Can anyone help me out?

Allanda

I am quite new to the RC hobby, and so far have only bought RTF planes. I recently bought a ZOHD Drift FPV version, not realising that it doesn't come with a receiver. I have a Spectrum DxeA transmitter which came with my Apprentice s15 e, and am wondering if I can use this with the ZOHD Drift, and if so, what receiver I would need to buy. I've spent ages searching the internet, but can't find an answer! Any help would be most gratefully received!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Depends on your channel requirement, but the cheapest Spektrum receiver's I found where the AR410 (4ch version) and the AR620 (6ch version). Both are Ariel-less receivers (the ariel is built into the case), so you don't have wires trailing everywhere and positioning in your model isn't that critical either, any angle or orientation. They have a great range too, I have used them in my gliders in the past with no problems as well as sports planes.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
1634491163325.png
AR410
1634491183169.png
AR620

Allanda

Thanks TheFlyingBrit. Do you know if these work with the Kopilot Lite flight controller that comes with the FPV version of the Zohd Drift? And will it plug into the PWM or sbus socket? Thanks.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Thanks TheFlyingBrit. Do you know if these work with the Kopilot Lite flight controller that comes with the FPV version of the Zohd Drift? And will it plug into the PWM or sbus socket? Thanks.
I have them, and I think they would work with the pwm. if you want something cheaper though, lemonrx has some good offbrand ones.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
To be honest I don't use Flight Controllers and no longer fly with a Spektrum transmitter either. I use open TX these days and would use an FRsky or Futaba receiver using Sbus if I was going down a flight controller route.
I still use those Spektrum AR receivers with my Open Tx transmitter, but only with my basic foamboard planes. I moved to FRsky receivers for my more expensive models.
I may be incorrect here and would bow to someone else on the forum with more knowledge, but I am fairly certain they are pulse width modulation (PWM) outputs on these receivers. I think they only use PPM on the more expensive AR7xxx series receivers.
However, to use the Kopilot with PWM you you need to use a separate lead with a PWM connection on one end for the FC. The other end would have a double ended lead and would need an aux port (channel 5) for the power lead so you need the 6ch receiver. The other lead connects across the signal connections 1- 4 on the receiver.
If I where you I would look into buying a cheap Orange DSMx receiver with an Sbus connection its easier.

Allanda

check this - covers using a spectrum RX with the flight controller:

Thanks JasonK, I've tried to find this receiver on the internet but it seems to be discontinued...I can't find another with the SBus socket like this one's got. Any ideas?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Thanks JasonK, I've tried to find this receiver on the internet but it seems to be discontinued...I can't find another with the SBus socket like this one's got. Any ideas?

ahh ok, spektrum has their own serial protocol now that they use instead of sbus. Then I am not sure, you probably need to contact the manufacturer to get instructions on how to use it with spektrum equipment.

Bricks

Master member
The newer Orange Gen 2 DSMX receivers have SBUS just be sure to check as not all the Orange recovers do have the SBUS out.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Although I here that Lemon receivers are more reliable than the orange one's so check those too.

1634579774726.png
Here is one example:
The OrangeRx series of receivers have always been at the forefront of receiver technology, the R620X version 3 is no exception.They have serial outputs which are suitable for many flight controllers, stabilizers and flybarless systems. They are also compatible with all DSMX/s.Link 2.4GHz air transmitters and offer true DSMX and s.Link compatibilty, integrated telemetry and utilizes a dual antenna which provides true signal reception diversity, the V3 takes things to the next level. Add to all this a programmable fail safe (can be done whilst binding or using the OrangeRx program card, see related items), ultra fast brown out recovery and wide input voltage you have a receiver that is unbeatable in value and versatility. The V3 also has improved antenna switching algorithms and a redesigned front end that extends the range to 2km or more and a telemetry range of over 400 metres.
The functionality of the OrangeRx V3 series becomes even more advanced as it can be programmed using the OrangeRx Programming Card, this will allow you to configure additional features to your receiver. The programming card can be used wirelessly to configure:
• Serial output: CPPM or SBUS, Inverted SBUS, iBUS, xBUS RJ01, Spek2048 (depending which protocol ie: CPPM or SBUS)
• Failsafe Settings: No packets, On bind, All middle, Custom.
• Telemetry: On/Off.
• Autobind: 3 Timers for Autobind (30, 60, 90 secs), Autobind Off.
• Firmware: Upgradeable.

boogieloo

I am quite new to the RC hobby, and so far have only bought RTF planes. I recently bought a ZOHD Drift FPV version, not realising that it doesn't come with a receiver. I have a Spectrum DxeA transmitter which came with my Apprentice s15 e, and am wondering if I can use this with the ZOHD Drift, and if so, what receiver I would need to buy. I've spent ages searching the internet, but can't find an answer! Any help would be most gratefully received!
You can look on Spektrum Radio control websites. That comes with the correct 4 channel or 6 channel RC. And buy one receiver separate from there. Receivers work with all RC. Buy the same brand Spektrum.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
When it comes to interfacing with flight controllers, I would suggest that your best option is Sbus (which is a serial bus interface) its used by: Futaba, FRsky, Radiomaster, Jumper, Orange and other Open Tx source radio gear like Radioking etc. Flysky use there own system called Ibus, its the same principle as Sbus, a single serial lead for data transfer.
If you plan to use a Spektrum system, I suspect your restricted to PWM connections rather than a single serial interface. Unless you opt for a second party DSMx protocol receiver with an Sbus output, like the Orange one I mentioned in an earlier thread.
You will note I stated that "Sbus is "my suggested" best option. This is because it provides reduced latency over PWM connections and is fairly straight forward to set-up using one lead connection between receiver and flight controller.
However, it would mean changing your transmitter to a system/protocol that supports Sbus as per the options I suggested above.

I may be incorrect regarding the information about Spektrum receivers and apologies if my information is incorrect or misleading. I am sure there is someone on the forum with far more expertise on Spektrum systems and knowledge of their capability than I have. Hopefully they can provide you with better advice regards options with a Spektrum set-up.

If your planning to fly mostly fixed wing planes or helicopters to begin with, it may not be worth investing at this time in a new system, which supports Sbus. Flight controllers and flight stabilisation are not essential, just a nice to have when learning or flying big expensive planes and jets. If you can get away with just using PWM connections, it will be a cheaper option.
However, if you are looking to experiment with drones and multi rotor aircraft in the long term, you will be interfacing with flight controllers in nearly every instances, so Sbus would be the logical way to go.
Hope this helps.

boogieloo

I didn't realize it. Spektrum hand boxes come separate with the receiver. Spektrum wants you. So that they can have rapport with you and show you the ropes. Just a comment.