining what I do in the hobby and lightly hitting upon how I feel about these changes. Here's the video:

Aside from just the burdens of rules and regulations, I have a major concern over cost. Right now we are a single income family. I'm thankful that the Flitetest team has introduced me to a way to still enjoy the hobby on a budget...and the last thing I want is more costs/fees.

basslord1124

Master member
Well I really wanted to try and do a maiden of the Spitfire this week but life got the best of me. Yesterday would have been the primo day to do it but we had some utility work done at home that sort of put a damper in things (possible gas leak BUT it's all good now). If today wasn't rainy and windy I would've tried today. Maybe I can get some decent time this weekend.

basslord1124

Master member
Well, don't have a lot of time at the moment so here's a quick update....

Been doing some work to the FT Edge. Repairing the nose and such. Luckily the crash did not break the firewall BUT it did damage up the motor pod pretty good. I've got more details over in the Edge thread:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/at-the-edge-of-the-world-we-meet.59425/post-552743

The repairs are getting close to being finished at this point and I can put the cowl back on.

Also, I ordered a speedbuild kit of the FT Master Series Corsair today....pretty excited about this one! :)

basslord1124

Master member
New video is out...had some computer stuff going on, so that's why there has been a delay, plus doing our best to stay safe from the coronavirus pandemic...

I'd really like to get out and fly but with the pandemic, our horrible back and forth weather, and everything else, I just don't know when that will happen. Our airfield has cancelled the April meeting for this month. I've got the Spitfire to maiden and the Shrubsmacker is about maiden ready as well.

I have also begun working on the FT Corsair build. So far it's coming along pretty good and the new techniques aren't too bad to get used to. This is the only pic I have at the moment...

corsair spar and wing.jpg

For whoever is reading, I hope you are staying safe from this crazy pandemic that we are in.

mayan

Legendary member
New video is out...had some computer stuff going on, so that's why there has been a delay, plus doing our best to stay safe from the coronavirus pandemic...

I'd really like to get out and fly but with the pandemic, our horrible back and forth weather, and everything else, I just don't know when that will happen. Our airfield has cancelled the April meeting for this month. I've got the Spitfire to maiden and the Shrubsmacker is about maiden ready as well.

I have also begun working on the FT Corsair build. So far it's coming along pretty good and the new techniques aren't too bad to get used to. This is the only pic I have at the moment...

View attachment 164318

For whoever is reading, I hope you are staying safe from this crazy pandemic that we are in.
I feel you brother, I am dying to hit the field but we are as close to a full lockdown as ever, so I don't want to push my luck and maybe get fined ~150$ for being outside.

basslord1124

Master member
@mayan .... I just checked our field cameras and no one is out there (Tues, Thur, and Sunday are the more active days). Weather is decent too, although it is a little windy. Still though, most of the older guys would be out there shooting the breeze if they couldn't fly.

Crazy times we are in.

basslord1124

Master member
A small update...

Lots of RC parts/supplies have been ordered. Wife and I both decided to use our stimulus money for our interests and hobbies. So she got her some things and I got me some things. Will be revealing all the goodies within time as there's A LOT and I doubt I could remember it all at the moment. Also, recorded a new video today...will be uploading to youtube in the next day or so. Honestly, it's not going to be anything new (it's something most of us already know). But I do have neat things to introduce in some later videos. ;)

Flying has still been low priority. If it's not the pandemic and protecting our little one, it's the crazy back and forth weather. It's usually either too windy or rainy. So I'm hoping that the pandemic craziness will slow down and that the weather will improve with it.

Quick plane updates:
-Seaduck main repairs are done...just need to patch the wing hole and paint.
-Edge has been fully repaired and ready for flight again
-FT Corsair...top wing skin is finished on both wing sides, some parts of fuse have been put together.
-Shrubsmacker-need to install receiver, set up electronics, and balance
-Mystery Ship-main wing mostly constructed, ready to start fuse

I am planning on sharing some pics and more videos here soon of the progress on things. So more updates coming soon.