Confused by Flite Test’s direction

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
YES!

Like when my wife said she was quitting FB, and I told her I would divorce her. She quit, I changed my marriage status.

It was funny until ex girlfriends started to send me messages.
hmmm good for her for getting off one of the toxic clouds of social media and outside of expressing confusion, I don't have anything appropriate for this forum to say about the rest of that...

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Flite Test's main channel content is focused on getting people into the hobby (or so it seems to me). So if your at 26 planes in your hanger, I don't think your the main focus of the main channel.

Would I like to see more content aimed at people farther on in the hobby? yes.
Would Flite Test's goal of bringing people into the hobby be better met by Flite Test focusing on that content? I don't think so.

Do I have the time to make said content? no

Do you have the time and desire to make said content?
How much are you willing to pay to have someone else create it?
[these are the questions for you to answer... but if the answers are no and zero, then don't get upset that it isn't there]
And see thats how this stuff gets off the rails, I am in no way upset with anything that Flite Test is doing, simply made the comment as to what I would like to see and some how I get interpreted as being upset. ????????? 26 plus planes gives me good build knowledge, I still lack in flight knowledge, electronics knowledge, etc. . just throwing ideas out there, And with that I am officially tapping out of this thread, wow

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Can I interject here and make a suggestion.
1. If you are happy with the forum as it is, stop posting on this topic and forget about it. Life is too short, come on guy's and girls lighten up :) I like the forum as it is and the people on here too.
2. However, if you really feel strongly about the direction Flite Test is going. Then start a new posting with suggestions of what you think they should be doing, give the Flite Test guy's some feedback. Who knows they might take things on board ?
3. If you just want a rant/debate or an argument you want take it to the coffee shop and just pick a subject there are plenty out there to rant over.

This guy @mcmoyer who started the post isn't getting a good impression of the Forum by reading this posting. It sounds like we are all at odds with one another which in reality its the opposite.

jack10525

Flite test is a great place to get into the hobby but it is only a stepping stone. Flite test has changed so much since I found them in 2016. The videos are now just plugs for sponsors and that Stefan guy is soooooo annoying. Time to move on to real RC kits and PNF planes.

Flite test is a great place to get into the hobby but it is only a stepping stone. Flite test has changed so much since I found them in 2016. The videos are now just plugs for sponsors and that Stefan guy is soooooo annoying. Time to move on to real RC kits and PNF planes.
Why be so negative? You can watch or not, but they do just fine. And offer free stuff all the time. Don't be cheap and let them support their families. Geez

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It's taken me a long time, but I've learned to just let people be negative if they need to.

All of us get stressed, and we all deal with it in different ways.

Jack is right. The current Flite Test is nothing like the original Flite Test. I was drawn to the episodic style of the original show. The current vlog format isn't my cup of tea. I don't complain, I just don't watch it as often. But clearly it does hold appeal with a large audience.

Flite Test is a business, but they're more. They are a gateway to the hobby. If the way they get more people into the hobby is with the current version of the channel, then who am I to complain?

They're also a connection point. I've met more great people thanks to Flite Test, than through any other group or organization. I'm still meeting awesome folks through Flite Test. So it's not like they've started attracting a different quality of person.

I love Stefan. But that's probably because I've met him in person. He's an amazing guy, and he's just as full of energy in person as on video. The difference is, in person he's able to somehow share that energy with you. Online, it doesn't translate as well. Which is probably why some people don't react as positively to Stefan as others do.

Remember, Flite Test is all about compassion towards other people. We can't control what they do, but we can control how we respond to them.

If someone is being negative to get other people to be negative, you're only hurting yourself if you react how they want you to.

If someone is being negative because they don't know how to ask for support when they're hurting, you're only adding to their pain when you had a chance to help them heal.

It's taken me a long time, but I've learned to just let people be negative if they need to.

All of us get stressed, and we all deal with it in different ways.

Jack is right. The current Flite Test is nothing like the original Flite Test. I was drawn to the episodic style of the original show. The current vlog format isn't my cup of tea. I don't complain, I just don't watch it as often. But clearly it does hold appeal with a large audience.

Flite Test is a business, but they're more. They are a gateway to the hobby. If the way they get more people into the hobby is with the current version of the channel, then who am I to complain?

They're also a connection point. I've met more great people thanks to Flite Test, than through any other group or organization. I'm still meeting awesome folks through Flite Test. So it's not like they've started attracting a different quality of person.

I love Stefan. But that's probably because I've met him in person. He's an amazing guy, and he's just as full of energy in person as on video. The difference is, in person he's able to somehow share that energy with you. Online, it doesn't translate as well. Which is probably why some people don't react as positively to Stefan as others do.

Remember, Flite Test is all about compassion towards other people. We can't control what they do, but we can control how we respond to them.

If someone is being negative to get other people to be negative, you're only hurting yourself if you react how they want you to.

If someone is being negative because they don't know how to ask for support when they're hurting, you're only adding to their pain when you had a chance to help them heal.

You are sooo nice, I don't mean to be nasty, but I am tiring of the "get off my lawn", kinda cheap, and frustrated RC airplane hobbyists. I am new to the hobby as of three years ago, Flite Test's current iteration is responding to the marketplace for video content. Oh well, you don't have to like the content.

