BBA/Winter Build 2017/18 - Top Flite Corsair

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
HA! It's a possibility but The extended forecast is not looking good either. AFTER paint, I still need to do the battery hatch, canopy, cowl interior, on and on and on. It is doubtful I'll get to the tail gear doors before SEFF. It will have to come later along with the cockpit.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Fascinating finishing process. How do you know where to put the panel lines, I am guessing pics of the real airplane? I am really learning here as I will be attempting this next year.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Post #293 shows my printout for reference lines. Having my own large-format printer is a life saver for me as I can print pretty much whatever I want.

I did shoot some primer on panel lines last night. Everything but the wing and fuselage. I did it in the garage and had my hair dryer on-hand to keep things warm and accelerate the process. I'll wet sand tonight and remove the tape. This way I can work on rivets on those parts while I wait for warmer weather to do the remaining parts. 2-4" of snow expected on Saturday. Winter is just hanging on for dear life here.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Not sure how I missed that, thanks for the reference. Watching these builds is like a tv series, cant wait for the next episode.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I wet sanded the parts I had primed the panel lines on. I removed the tape and was immediately gratified with crisp panel lines. These are pretty close shots. Remember these grooves are only 1/32" wide.
IMG_6031.JPG

IMG_6032.JPG

The weather boogieman is saying a high of 65 today. So, I may run home and prime everything ASAP so I can keep moving on this. The wind has been in the 20-30 mph range as of late so I'll likely just shoot in the garage but I should not need the hair dryer.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Been a busy weekend. Friday had a high around 65 so I got the primer shot onto the fuselage and wings. Saturday had flurries and family activities so I got nothing done. I finally grabbed some time last night to sand down the fuselage and wings and take off the panel tape. I'm pretty happy with how things are.

The wings have a subtlety to them now that will pop even more once the rivets go down.
IMG_6046.JPG

Up close you can see that the lines are crisp and the transition between the wing and the simulated fabric covering are more subtle. Exactly what I was after.
IMG_6047.JPG

Lines on the fuselage turned out great as well and I'm eager to get the rivets down to really add the character I'm after.
IMG_6048.JPG

This week will be my favorite time... rivet time! You get in this groove and zone out the world and when you are done... so rewarding. My aim is to have things ready for paint ASAP.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Looking excellent as usual. I know we've hashed it out here and elsewhere so hopefully it doesn't sound like beating a dead horse, but the trick with detailing models of this size is about keeping the lines, rivets, and details clearly present and noticeable without making them overwhelming or ridiculously out of scale. Willsonman is nailing it here. It is one of my pet peeves about many foam ARFs that include panel lines... they have to be made so wide to be replicated in the manufacturing process that they look a kind of ridiculous when you think about a full scale version having gaps between the panels an inch wide or more.

So close now :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
This is so true, Carl. I've seen this kind of detail executed so flawlessly only to have it ruined by the lines being too wide and the rivet marks far too large in diameter. It ends up making the model look more like a cartoon.

Again, I always go for subtle rather than overkill. If something is overly weathered it again makes things look like the airplane has been sitting for a few decades rather than being actively flown and serviced. While these Marine schemes are usually done fairly dirty to sort of suggest that they were land/island based is rather ridiculous at times. The Marines run a tight crew and always have. I've never met or seen a dirty Marine or even suggested that their equipment would be unkempt.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yes, nice craftsmanship. I have actually never understood the "weathered look" as all the airplanes I have ever seen, both military and civilian, usually are kept in good condition while in service, unless they are dead or in battle.

WWII planes were a different story. The theaters of operation were frequently far from supply, and planes were fixed with whatever was on hand. Many fields kept battle damaged planes as parts pigs. The planes were frequently dirty, and the paint was weathered or missing in areas.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I have to disagree with you to an extent. From the conversations I have had with the folks in the restoration hangar at the Smithsonian, repair crews were required to maintain proper painting and coverage of an aircraft as a means to prevent friendly fire. Proper application of paint protected the aircraft from all sorts of corrosion and exposure. There was not a lot of time to keep patching the same panel so when a fix was done, it was done right. Keeping the aircraft fairly clean was part of this. Pictures of battle-worn aircraft were usually taken immediately post-flight for analysis and documentation for the extent of re-build or to send information back to the manufacturer. These images represent what and airplane came back with, not necessarily what they took off with.

Furthermore, when speaking to one of the paint experts, there were often discrepancies on paint colors. There was no digital matching of paint and batches of it were mixed in the field. Between sea salt corrosion, sun bleaching, and constant influx of new aircraft, there were often patches of what would have been the same color but in fact were not. They were ever so subtly different. This gentlemen said that if you did get a color picture of an aircraft, it was a depiction of what it looked like at that particular moment on that particular day. One sortie later it could look entirely different.

Bearing all of this in mind does allow us modelers to take quite a bit of artistic license but as I fly my models, I opt in for a more "serviced and maintained" look. Fairly clean. I leave imperfections in my modeling so that surfaces are not perfectly flat or smooth. I prefer more of the battle-ready look, rather than an airshow look or a hangar queen.

I think they were maintained as well as they possibly could be maintained. I know some of the historical things I read as a kid talked about the difficulty in keeping a plane flying when supplies were interrupted and other things happened. I have seen pictures of some of the paint, and it was frequently hastily applied by hand. In a D-day book I recently read, they talked about the sloppiness of the invasion stripes and how they were applied only immediately prior to the invasion, with paint brushes, so they wouldn't tip anyone off. I think you are right that they had requirements that were supposed to be met and they maintained the planes as well as they possibly could. If you believe all the things in Lou Zamperini's book the B-24s were often a rough bird, with the flying planes often being an amalgamation of other planes.

