Help! Brushless motor getting too hot, impossible to touch.

BobBurger69

So I built an ft mini mustang and the motor got closes to 100 degrees when I checked it. I am using the power pack a with the Radial 1806 2280kV motor.

I am also using a 3s 800mah lipo.

Any ideas on why it's getting so hot and how to fix it?

Timmy

Legendary member
So I built an ft mini mustang and the motor got closes to 100 degrees when I checked it. I am using the power pack a with the Radial 1806 2280kV motor.

I am also using a 3s 800mah lipo.

Any ideas on why it's getting so hot and how to fix it?
What propeller?

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
Try to peek under the motor bell housing to make sure none of your mounting screws are touching the copper windings.

FrankFly

Try a 6X3 prop instead of a 6X4, i think the prop is too much for that motor.
I have several of those motors running fine with 3S batteries on 6x3x2, 5x4.5x3, 4x4.5x3 and 4x4.5x2.
I agree you might have just a bit too much prop.

Beware, however, of the uxcell 6030 props on Amazon. Inexpensive, yes. But so thin they vibrate at speed and are extremely loud. I stopped using them for fear of throwing blades.

Last edited:

BobBurger69

I have several of those motors running fine on 6x3x2, 5x4.5x3, 4x4.5x3 and 4x4.5x2.
I agree you might have just a bit too much prop.

Beware, however, of the uxcell 6030 props on Amazon. Inexpensive, yes. But so thin they vibrate at speed and are extremely loud. I stopped using them for fear of throwing blades.
yea, I thought about that problem, most likely, 6x3 props had no problem, but I broke them. I thought the 6x4s would do fine, but turns out not so much, I bought them because nobody had any 6x3 props in stock at my local hobby stores or amazon

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
yup, I dropped in to share... my A pack motors can do 3S 6x3, but can only do 2s for 6x4.5. 3s 6x4.5 overheated the motors in ~5-10 seconds (or something like that) at max throttle..

Sero

Elite member
I'm assuming Fahrenheit? 100 F is fine. You can go to 150-160 with no problems, some of my planes will hit 170 regularly. Just keep an eye on you firewall if its made of plastic.

FrankFly

I'm assuming Fahrenheit? 100 F is fine. You can go to 150-160 with no problems, some of my planes will hit 170 regularly. Just keep an eye on you firewall if its made of plastic.
Heck, it's 100F as I walk out to the flying field, here deep in the heart of Texas. I assumed he meant 100C. As long as a motor doesn't raise a blister, I consider it ok.

One thing I do that helps is cover the firewall (outside the strapping tape) with aluminum tape to serve as a heat sink. It actually enhances the look as well.

Sero

Elite member
Heck, it's 100F as I walk out to the flying field, here deep in the heart of Texas. I assumed he meant 100C. As long as a motor doesn't raise a blister, I consider it ok.

If its 100C then ya its too hot.

One thing I do that helps is cover the firewall (outside the strapping tape) with aluminum tape to serve as a heat sink. It actually enhances the look as well.

That there my friend is a brilliant idea, i will be stealing that!