Bit of a problem

Aviator936

Hey i just aquired a tl2000 sting 35cc gas engine and i have no idea how to prep and start this engine. Im going tothe airfield where someone can help me but im wondering if its seized up... When I try and turn it, it is stiff and makes a pop sound like when you put your hand on a pvc pipe. Please help!!

Aviator936

Hey i just aquired a tl2000 sting 35cc gas engine and i have no idea how to prep and start this engine. Im going tothe airfield where someone can help me but im wondering if its seized up... When I try and turn it, it is stiff and makes a pop sound like when you put your hand on a pvc pipe. Please help!!
It was sitting for 6 years for your information

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok thanks, havent tried starting it yet... I will update you??

Sure there are also plenty of other nitro guys here. Try and get some video of any issues or success's to make it easier for people to help you or praise you and cheer you on.

Arcfyre

Elite member
That pop sound you mentioned is normal and just a function of the compression of the engine. If it DIDN'T make that noise you'd have much bigger problems.

Starting procedure for gas engines is a little different from nitro. I'm assuming you have the fuel lines installed correctly, fuel in the tank & the carb needles set to factory settings.

That being said, the carb on a gasser will have a butterfly valve ahead of the throttle valve called a choke. Close this valve so that the carburetor is restricted (choked). Turn ignition OFF. Move throttle to full power and spin the prop either by hand or with a starter to pull fuel into the carb. If it's been sitting for a long time it may take 20+ flips to get fuel to flow. 3-4 seconds with an electric starter should do it. You have now primed the engine.

Once the engine is primed, leave it choked, and turn the ignition ON. Reduce throttle to slightly above idle. Flip the prop by hand (carefully!) Or use a starter until the motor pops or even runs for a second or two. Once it pops, UN-choke the carb, and flip the prop again. It should start up.

Hope this helps.

L Edge

Master member
Before you start it, suggest the following:

1) make sure its fresh gas and you have the right fuel/oil mixture.(use breakin first/regular)
2)check the gap(or replace the spark plug)
3) get a fresh battery for ignition.
4) I would order the replacement kit for the Walbro carb since the rubber is eaten up over time.
5) Make sure you have the right prop.
6 Go on line and find info for setting the correct turns for high and low idle screws. Read over and over how to tune(basically every time you adjust the highend adjust the low.
7) the midrange is the trouble(where it go fat or lean)
8) have a way of measuring temperature which will make it easier.

Really suggest you get an gas expert to help you(not a nitro guy) and for God's sake, that prop is a deadly weapon, think it out before you do.

Found a source that tells you why/what to look at and what happens.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/51233497/how-to-tune-a-gas-rc-engine-with-a-walbro-carburetor

Last edited: