Beyond the basics of scratch building, suggest threads or videos please

Mckee

I am starting my third scratch build, so far I have build the Tiny Trainer, and the Sparrow. I've been watching the various build videos on YouTube from FliteTest, and Experimental Airlines. I've chosen my third build poorly (complicated twin engine), but I am going for it. What videos and or write ups are out there about stepping up the building skill past throwing a simple place together in an afternoon (I just discovered the FT Master series today)?

leaded50

Legendary member
making templates for skins....

Attachments

• DSC_0151 (1).JPG
    DSC_0151 (1).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

marwen

I am starting my third scratch build, so far I have build the Tiny Trainer, and the Sparrow. I've been watching the various build videos on YouTube from FliteTest, and Experimental Airlines. I've chosen my third build poorly (complicated twin engine), but I am going for it. What videos and or write ups are out there about stepping up the building skill past throwing a simple place together in an afternoon (I just discovered the FT Master series today)?

Good Effort! Mckee

quorneng

Master member
If you want to create really complex shapes using sheet foam you may have to revise the building technique.
If you consider wood boat building they have to achieve accurate smooth shapes which they do by using long planks stem to stern.
Not a common process on model plane foam building but it does give a wonderfully smooth profile and as an important by product means the glued joints are along the line of stress rather than across it resulting in a stronger and/or lighter structure.
It takes a bit of practise but you can build quite big sections all in one go.
NosePlank2.JPG

It is hard to imagine a structure that gives a better strength to weight ratio which is ultimately what planes are all about.;)

Last edited:

Mckee

I wondered about that. I was tempted to build stations and the "plank"up the plane in sections.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
For reference if you need it i do have some tips videos on my YT channel linked in my signature below this message. Go onto my channel and select "Quick Tips" in my playlist and there will be some building vids that are beyond the regular FT stuff if you are interested in learning new techniques. Check it out and subscribe if you like.

I also have a Quick Tips thread, here is that link. This is where i and many others have posted their little tricks and ideas as well. There is a bunch of stuff to pick up on to make your builds either stronger, more aerodynamic, easier to build, look better, there are so many things people have come up with to improve on a great system we already have