But I think in many instances, you are very correct, and high standards were always upheld, and there were a lot of planes that remained grounded from mechanical and other issues.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Last thing to do before I started adding rivets was to do access panels. You have these panels all over the aircraft and they are usually flush or slightly raised from servicing the aircraft. I do this with vinyl. I have a desktop vinyl cutter that is older now but still works great. The software allows me to easily draw up simple shapes and hit the go button. A couple of minutes later the vinyl is cut and I apply them with tweezers. I never touch the adhesive as oils from my fingers can cause them to raise after applied.

Wing bottom.
IMG_6053.JPG

H-stab bottom.
IMG_6054.JPG

Big circular one on the top of the fuselage.
IMG_6055.JPG

So for the rivets I'm using a 30W soldering iron from Radio Shack (Say WHAT???) where I have removed the solid tip and replaced it with a copper tube. The tube has an ID of 1/16". While this is a bit oversized for this scale, any smaller and the primer will melt into the tube so badly you would have to clean the tip after every rivet. I've tried. So, we have a compromise here. I hold the iron in my non-dominant hand and hold the tip by using tweezers in my dominant hand. For better accuracy, I also close my non-dominant eye at times. In my case, it's odd that my dominant eye is my left eye and my dominant hand is my right. It gets awkward at certain angles but it works well to get the placement.

Flap. Note the slight pencil lines I drew for reference when applying. This is per the reference printout. Always reference the technical drawings.
IMG_6056.JPG

center flap bottom.
IMG_6060.JPG

Center flap top.
IMG_6061.JPG

Flaps completed.
IMG_6062.JPG

Cowl completed.
IMG_6064.JPG

So you may be thinking "wait a minute, Joshua! You said you were going for subtle and that does NOT look subtle!" Bear in mind that we still have at least one coat of paint to apply along with a clear coat. These layers will fill these rivets slightly and the capillary action of the liquid will draw some paint/clear coat into the rivets filling them slightly.

My recommendation to anyone trying this for the first time is to take a piece of balsa, glass and prime it, apply rivets using different pressures and durations, and then apply some paint and clear coat. This will clue you in to how you may want to apply your rivets and work out your technique on the final product.

A wise college professor once told me that practice does not make perfect... PERFECT practice makes perfect. You can practice something wrong and you only reinforce something that is just wrong. So you can spend a couple of hours doing all of this only to find out that your end result is not what you want.

I also want to say that this really does not take that much time. I've got about 1.5 hours in on rivet application and I've completed the cowl, flaps, battery hatch, flap servo covers and that is with setting up a time lapse video and dorking around the shop. Whenever I post about this I always get the "I could never have patience to do that" comments. It's not about patience. Ask my wife, I HAVE NONE! It's about the result you get. This results in instant gratification in your build... something rarely observed. You do one line of rivets... taking a minute or two, and it looks amazing! It drives you to do more. I end up focusing on keeping the straight row and even placement and I totally lose myself in this. All of life's distractions melt away and in this moment, I don't have a care in the world and end up with a very gratifying result. Talk about THERAPY!!!

jaredstrees

I know that lost in the work feeling! It is nice to be able to get involved in a project and leave the stress behind you. And your attention to detail is amazing. Looking great!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Amazing, looks great. Have you had a physical lately? Cus, I know my heart would be racing when doing a maiden flight on such a great bird...

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I get that comment a lot on my builds as well. It's designed to fly, it's built to fly, it's powered to fly, ... why NOT fly it?! The first time is always a bit on the nerves but every model has an expiration date. Some sooner than others. The sooner you realize that the sooner you can enjoy the hobby more. I've only flown the Bugatti twice but hope to again... before this month is out. Losing the aircraft is never my concern... it's my piloting ability. The Bugatti requires some pretty fast thinking and a LOT of planning ahead/anticipation. The Corsair, I expect, will be a really nice model that will be a very scale-flying warbird. Taxing on the pilot but a joy to fly. I had my first maiden of the year already so the Corsair is next up to bat on that.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Words of wisdom, Not to worry - never to worry, is what an old pilot I used to fly with always said on takeoffs and landings...

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Rivets rivet rivets...

Family obliged me with a few hours of work. I got nearly all of the top side of the wing completed.
IMG_6068.JPG

IMG_6070.JPG

IMG_6071.JPG

This shot shows the area that I was not able to complete yet. The trailing edge (left) still needs rivets but should only take about another 20 minutes to complete.
IMG_6072.JPG

I want to make a couple of notes too. I always seem to neglect to share one thing I do on these rivets. Once they are down, I smooth over them with a fingernail. The heat sears into the primer and leaves a harsh edge that can cause paint to draw around and run. While you do want a little of this, it can me minimized by simply smoothing over it. Even a soft plastic, like a credit card, would do.

LOADS left to do. I leave for SEFF in TWO WEEKS!!! Let's go over the list...

Finish rivets on wing bottom and entire fuselage.
Paint
apply decals
apply clear coat
paint and install canopy (with sliding)
battery tray
install battery hatch with hinges and magnets
reassemble cowl flaps, dummy radial, cowl
glue in ALL control surfaces (includes re-connecting linkages, and checking for centering)
paint oleos and wheels/ install
finish bombs
radio mast (?)
CG check/ weight check
Taxi Test

AFTER SEFF list:
Tail gear doors
outfit cockpit with scale details and animated controls
Pitot tube cover

Two new batteries arrived in the mail yesterday. I'll first fly off the old pair so if it goes in I will not feel the pain of losing batteries. The deadline is approaching so let's get on with it.