Help! charging help

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
you don't need to do anything other than make sure the cell count is correct, then set your amperage for charging. i usually charge all my stuff at 1.5amp regardless of the size of battery. charging your battery at high high of amperage will kill its life pretty quick. low and slow is the way to go when charging.

good luck,

me :cool:

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
you don't need to do anything other than make sure the cell count is correct, then set your amperage for charging. i usually charge all my stuff at 1.5amp regardless of the size of battery. charging your battery at high high of amperage will kill its life pretty quick. low and slow is the way to go when charging.

good luck,

me :cool:
I just do 1 amp on anything less than 1000mah.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That is a standard B6 clone charger. Select balance charge connect main wire and balance wires to the charger. Press start and that should make the selection for scroll thru the amps and set to .9 and the voltage to the 3s preset. Hold start again and it should confirm settings and battery match and begin charging.

Dont confuse C rating with amps as one is measured in c and the other C which is the charge / discharge rating where c is actually the current in amps.

If you put 1 amp into a 1s battery for a whoop with 150mah it WILL explode as 1C for that battery would be .1 amps and 1 amp would be ~7C (extreme but simple example)

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
need help setting this charger to 850mah,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LBHFJQ2/?tag=lstir-20
im able to get it to 800mah, or 900mah.
im trying to charge this battery
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MG6YGS/?tag=lstir-20
I have the same problem with my charger and just use an 800mah charge rate. I usually try to charge at 1c but I never go above. You should be okay to go a bit above 1c like some have said, but this is just what I have been doing for the past few years and just got used to it.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I usually try to charge at 1c but I never go above. You should be okay to go a bit above 1c like some have said
Yes, that’s exactly right, charge somewhere near 1c. With a 850 mah battery charging at .8A or .9A is not going to matter. Changing at 2-3c, 1.7A or higher is going to matter.

mackaiver

Elite member
I have the same problem with my charger and just use an 800mah charge rate. I usually try to charge at 1c but I never go above. You should be okay to go a bit above 1c like some have said, but this is just what I have been doing for the past few years and just got used to it.
Yes, that’s exactly right, charge somewhere near 1c. With a 850 mah battery charging at .8A or .9A is not going to matter. Changing at 2-3c, 1.7A or higher is going to matter.
so 1.5A, 800mah ,3s will work?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
so 1.5A, 800mah ,3s will work?
So I think you might not understand C. C is how fast a battery is charging or discharging. It is measured using the capacity of your battery in mah. So 1C is the same as your battery's capacity in amps, so if you had a 2200 battery 1C would be 2.2 amps. For charging, if you want to charge at 2C, multiply your capacity by 2 and you will get the charge rate that you want. I'm gonna use a 2200 again for this. To charge it at 2C, multiply 2200 by 2 and you get 4400mah, which is 4.4 amps. To calculate your battery's max discharge rate, multiply the C rating by battery capacity and you will get your max discharge rate in mah, divide that by 1000 to get the discharge rate in amps. So if a 2200 has a 20C discharge rate and you want to know how many amps you can safely pull from it, multiply 2200 by 20 to get 44000mah, and divide by 1000 to get 44 amps. Sorry if my explanation is a bit complicated, it's hard to fit in one post.
So basically you can charge your battery at 1.5A, but you will be charging at around 1.7C, so just know that.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
P
So I think you might not understand C. C is how fast a battery is charging or discharging. It is measured using the capacity of your battery in mah. So 1C is the same as your battery's capacity in amps, so if you had a 2200 battery 1C would be 2.2 amps. For charging, if you want to charge at 2C, multiply your capacity by 2 and you will get the charge rate that you want. I'm gonna use a 2200 again for this. To charge it at 2C, multiply 2200 by 2 and you get 4400mah, which is 4.4 amps. To calculate your battery's max discharge rate, multiply the C rating by battery capacity and you will get your max discharge rate in mah, divide that by 1000 to get the discharge rate in amps. So if a 2200 has a 20C discharge rate and you want to know how many amps you can safely pull from it, multiply 2200 by 20 to get 44000mah, and divide by 1000 to get 44 amps. Sorry if my explanation is a bit complicated, it's hard to fit in one post.
So basically you can charge your battery at 1.5A, but you will be charging at around 1.7C, so just know that.

DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH THE C RATING FOR THE DISCHARGE RATE!!!!! Doing so can cause explosions and fires.

You may see batteries that say 30c to 50c on it; that is talking about the discharge or drain rate. It does NOT (and I can’t emphasize it enough) mean it is the charge rate.

Some batteries can be charged at a 2 or 3C charge rate. I have some 280mah, 2S batteries for my Umx Timber that specifically stated they can be charged at a 2C rating. But I generally don’t charge more than a 1C rating on my batteries because it can shorten the battery life, and can potentially puff the batteries, making them dangerous.

If you’re not sure what the battery charge rating is, err on the side of caution and charge at 1C. In the example of your battery, where it is an 850 mah battery, I personally would charge it at 800mah, erring in the side of caution.

I’ve known guys in 2 different clubs that have had batteries go up; one destroyed most of their detached garage; the other had the back half of his house destroyed. There are a lot of guys out there that will push it, charging at 2-3C, but having seen the results of batteries being overcharged or charged too quickly, I can’t recommend it.

Straight from FT:

mackaiver

Elite member
i am putting the battery, a tattu 850mah 3 cell lipo in storage for about a week does this look good,
143_0852.JPG

and dose this look go for when i charge it back up and all the times after it.
143_0853.JPG

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
Perfect that will work. As many have said going this route is the safest way, even thought me personally hardly ever charge anything at less then 2C.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Perfect that will work. As many have said going this route is the safest way, even thought me personally hardly ever charge anything at less then 2C.

Yep. You can always charge at less than the recommended amperage; it’s not going to hurt anything. It just takes longer to charge. That’s why more people try to charge at a higher amperage.

I’m one of these nervous nellies as I’ve seen many lipo packs that are truly questionable (puffed), being charged at 2-3C rates. I personally think it’s just asking for trouble, especially in those instances.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
i am putting the battery, a tattu 850mah 3 cell lipo in storage for about a week does this look good,
View attachment 187095
and dose this look go for when i charge it back up and all the times after it.
View attachment 187093

Yes on the storage NO on the charge. Tab down one more menu and it should say balance charge. You always use that on your lipos. That way you have to plug both the main power and the balance lead in so it can read the cells and keep them the same. The straight up charge only looks at over all voltage before it stops. That could bring some cells over 4.2 while others stay below and this effect stacks over time with repeated "fast charges" like that. Built in safety features may even allow the charge to go on until it hits 4.3 or 4.35 v but the cells will still be unequal and that is really bad.

Bricks

Master member
Yes on the storage NO on the charge. Tab down one more menu and it should say balance charge. You always use that on your lipos. That way you have to plug both the main power and the balance lead in so it can read the cells and keep them the same. The straight up charge only looks at over all voltage before it stops. That could bring some cells over 4.2 while others stay below and this effect stacks over time with repeated "fast charges" like that. Built in safety features may even allow the charge to go on until it hits 4.3 or 4.35 v but the cells will still be unequal and that is really bad.

Good catch I just take it for granted as I always balance charge.