Help! big stuff small plane

xavche

does anyone know if you can put a power pack b with a 1300 mah 3s batt in a mighty mini plane?

(i whould like to make a mighty mini mustang but i do not have a power pack f)

Foamforce

It would probably fly, but it would be quite heavy. I think that means it will have to be flown fast to prevent stalls and you’ll need a long takeoff.

Gazoo

The first FT plane I made was a mini Old Speedster. I put in a power pack B because it was sent to me instead of the A pack. It used a 9X4.7 prop. There was way too much torque on a prop of that size for the mini. The flight lasted for about three seconds before it rolled uncontrollably into the turf and self destructed.

Mini Mustang might be OK but beware of torque roll with that small wing span.

quorneng

Master member
I agree with Gazoo.
Even if you throttle back so that the big motor is producing the same thrust as the smaller motor would the bigger prop will still need more torque. Add to that the extra weight will mean its minimum speed for adequate control will be that much faster which means a bit more thrust & torque. You can see the problems of the first few seconds of flight with such a layout.

It may be possible to get away with reduced power and a strong launch but those first few seconds will not be easy.

xavche

i don't really want to fly with a foot and a half of snow on the ground so i think i will continue this
project in the spring

Foamforce

i don't really want to fly with a foot and a half of snow on the ground so i think i will continue this
project in the spring

Make some little floats for the snow and send it! I think you need more power for taking off in snow so you just have a reasonable use case for being over powered. :D

xavche

Make some little floats for the snow and send it! I think you need more power for taking off in snow so you just have a reasonable use case for being over powered. :D
floats on a mustang!?! are you all right?
just kidding

Attachments

• IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0