Beginner collecting information about FPV

Hi guys,
a month ago, I finished my Tricopter build (I posted a thread called "First Tricopter Build - Advice welcome!" in the Multirotor newbie section). Since then I'm having a ton of fun, flying nearly every day. Even in strong winds, it is so nice to fly!
I knew before I build it, that at some point, I'm gonna buy an FPV kit. With these big steps I'm making (I really have the feeling that I get better with every flight I do) I think I will be able to mount FPV gear in the next couple of months (1-3 months, depends on how often I'm able to fly) when I get the money for it. I'd rather wait a little longer and spend a bit more than buy some cheapo gear and losing the fun with it after a couple of weeks.
So I'm searching for good FPV gear (glasses, cam, and TX) for a FPV beginner - and don't yell at me: I know I have little flying experience and should be practicing a bit more before starting FPV, but I like to inform me in advance, so that I can search for a good deal for some time.
Do you have recommendations for when it is a good idea to add FPV gear to a Tricopter? Something like "if you're able to fly the basic manouvers and do not get confused with directions and can do some loops and flips, then FPV is a good next step"? I know that one has to know that for himself, but I wanna know if I'm heading in the complete wrong direction and should be practicing a ton (like a year or so) more before even thinking about FPV...

I mainly looked at the fatshark goggles, because they are so popular and readily available, and they have kits including everything one needs. It seems like I have 2 viable options with fatshark:
Fat Shark Predator V2 - cheaper solution, smaller FOV
Fat Shark Attitude V2 - A bit more expensive, bigger FOV, connection to external sources possible

With "only" about 50€ difference, I'm heavily favoring the attitudes, as I said: I do want something that I don't grow out of too fast and I have the feeling that a greater FOV really can make a huge difference. I think Dominators are way to expensive for what you get with them, or am I wrong? They are the way to go if one wants the best possible goggles and doesn't care about money as much?

Please note that I'm living in germany and from what I know, you're only allowed to use 25mW TXs with the 5.4Ghz band... I'm using a Spektrum DX6i, so I control via 2.4Ghz.

So my questions to you guys are:
Are the features and greater FOV of the Attitudes worth the 50€?
Are there any other good alternatives that I forgot? Although I have to admit that I often like the "mainstream" alternatives a bit better with these things, as more people are able to help you with problems that could occur.
What can I realisticaly expect for the range of a 25mW TX + Fatshark RX when I use circular polarized antennas? - I've read anything from signal loss after 100m to guys that pretend to be flown over 2km. I'm thinking of about 250-500m, is that realistic?
Should I really absolutley stop thinking about FPV in the near future because it would be totally dumb to start it with only 2-4 months flying experience? - I hope not, because I'm absolutlely fascinated by it!

Do note the smiley of this thread: It has a smile on his face with his goggles. That's what I want, too! ;)
Thanks in advance for any tips you give me. If this will go as well as it went with my Tricopter build, I can't be happier!
-1387 :)

johnmw

propulsion impromptu
imho you have it figured out actually, as you have the preferred choice of brand and model.
whether the added advantage is worth the price, it would depend much on your budget and how comfortable and serious you are with the purchase to be.
if it is of any affirmation, i'd go with the Attitude if i were you albeit i am no expert.

physically, fpv does not add anything to flight capability (aside from added weight), yet it is an added experience to the hobby.
so do not worry if you have little flying hours as long as you are sensible and responsible about it.

just my 2cts.

Thanks johnmw,

yeah, I have a preferred brand and model. The 50€ are minor in comparison to the total price. If these 50€ help me getting a kit that I'm content with for a longer period of time, for me its worth the money. But I've seen that many of you guys in this forum recommend the Predators, as they seem to be the "best bang for the buck"-solution.
I have a preferred brand, but I'm also curious about other solutions. There may be other brands that have cheaper goggles with the same specs or the same price and added features. I don't want to be missing out on those solutions! But I haven't found something like the Fatsharks, more like cheap screens with a face-holder thingy and that's not what I'm aiming for.

Thanks for your 2cts. I think like you and say: If I'm able to fly decently, why not try FPV. Why not learn FPV flying while learning line of sight more advanced stuff. But there seem to be many people that think that one should have long experience before starting FPV and I wondered if there is a reason for it, other than one should be able to control the model if the video connections gets interupted, but that should not be too hard?.. If somebody who has that opinion or who knows why that opinion exists can tell me, I'm curious! :)

Thanks for your answer

johnmw

propulsion impromptu
if i may share a tad more,
i'm for one is cheap on RC hobby (among others) but not blindly at that.
for one of the reasons is to source for good reference prior to purchasing.
reviews whether it's brilliant or crap, (for e.g. rcmodelsreviews youtube channel) among many many others.
i won't be able to say i always get the best bang for the buck kinda deal due to that, simply because i realized that there bound to be more and better value (of those) items to be released in the future (for me to upgrade etc.).
in that sense i am not worrying on missing a train.
as long as within my budget, comfortable and happy with it, it's good enough for me.
but this is just me, happy flying!

Hi johnmw,
thanks again for your quick reply.
We both think alike I think. I also watched nearly every FT Video among many other channels. The information on youtube really got me started into the hobby.
I don't really search the very best product for the lowest possible price. Most times, one can't notice the difference between the best and the second best product, so I'm not really concerned too much about that. But I do want to purchase good products.
Let me compare that to an other product that many can relate to:
I don't need the very best smartphone on the market, but I am looking for a Phone that I am happy with for a longer period of time. As time passes, better products will appear on the market, but I can still be content with my older phone.
But when I purchase a cheapo 80€ Smartphone with a small screen and crappy processor, I wil get sick of it in a few weeks, even when it is cool at first. So I want a middle class phone that serves me well and in 2 years I can still say: It is enough for my needs. :)
That's how I think about the FPV gear aswell. I don't need Dominators, but I dont wanna buy a small screen to clip on my transmitter either, as I will not be pleased with that for a longer period of time. So I'm searching for the middle ground between the best and possible very expensive product and a cheap product that you lose the fun with after a couple of uses... Im willing to spend the money needed for my demands (I think about 350€ max).

So, if anybody knows goggles other than Fatsharks, that are comparable to Predators or Attitudes, I'm very interested about suggestions! :)