But nobody could argue that these guys need to support their families, because nobody in this hobby is more down to earth and leading this hobby into the future.

My experience the last two Flite Fests, revs me up for the hobby. And I don't even prefer their foam board airplanes, because I kind of hate building.

However, It's their inviting and open spirit that's missing to the same extent in almost every other RC airplane location which is so exceptional. And it's Josh and it's Stefan and all the other guys that make that possible, Yes I got to meet them at Flite Fest and they have no clue who I am, I am nobody. But yet they treated me and my son in an amazing fashion and got us into the hobby.

So when you see these people at Flite Test that are good, amazing, and principled with the same purpose as us, please support them with views and purchases and kindness.

Frankly, I think they are the only organized group that's going to bring enough young people into this hobby to keep it going. Have you been to our local clubs?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
A 15 minute video of interesting and crazy projects + 3 minutes of advertising is a plug for sponsors? Sounds like this is coming from the "something for nothing" mentality that plagues the world today. No wonder some folks think they can run up massive college debt and expect the rest of us to pay for it.

Parramon

Hi,
First, sorry for my english.
In a previous post I wrote that I prefer the original version of Flite Test. But I'm thinking that is possible two versions. The old versions, for the rescue the original spirit, and the new style adapted to new times and economic needs.
Please, I would ask to Flite Test that, if its possible, they may create new contents in the future with the original style, also.
Thanks a lot.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@mcmoyer the Hangar RC puts together some good kits, and great skins for them. But for you, the plans are all available for free
I have build an flown a number of their kits. my favorites are the HRC Seven and the HRC Texan. but that may be because I haven't flow the wasp yet. They both flew great on a C-pack.
1664544735863.png
The owner is currently navigating, the FAA RSID requirement for manufacturers and has all the kits "out of stock", but the free plans are all still ready for download.

1664544665043.png
Also if you are looking for an RC podcast, I host the aviation RC Noob Podcast with my good buddy Joe. I think this community is the perfect audience. Give it a listen

Those are my two Nickels. (Because 2cents doesn't have traction any more. and 10g of nose weight might help balance your plane).

Last edited:

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
@mcmoyer the Hangar RC puts together some good kits, and great skins for them. But for you, the plans are all available for free
I have build an flown a number of their kits. my favorites are the HRC Seven and the HRC Texan. but that may be because I haven't flow the wasp yet. They both flew great on a C-pack.
View attachment 230805
The owner is currently navigating, the FAA RSID requirement for manufacturers and has all the kits "out of stock", but the free plans are all still ready for download.

View attachment 230804
Also if you are looking for an RC podcast, I host the aviation RC Noob Podcast with my good buddy Joe. I think this community is the perfect audience. Give it a listen

Those are my two Nickels. (Because 2cents doesn't have traction any more. and 10g of nose weight might help balance your plane).

While I genuinely appreciate the plans I'm confused about what they think they need to work out?
They are not selling anything RTF that I saw and that is the only thing affected right now.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
While I genuinely appreciate the plans I'm confused about what they think they need to work out?
They are not selling anything RTF that I saw and that is the only thing affected right now.

I'm curious too.

The whole thing is a cluster. Since the FAA promised a route for people who can't or won't add RID to their planes, yet they can't even tell us what they'll recognize as a CBO, nevermind how they'll approve as FRIA locations, since you can't have one without the other.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I'm curious too.

The whole thing is a cluster. Since the FAA promised a route for people who can't or won't add RID to their planes, yet they can't even tell us what they'll recognize as a CBO, nevermind how they'll approve as FRIA locations, since you can't have one without the other.

Precisely, I've been dealing with the FAA in different capacities since 1983 and I have never seen a cluster like this. I can't blame individuals who are confused as it is very confusing.
They are also stepping into deep water by making advisory circulars have the weigh of law. This is previously unheard of. I mean it is right in the name, "advisory circular", they are only supposed to clarify things that are already in the FAR.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
They are also stepping into deep water by making advisory circulars have the weigh of law. This is previously unheard of. I mean it is right in the name, "advisory circular", they are only supposed to clarify things that are already in the FAR.
HRC just doesn't have deep enough pockets to take the SLIM risk his co. will be the target of sacrifice.
@Flying Monkey fab - Exactly. You know where hobbyists are interested in tracking "laws"/rules down through is years of Advisory Curculars to find *the* modification to the rule that explains how it is ATM. They will read the Rule, as written, and be done. (an possibly done with the hobby) :cry:

I think seeing the clear written rule about incomplete kits makers are not beholden to the rule requiring baked in RFID. While the FPV Freedom coalition has it written in english, I want to help get the rule to the HangarRC so he can continue to move forward. I hear he has some exciting new ideas in the wings.

It feels as if the legistature was just unaware of what they were asking for when they made demands of the public's freedoms in the name of the $$/Homeland bullying Corp Security needs. and the timeline was optimistic. And the FAA was not agile or willing to put enough of it's $26.1B (2022) resources toward it.

@FlyingMonkey - I am with you. I really want to know how to qualify our local schools, Flying clubs and rec fields as CBOs. It will take us time to help the controlling agents be aware of the problem, and move to correct it withing this year long, no-going-back,time bomb, the new rule has set up. (could be wrong).

I also hope that FT goes on a full-tilt awareness and how-to campaign to help us advocate for the hobby.

Last edited: