beginner miltirotor soldering????

jpkalilec

Hi guys, I would like to start making videos on youtube to help other people with fixing their planes, helis and multirotors. I made this video on how to re-solder battery connectors so if you guys would like to watch it and give me feedback, that would be great!

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Great video, but are you sure that that is the female end? The connection to your battery was female. I like flux core solder as well. The rest was pretty good, informational, and would help anyone. Your next video should show the basics for setting up a control board if you are going multi rotor (that sounded odd, going multi rotor). Or it could show the importance of having everything correct (CG connections, prop on right way, etc. ) Great Video.

jpkalilec

thank you for the feedback! im not sure but I might actually have some other rc videos up but they are probably plane videos

joshuabardwell

Mentor
When I solder battery connectors onto live batteries, I never remove the connector from both wires at the same time. First I cut the ground wire off of the old connector, then I solder it to the new connector and heat shrink it. Then I cut the hot wire off the old connector, solder it, and heat shrink it. This reduces the chances of accidentally shorting the leads.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
When I solder battery connectors onto live batteries, I never remove the connector from both wires at the same time. First I cut the ground wire off of the old connector, then I solder it to the new connector and heat shrink it. Then I cut the hot wire off the old connector, solder it, and heat shrink it. This reduces the chances of accidentally shorting the leads.

I second this one. When soldering battery connectors, make it hard to short out the leads. Do one connector at a time. :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
At 1:49 and 1:57 you are _very_ close to shorting the battery with your pliers. :eek:

One thing I've just learned myself is that lead free solder doesn't look shiny. So that tip might not be right for everybody.

I liked that you showed each step. Too often you just get a "do this, do that and I have something prepared already..."

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
At 1:49 and 1:57 you are _very_ close to shorting the battery with your pliers. :eek:

I liked that you showed each step. Too often you just get a "do this, do that and I have something prepared already..."
so true, and i am now looking back and i too see that you are almost shorting stuff out.