Beginner Series - A Transmitter focused episode

mindymoo

Hi guys,

Just curious if there's going to be a Transmitter focused episode in the new "Beginner Series". I'm just curious, as I'm looking seriously at the "Bixler 2" and I'm not sure whether to go with the Mode 1 or Mode 2 Transmitter setup. That plus as I'm still a newbie to flying, it'd be nice to have a proper video resource on this.

Some possible areas that such an episode could cover:

What are the positives and negatives of either Transmitter Mode setup?

Is it easier to learn on one Transmitter Mode rather than the other?

What's the range of most stock Transmitters?

What are the do's and don'ts of Transmitter care?

Transmitters are an investment as well, so what's the best way to safely store them when not in use?

What are the do's and don'ts of Transmitter use and ettiqutte both while on the ground and flying?

RoyBro

Mentor
I think that feature sets for different price ranges would be helpful. For instance, what can we expect with Hobby King's $30 transmitter, vs. $50-$100 transmitters like the Turnigy and Orange. $100-$200 like the Taranis, $200-$500 and $500+. It should cover number of channels, programability, flashing, telemetry, etc.

The difference in modes is more a regional preference. In the US, for instance, we mostly use Mode 2. But there is nothing stopping us from using Mode 1, 3 or 4 if that's what we prefer.

Regardless, I'm sure they already have a plan for the remainder of the beginner series. But it never hurts to ask.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
If you live in an area with other flyers - go with the same mode as they use. It is hard to get help / buddy, trimming etc if you use different setups. That is one reason i suggest first (beginner) radio to be a Futaba or Spektrum. You will find those brands used by many flyers in most clubs.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I didn't know the difference between Mode 1 and Mode 2 when I bought my Tx. So I ended up getting Mode 1. I actually love Mode 1, but I still plan on making the switch to Mode 2 just because it's what everyone else uses.

Well, technically I fly Mode 3. Having the Ailerons and the Elevator on two different sticks doesn't make sense to me. But that is just a technicality. It's still a Mode 1 Tx.

Even though I don't currently fly with other people, I want to switch to Mode 2 because it's what everyone else uses in the USA and it would be nice to be able to get other people into the hobby without teaching them "wrong". It would also be nice to hand over my controls to some one that knows how to fly without them crashing. Or them handing me their controls without me crashing.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
What is with the bots lately? Shaw Geoff is like the fourth or fifth we've had here.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No problem, Dan. I'm glad to help when I can.
Is the posting bot a new deal for just us or is it a web wide phenomenon?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
This guy is fairly new to us, AFAIK, but they're everywhere.

We'll try to nail them as soon as they arrive, but hit the report button if something looks fishy -- this particular guy will post something in context, but it won't make sense with the thread. the "report" will flag it and the ban-hammer will descend rapidly from above (if it is indeed a bot).

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The sig is a sure sign. Don't click on it!! As well as a post that is almost a fit, but mostly sounds like an advertisement of some sort...

And we have completely hijacked this thread....

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
what? this is the basics of transmitting info to the mods! no? yeah, that is stretching it a bit . . .

OK, back on topic . . .

Great idea for a show, but might get dated pretty quick. TX state-of-the-art is moving upward and (at least to me) feels like it's accelerating. I doubt the fancy DX9's will stay so fancy for long -- too many awesome players on the field shaking out new ideas!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Our Tx's are heading the way of the gamer computer in respect to chasing the brass ring. Latest and greatest this month is obsolete next month. This the perfect reason to have an up-datable (flash-able) radio.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Our Tx's are heading the way of the gamer computer in respect to chasing the brass ring. Latest and greatest this month is obsolete next month. This the perfect reason to have an up-datable (flash-able) radio.

True, but you can still hold out hope a freshly obsolete Taranis might become easy to find . . .

RoyBro

Mentor
As for the beginner series, maybe they can focus on transmitters up to $200. Transmitters a beginner would be more likely to buy. Like the HK T6A, 9x and 9xr, Tactic, Taranis, etc.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Let's just hope he doesn't shift his attention to whatever made the Taranis obsolete. ;)
Sorry, no, I quit chasing the latest and greatest a long time ago when I realized it was cheaper to let the hip and trendy Beta test the new shiny, and then I'll buy what they leave behind when the "brand new and improved, just gotta have it" comes out and the price drops. I like the Taranis for the features it has. It combines everything I modded my 9X to do with better hardware. I can't see needing another radio anytime soon. It's even got slidey things on it!

.XxBensterxX.

Intermediate Hobbyist
Do you guys think that a DX4e Spektrum controller is good for awhile? Or should I invest some money into a new radio/transmitter?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you already have it, use it. But if you plan on buying one, I would not recommend it because you'll grow out of it quickly. But if you have one already, use it to learn to fly as you decide what your new radio will need to have. You'll be more able to make an informed decision once you have some experience.