New Hobbiest - how does motor size affect plane performance

Grezer34

Hello Everyone,

So I have been in the process of building several different planes, I have built two versa wings ( have not flown them yet ) and a tiny trainer, which I have tried to fly and was unsuccessful I think due to configuration, basically I think I had the props on the wrong direction. I just purchased a new motor that is bigger then the one that came in the kit. The kit comes with Radial 1806 2280kV, and the one I just purchased is a BGNing 2212 2200kv, what would be the pro's and cons of using the 2200KV instead of the smaller 2280KV ?

HVB79

Both will work with a versa wing or a tiny trainer. The BGNing 2212 has a smaller diameter motor shaft and will need a prop adapter that is include in the listing you linked.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...the pro's and cons of using the 2200KV instead of the smaller 2280KV ?
The difference between 2200 & 2280 is insignificant. You need a 200-300 difference in Kv before it becomes significant.

Kv is how many RPM’s per volt a motor will spin. The voltage x Kv, in theory, equals RPM of the motor. Example: a 1,000 Kv motor on 10 volts will spin at 10,000 RPM’s.

It takes more power to spin a prop faster, it doesn’t matter if the increase of RPM comes from higher Kv or higher voltage. A smaller prop take less power than a larger prop at the same RPM’s. High Kv motors spin a smaller prop very fast & low Kv motors spin a larger prop slowly. The higher Kv motor will have more top end speed and the lower Kv motor will have more thrust. Think of a transmission, low gear has more lugging power, high gear has more top speed.

danskis

Master member
FYI - while the Versa Wing is one of my all time favorite planes, it is several orders of magnitude more difficult to set up and fly than the TT. The Versa is easiest to set up and fly as a puller and not a pusher.