Building the Storch!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks guys, my passion is building and flying balsa planes, but I still fly the foam board planes, like the Storch, to build my skills. I can push my skills to the limits with foam board and crash without feeling to bad about damage.

kilroy07

Legendary member
When that F-14 comes out i will be forced to try an EDF. I wonder if i should build the Viggen or the X-29 to get me ready for it? I guess what FT is missing is their own EDF motor to make it easier.
Another great design to start EDFs with might be Ben’s @Mid7night Xf Viper
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/xf-viper-foamboard-f-16-edf.54501/
It’s a bit more complex build, but it look a lot more “scale” and I think flies better than the flat airfoil of the viggen. It’ll fly off of the same 70mm edf.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Yay! Back to Storch building. Here's where it's at, now.

20191106_232902.jpg

Actually, before I quit for the night I glued the bottom on. Next step is servo installation! :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yay! Back to Storch building. Here's where it's at, now.

View attachment 147380

Actually, before I quit for the night I glued the bottom on. Next step is servo installation! :)
Hey look at this you are building stuff, good on ya! Did you do the VTOL mods on it like your Spit :LOL: JK. I saw your Easy AF Edge vid, was there some trim issues, you did recover a couple of times with grace. Solid build though

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Hey look at this you are building stuff, good on ya! Did you do the VTOL mods on it like your Spit :LOL: JK. I saw your Easy AF Edge vid, was there some trim issues, you did recover a couple of times with grace. Solid build though
The EAF Edge is a handful. Second time out it was heavily repaired with glue and popsicle sticks. I couldn't really fly it. It's designed to be a learning/crashing platform, and that's precisely what I'm doing with it. :p The Storch is hopefully going to help me to learn to line up and land better than I currently can. I suspect the landing gear is going to take me a while, all things considered, but it should be in the air pretty soon. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The EAF Edge is a handful. Second time out it was heavily repaired with glue and popsicle sticks. I couldn't really fly it. It's designed to be a learning/crashing platform, and that's precisely what I'm doing with it. :p The Storch is hopefully going to help me to learn to line up and land better than I currently can. I suspect the landing gear is going to take me a while, all things considered, but it should be in the air pretty soon. :)
You will want to reinforce the hell out of the landing gear, larger plane with all the stiffening support transfers any hard landing hits straight into the fuse. The landing gear on my Storch was a project on it's own beside the build of the rest of the plane to take the hits I gave it, being that I was starting out in the hobby. Took some plywood and zip ties to keep it all together.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yes, the landing gear on my Storch is coming apart. In-between flights I have to stick the wires back into the fuse and sometimes they pop out on hard landings and I have glopped hot glue all up in there. But, I do beat the crap out of mine, powered flat spins, hovering, knife edge loops, ect, so it see a lot of g forces. Amazing it flys at all...