Battery for Turnigy 9X?

rlaska

Hey guys,

I am putting together an FT Flyer, but I'm having a problem finding a battery for the Turnigy 9X I got.
The AA pack that came with the TX is okay, but my TX is constantly beeping -- apparently the AAs I had weren't as fresh as I thought.

I'm really hoping to find a battery I can use that will not require any soldering of connectors. I've avoided soldering for this hobby so far, I'm trying to save a bit of time and money by getting a battery with the right connector from the factory.

Also, should I get a LiFE or LiPO? Or NiMH? NiMH may be old hat, but at least I don't have to worry about what voltage to store the battery at between flights. I'm not sure if LiFE is the same way, although I have heard that LiFE batteries are generally better for transmitters.

Any ideas?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
There is no factory battery for the 9X that I have seen. I know soldering can seem daunting at first, but it really will open up your options and, in reality, will save you money by giving you much more flexibility.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I went with a LiFe 1800mAh pack in mine and would absolutely go that route again. It lasts for hours and hours of flight, doesn't drop charge after sitting for weeks, and according to some reports I've seen it isn't the same level of danger that a LiPo gives you.

But it does require a charger that will recharge LiFe and setting it up does require soldering the connections.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I believe that one of the additional benefits of the LiFe is that they can be left charged for longer periods of time. Somebody correct me if that is incorrect, but there were very few down-sides of using a LiFe.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It is a good pack almost any Tx, but the OP was trying to get by with no soldering, which on the 9X isn't going to happen. The 9X uses a 2S JST-XH plug for power in with power coming in on the 1st and 2nd pins. The Battery you linked, while great for a replacement for most radios, only has a 2 pin JR connector and a servo type connector for discharge. Neither of which can work for the 9X. One more reason I suggested the OP go ahead and learn to solder. It will open up so many options.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I'm not sure why people keep saying the servo connector on that pack can't be used to power a 9x. Because I've been using exactly that pack with no modifications for almost 2 years now and love it. I just use the servo connector to power my TX. Ok, like I said it's been two years so my memory may be a little hazy...there's a chance I may have re-positioned the wires in the connector.

In fact now that I think back about it...I almost certainly did. I remember doing something that at some point had live feeds from the battery exposed with no protection and briefly letting them touch giving an impressive spark, some puffing to the battery, and 2 cells that don't play as nice as the others. Just a day or two after getting it no less. Fun. I just checked though and the servo plug in mine appears to be wired the same as the one in the photo on HK's site. Positive in the middle. Hard to plug it in wrong that way - worst case you hook it up with the ground to an unused pin. Maybe I was just taking a reading with my VOM and slipped letting the probes touch...like I said it's bee awhile.

Despite that damage just a day or two after getting it the pack has been outstanding. I don't get to fly much daily but I do try to find 10-20 minutes a day to drain at least one pack with the quad in the yard. Then I get 2-4 hour of flying most weekend. And many days I have the TX on for an hour or two in the evening testing things. With that kind of usage I find I need to charge it about every month and a half when flying.

The Accucell-6 will charge LiFE cells - but it's a little odd to setup and by the time I need a charge I've usually forgotten how to do it and have to find a youtube video to walk me through it again. Just more proof of how seldom I have to charge this thing.

Off season I still use it from time to time on the sim or setting things up or sometimes actually flying when the urge to fly overcomes my natural desire to hide in the A/C. And it will go a good 5-6 months without loosing any notable voltage.

LiFE is MUCH safer than LiPo. It has no special storage needs and holds it charge a LONG time. They can handle a lot of abuse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XymqQ-YlfJ0

The only real drawback to LiFE which isn't a drawback for a TX is that they can't do the high C ratings so you're not going to pull the kind of amps needed to power flight.

Also if you're not running openTX or open9x or er9x or whatever the firmware of the day is for a 9x you'll have to get used to that beeping. And if you are running custom firmware you'll have to change the warning voltage.

The one thing I don't like about it is it will make the drop from "fine" to "beeper" really quick for me. I have my beeper voltage set a little high so one it does go off I know I could probably fly another hour or more without over draining the battery. But I still tend to call it a day because I hate listening to that beep. And it's frustrating to see a "high enough" voltage when you load up the truck - but then get the dreaded beep 5 minute into your first flight :D

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I didn't know the servo connector fits. Of course, I never tried either. I just use the stock type connector since it's evidently so easy to reverse the polarity and fry the radio. It's funny that I say that after I built my own pack for the radio using (2) 18650 cells and (2) 2S JST-XH connectors (one for discharge and one for balance charging).

Good to know that the servo connector fits. I may open my 9X back up and see if the "extra" pin can be linked to the opposite ground. Then the power tap will be completely reversible and it wont matter which way it's plugged in.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I use the Turnigy 2650mAh 3S 1C LLF Tx Pack (Futaba/JR)

And then changed the connector with this JST-XH Parallel Balance Lead 2S 250mm (2xJST-XH)

For charging I also picked up a Futaba Plug to Banana Plug Charge Lead Adapter

IMG_4368.jpg
IMG_4369.jpg

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Here's a detail photo of how the servo connector connects on mine:

1556685_10151801100826805_939813060_o.jpg

And an overall shot of how I fit the battery and extra wires in:

1529470_10151801112556805_477965186_o.jpg

For me the main reason I didn't want to run a LiPo wasn't so much safety as it was laziness. LiFe just takes a lot less maintenance and care than LiPo and being able to leave it at any charge state for extended periods is so much nicer than always worrying about remembering to top it up before use and keep it at a storage charge when not in use.

rlaska

Here's a detail photo of how the servo connector connects on mine:
…

Looks like a definite winner!

Neither of my balance chargers mention LiFe on the front. Is it safe to charge a LiFe on a LiPo balance charger, or would it, "schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken?" (arcane blinkenlights reference) :eek:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
"schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken?" (arcane blinkenlights reference) :eek:
Now that's funny! Glad I wasn't drinking when I read that!

What kind of chargers do you have?

If you have, or anyone else has, the Accucel 6, I found a good video for setting up LiFe charging.
His adapter is a little funky but whatever works...All you need is an adapter to plug in the discharge leads from the battery to the output leads on the charger. You'll use the battery's balance plug in the chargers balance port.

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
(arcane blinkenlights reference)

Haven't heard that in a long time...used to have it on the wall above my computer:

Blinkenlights-original.png

I'd still have it up but anymore my computers don't have nearly enough light on them :D

But yeah - lipo charging and life charging are different and I wouldn't suggest using a lipo program to charge a life. You probably wouldn't kill it right out...but it wouldn't be very good for it either.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thanks! It was from a sign that was hanging up in my dad's office circa 1991. I miss those days.

For chargers, I have a Traxxas 2935 and an EMAX balance charger.
Sorry but neither of those are going to do LiFe batts. You'll want something that is programmable with an LCD screen. You'll want to get one of those anyway since the one's you have do not have any charge rate adjustment capability. The Accucel 6 in the video above is fairly easy on the budget and very reliable. It does need a separate power supply if you are charging from the wall outlet. It will hook directly to a 12vdc source if you charge with a car battery or if you have a decent amperage dc source.

I also saw this one, an Imax, but I haven't used it and I have not seen anyone else recommend it. It is a genuine Imax and not one of the copies that get such a bad reputation. It will still need a power source like the Accucel, but it WILL charge your LiFe as well as Lipo and Li-on's, if you have any.

Last edited: