Beginner needing advice

SSgt Duramax

FT Explorer is one of the easiest to fly, and it's easy to land as the large wingspan helps it land very slow and stable.

Also since it's a pusher, its forgiving to small nose crashes as you wont break a prop everytime.
It is worth noting i had to extend the nose of my explorer to get good CG without adding a ton of weight. There are some other promising pusher trainer type plane that exist and run on a mini power pack too. I ended up designing my own, it is 36 inches long and flies on a modified tiny trainer wing with an A pack motor.

checkerboardflyer

Good advice about belly landers. The pics below are for a belly lander with a pusher prop that probably won’t get broken in a rough landing. Called a VOLANTEXRC RC Glider. It’s available at Amazon and other places. And this one has a button on the transmitter called One Key Return. What that does is to bring the plane back to you; doesn’t land it, just brings it back overhead. You can check out the YouTube video, scroll to the last 5 minutes to see the Return function being demonstrated. More tips and resources for foam board RC modelers on my blog at: https://foamboardflyers.com

Attachments

• voltanec one key return - 1.jpeg
    voltanec one key return - 1.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
  • voltanec one key return - 2.jpeg
    voltanec one key return - 2.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0

Bentwings

I’ve been flying many years but my vision is failing now. I’ve had many different retracts electric and air in big and small planes both tail draggers and trike gear. Big heavy planes are hard on any retracts. Rough fields make it even harder to maintain them.I’ve even had custom struts made as well as designed my own. If you can make perfect landings every time , it still deems the gear get beat up. I had endless spare parts. When you see how badly bent they get it makes you wonder why they didn’t just get ripped out. Many did even on gentle landings.
the belly in at first as probably a good idea especially with electrics. I’m used to big heavy gas motors and heavy planes but that crack in the pavement you didn’t see or forgot about always seems read to bust something. Or the gopher hole that trips your plural nose first busting a $30. Prop plus’s a $ 75 strut just gets old in a hurry..

retracts are simply an expense item. If you can afford it, enjoy them for what they are. I don’t think I’d get too excited about then on a foam plane. A 50+ pound built up warbird…. Wel l thr total dollar value makes retracts probably a necessity. Live with the maintenance cost. When you have $10,000 bucks invested in them. A couple h7ndred occasionally is just operating cost for a big plane just like full sized. I come from top fuel drag racing while sponsors paid a lot of operational costs., the amounts spent on maintenance was truly rediculous. .
im probably not the one to get involved with on hobby expense. My goal is to stay in budget what ever it is. I’m my own governor . If it gets to be too much, we’ll it’s gone. Do something else less expensive.
byron

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'll throw a nickle in jar for belly landing too.

Grass (of any height) is preferred but i really don't have as much wear as you might expect frequently landing on gravel/dirt.

Even on planes with low mounted motors I've broken very frew props in the years I've been flying. Main thing is to remember to kill the throttle before you touch down, after that, some attempt at a flair when land down doesn't hurt.

Hand lunching is another matter. An assistant is nice when you are still learning but not a requirement. I tend to prefer to hold my controller in my left hand and throw with the right while using the left hand to throttle up. A properly trimmed plane should easily fly long enough to get your right hand on the controls.

SSgt Duramax

OP - have you considered a simulator?
Can save you a lot of grief no matter which plane you finally build.
I used a phone one before i started flying again. It isnt the same tactile experience and the models probably arent accurate to what you have, but you get the basics like being able to land and getting used to the controls when the plane is flying toward you. And it was free.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
FT Explorer is one of the easiest to fly, and it's easy to land as the large wingspan helps it land very slow and stable.

Also since it's a pusher, its forgiving to small nose crashes as you wont break a prop everytime.
Just install a 1/4x1/4 x 3' wooding stick along the front of the spar for strength.

SSgt Duramax

Just install a 1/4x1/4 x 3' wooding stick along the front of the spar for strength.
This, I did a carbon arrow spar which is an option as well. You can get a bolt and thread it between two short arrows and bend it for dihedral.

I did an EA/Armin/Master style wing for it with a 60 inch span and 10 degrees dihedral and it flew great. The fuselage is starting to be scrapped for other planes I am building, but that wing is still strong! I am keeping it, another forum member suggested I build a Legacy body and put it on that.

Just heed what I wrote about the nose above, and be sure to get that thrust angle right! Those high mount pushers are finicky about the thrust angle.

Incader

Good Day All!
Have been flying drones a while now and looking to get into the RC flight game. Which set up would be better, tail dragger or tricycle landing gear? Don't want to have too many rough lands. I figured I would ask the forum for their advice. Thank you!
If you’re looking for better suspension options then go for the taildragger. Overall for a beginner a tricycle gear plane gives an easier landing. It also depends on the kind of plane your flying too. Welcome to the hobby @Dji-maineiac and I wish you luck in the air!

Bentwings

Both are good planes.

The Trojan is awesome though.
I’ve been in Rc ver since reed radios were popular. A long time. I’ve had tail staggers and trikes lots of retracts. Big warbirds are mostly tail drag gets. The big issue with them is many people jump into them and try instant take off ofvthe aerobatic planes. Guaranteed not to work unless you have a fly weight plane already well trimmed. There are countless videos of crashes due to so called torque roll the full sized were prone to this too that’s why there was extensive training. You didn’t get your wings untill you could do a controlled takeoff easily . Twins like the c47 and P 38 had many engine failures on take off so you had to know what to do with rudder and to stay off the ailerons you had to learn how to slip the planes the cub was a perfect trainer many took their first flights in them you had to do something really stupid in them to crash one .
so to answer the question many of the above post point out the frailty of each design. My opinion is trike gear first to get off the ground an learn rudder control. Then go to the cub and learn other fine points of flight. Making nice gentle stretched out landings give you a chance to fly close to the ground and make controlled landings rather than a flop down on the ground. It will then transfer over to the tail dragged where you do the same thing nice and easy smooth landings. Things will go much easier and less expensive. It helps to use a flight trainer . If you have been doing drones that land themselves maybe you can define this so you have more control of stability. The Microsoft flight sim is real good some games are good aces of the pacific was my favorite as you could practice endlessly on semi realistic stability. Landing on a carrier was tough especially if you ere shot up. It’s probably essential to have a good instructor. I liked to do show and tell while I was instructing . Dhow the maneuver then explain it. Then help the student through it . It’s actually hard to be the instructor especially if the student is expecting miracles the first time around every one does. But your first hands of success will be invaluable. If you do fpv it may help as you are right there in the cockpit that’s why the sims are good don’t alway fly from behind the plane get inside. I used to imagine this all the time I had some really spectacular crashes but most due to pilot error I don’t think I ever had airframe failure crash that I didn’t do a good ground inspection first just lik full scale I kept log books for years just like full scale .

Good luck
byron

Piotrsko

Master member
Hmmm someone else who knows what reeds were.

My $0.02: a beginner needs something that will basically fly by itself for a moment or so. When in trouble, let go of the sticks and given enough space and time, the plane will self correct. Hence the 3 mistake high rule. This is unnecessary if you are buddy boxed to someone who demonstrates they know how to fly on their plane. Before you add power, center everything on the plane and test glide it power off. You want it to land perhaps 100ft in front of you and not do anything but touch down in a mostly level attitude. Adjust surfaces by the pushrods until it does. (This is also handy for perfect landings: throttle back and just watch the plane mostly land itself) transmitter trim is for those times that something is different from the last flight or where you can't adjust things mechanically

Last edited:

Incader

Hmmm someone else who knows what reeds were.

My $0.02: a beginner needs something that will basically fly by itself for a moment or so. When in trouble, let go of the sticks and given enough space and time, the plane will self correct. Hence the 3 mistake high rule. This is unnecessary if you are buddy boxed to someone who demonstrates they know how to fly on their plane. Before you add power, center everything on the plane and test glide it power off. You want it to land perhaps 100ft in front of you and not do anything but touch down in a mostly level attitude. Adjust surfaces by the pushrods until it does. (This is also handy for perfect landings: throttle back and just watch the plane mostly land itself) transmitter trim is for those times that something is different from the last flight or where you can't adjust things mechanically
I think I would’ve payed a lot more than $0.02 when I was starting out!

quorneng

Master member
Player4
I hope your scratch built plane is reasonably tough! Much of trimming is "try and see what happens".
If your plane is of a fairly conventional configuration first arrange that it balances at a point 25% of the wing's width back from the leading edge.
This is a fairly safe balance position for an initial glide preferably over long grass to reduce the damage from the almost inevitable crashes.
Don't throw the plane hard but launch it in a slightly nose down attitude. If it just dives into the ground try launching it a bit faster. If it still tends to dive than its time to start adjust the tail plane to raise its trailing edge. Do this in small steps until it glides smoothly without climbing or diving. You may have to also adjust the rudder if it tends to always turn in the same direction.
If the plane climbs from the launch, slows down and then dives the trailing edge of the tail plane needs to be lowered in small steps until it glides smoothly.
If it is a powered plane then it may be necessary to alter the angle of the motor to get it fly smoothly even if it glides well.
This is only a basic summary there a many other things, like twists in the wings, that could make flying almost impossible.

Just an aside there is a lot to be said for initially building a proven design as providing you build it right and follow the instructions it will fly.
Sorry but unless you have sufficient experience getting a scratch build to fly properly is whole orders more difficult and more likely to fail.

voyhager3

I agree with PsyBorg. Building your first plane has some distinct advantages over a store bought plane. Building your own plane teaches you the skills need to repair your plane. SAFE or not, everyone will crash, its not a matter of if you will crash, it’s when. After you have built a plane, you know you can repair it or rebuild it.

FT has several excellent trainers, the FT Explorer, Simple Cub, Tiny Trainer, Simple Scout are just a few worthy of consideration.

Don't forget the simple Storch! Even though the landing gear is mildly complex, its very durable, and I've trained 2 people on it, with a nice 2200mah, flies like a dream, as long as you can get the gear built...

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Ready Player4,
Sorry, couldn't resist. Whole heartedly agree with @quorneng. If you are building one of the Flite Test designs then follow the instructions and build videos and you'll have a good flier immediately. It may take a little trim once it's flying but only to compensate for the little imperfections that we all build in.
If you're building your own design the only thing I do differently from @quorneng is do the glide test before installing the servos or other electronics. I either score in the control surfaces without allowing them to move (yet) or if the design will make doing the cut throughs and beveling too difficult then I use a tooth pick to pin them in a neutral position. Then I'll use weights to get the CG at a point 25% of the wing's width back from the leading edge. This keeps the airframe very light and reduces the potential damage as you test it and adjust the CG by moving the weight forward or backwards to get a nice smooth descent without porpoising.

vrockdest

I have a busted up tiny trainer, I'd kind of like to build a fuselage out of the EPP foam, and try out the two mostly intact wings. I just got some foam packaging that just might let me do it.

Last edited:
I have a busted up tiny trainer, I'd kind of like to build a fuselage out of the EPP foam, and try out the two mostly intact wings. I just got some foam packaging that just might let me do it.
That would work. Packaging foam might be too heavy though for your tiny trainer wing. I can't recommend enough The FT Tenant kit v2! If you wrap the foam fuselage with tape. It's pretty resistant to damage other than a little crushing. You can probably use your tiny trainer wing if you build it light. But the kit has other wings that go together very quickly and easily. You will likely need to use much lower rates like 50 to 60% as a beginner will find it twitchy. The pusher will take crash after crash with the tape and you'll learn how to fly. Lastly, I can't tell you enough to have someone at your local club fly and trim the plane for the maiden and get the rates correct, So you'll have the best chance to fly on your own. Then you'll have flight after flight after flight so you can learn orientation and controls. Good luck. On higher rates it'll do all kinds of stupid fun maneuvers. Lastly, it comes with a second fuselage that is a pusher with the other style landing gear. If you bend the landing gear forward, it ends up being like a tiny STOL plane that you can take off over and over again and practice landings it's quite fun.