beginner diy rc plane? On a budget

megaplane123

Hey guys im new to rc planes. Never flew one or made one. I saw this video
which seems pretty intresting. The issue is that the parts are somewhat expensive, do you guys know if I can use any alternatives in these parts.
Or do you guys know of any cool foam or carboard builds that are fairly cheap. I really want to make one my self. Thank you
EDIT: video says its unavailable. False it is just youtube being weird I guess

luvmy40

Elite member
Hey guys im new to rc planes. Never flew one or made one. I saw this video
which seems pretty intresting. The issue is that the parts are somewhat expensive, do you guys know if I can use any alternatives in these parts.
Or do you guys know of any cool foam or carboard builds that are fairly cheap. I really want to make one my self. Thank you
EDIT: video says its unavailable. False it is just youtube being weird I guess
Well, I can't see the video, but:
Download the FT tiny Trainer or Simple Scout plans, buy a half dozen sheets of DTFB, get a power pack from FT or ToTsRC, and a FlySky FSi6X radio w/6 channel Receiver on amazon or ebay and you will be flying for under $150.00 easy.

Oh yeah, get a few extra pieces of foam board, You will crash and crash again, and again. AND, you will have a blast doing it!

megaplane123

Download the FT tiny Trainer or Simple Scout plans, buy a half dozen sheets of DTFB, get a power pack from FT or ToTsRC, and a FlySky FSi6X radio w/6 channel Receiver on amazon or ebay and you will be flying for under $150.00 easy.

Oh yeah, get a few extra pieces of foam board, You will crash and crash again, and again. AND, you will have a blast doing it!
click watch on youtube or just copy the url
thanks for the info. Whats the cheapest powerpack?

megaplane123

https://totsrc.com/products/a2217-1100kv-40a-4s-esc-4x-mg90s-servos-w-10x4-5-prop
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744DPPL8/?tag=lstir-20
how are these. Btw is there any cheaper transmitter/receiver that's a bit cheaper?

megaplane123

This is about the least expensive radio combo out there that is of any quality. I just read that Edge(or Open)TX will be releasing a version to flash the FSi6X.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z8VCB45/?tag=lstir-20

Here is a good power pack for the Tiny Trainer: https://totsrc.com/products/a2212-1000kv-1400kv-30-amp-esc-4x-mg90s-mini-servo-3s-esc-30a-esc-props

It should work for the simple Scout as well.
Thank you for all the help but how do I cut the fome for the simple scout? Do I need to print a paper that is a certain size? With the pdf. In fact where can I find the pdf?

luvmy40

Elite member
The free plans are all in the resources forum or Google "Sponz Plan Index". Down load Adobe Acrobat DC and it will print the plans in poster mode. This prints the 20"x 30" plans on 8.5 x 11 standard paper. You can align them and tape them together to apply to the DTFB and cut out by hand with a utility knife or scalpel.

megaplane123

The free plans are all in the resources forum or Google "Sponz Plan Index". Down load Adobe Acrobat DC and it will print the plans in poster mode. This prints the 20"x 30" plans on 8.5 x 11 standard paper. You can align them and tape them together to apply to the DTFB and cut out by hand with a utility knife or scalpel.
Once again thank you!

luvmy40

Elite member
You could also really go down the rabbit hole and build a CNC Needle cutter. But then you'd have to learn a bunch of cool software and stuff.

Just sayin'...

MaxTheFliteFreak

One thing that I can reccomend is definately the Tiny Trainer, but instead you can make it a two channel glider and take it to a local park with a small hil, and toss it off. It will build the crucial muscle memory and can last a lot longer than a ten minute powered flight! You can also grow with this too, because you can of course make it a 3 channel glider with the added ailerons, and/or go to a local airfield and ask if someone can tow you up with a towplane, or if they have a highstart that you can borrow. There is just so much to be done with such little equipment, so I think you should build the Tiny Trainer, so that you can get a taste of both powered and unpowered flight. I would strongly reccomend going on YouTube and watching some videos and tutorials on the dos and don'ts of the hobby, so that you can stay safe and responsible. Goodluck, happy flying and keep posting!

megaplane123

One thing that I can reccomend is definately the Tiny Trainer, but instead you can make it a two channel glider and take it to a local park with a small hil, and toss it off. It will build the crucial muscle memory and can last a lot longer than a ten minute powered flight! You can also grow with this too, because you can of course make it a 3 channel glider with the added ailerons, and/or go to a local airfield and ask if someone can tow you up with a towplane, or if they have a highstart that you can borrow. There is just so much to be done with such little equipment, so I think you should build the Tiny Trainer, so that you can get a taste of both powered and unpowered flight. I would strongly reccomend going on YouTube and watching some videos and tutorials on the dos and don'ts of the hobby, so that you can stay safe and responsible. Goodluck, happy flying and keep posting!
I kind of want to go with simple scout. It looks cooler, which is a essential part in planning for me.

luvmy40

Elite member
Dollar Tree or Dollar General both sell Adams Readi Board. It's $1.00 per 20 x 30 sheet at DG and $1.25 per sheet at DT. DG seems to bne oput of stock everywhere in my area but I just bought a 20 piece box at DT last week.

The Mini Scout is a one sheet, easy build that flies great. You'll need some thin poster board for the turtle deck. I haven't flown my full size or XL size Scouts yet.

Last edited:

RossFPV

Dollar Tree or Dollar General both sell Adams Readi Board. It's $100 per 20 x 30 sheet at DG and $1.25 per sheet at DT. DG seems to bne oput of stock everywhere in my area but I just bought a 20 piece box at DT last week.

The Mini Scout is a one sheet, easy build that flies great. You'll need some thin poster board for the turtle deck. I haven't flown my full size or XL size Scouts yet.
I think you mean 1$ per sheet at DG not 100$

megaplane123

also do I need to get a seperate battery or do they come with powerpacks? Also does the power pack from ToTsRC, do you need to sodder anything with it?
Also how is this powerpack for amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0855QMNCK/?tag=lstir-20

RossFPV

also do I need to get a seperate battery or do they come with powerpacks? Also does the power pack from ToTsRC, do you need to sodder anything with it?
Also how is this powerpack for amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0855QMNCK/?tag=lstir-20
If you buy a Flitetest powerpack you will need a battery, radio and receiver, and your plane of choice. I dont have any experience with the ToTsRC powerpacks so i cant really answer any questions about them.

megaplane123

If you buy a Flitetest powerpack you will need a battery, radio and receiver, and your plane of choice. I dont have any experience with the ToTsRC powerpacks so i cant really answer any questions about them.
I will prob get the flitetest powerpack, any reccomendations for a bettery?