Confused by Flite Test’s direction

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Awesome, that means I can make a reply, and you won't argue it.

Yup, I can agree with you that you did. And you followed it with an impressively ungrateful sounding comment. So unfortunately it was like someone saying "no offense" and following it with something offensive, and then getting upset if the person was offended, because how dare they, you used the "no offense" clause.

Except, that's not what you expressed. You said...

You're saying that the only thing FT cares about is the money side of things, which is clearly not the case. I can't think of a much more disrespectful way to tell Josh and the gang that you "are grateful" than with a comment like the one you made.

This falls into the "well duh" category. Just like with any media, when the person who writes and directs leaves, the show is going to change. There's been plenty of shows that I enjoyed several seasons of, then either there was a staff change, or creative brownout caused the show to take a direction that lost my interest because it wasn't the show I got interested in. It's just something that happens.

Yeah, Flite Test the show has seen some major changes in format. It's a matter of creative differences. Chad Kapper is a director. And as such he created a show that was, if not scripted, very plotted. Not only that, the original show was all about marketing and sponsorship. So when people try claiming that FT "went commercial" or "sold out" I have to laugh. They started out commercial! Chad created a marketing tool, filled with product placement and went almost immediately to being a full time Hobby King advertiser. I've been part of this long enough to watch the pendulum of complaints about "selling out" make several cycles.

I'm not sure who is in charge of creative direction now, but whoever it is, they have taken the direction of big projects, group participation, and showing that the participants are having lots of fun.

Let's pretend I agree with this, I don't, I very much don't. But if I did, I'd follow it with, so what? How dare FT be so selfish as to only put together a program that can merely benefits children across the entire country? That is helping to ensure that the hobby will have another generation, and one bigger than the ones before it? Darn them!

And you and I both know that often what legislation the US puts into place, other countries are likely to follow. So, the better the FTCA does in fighting regulations here in the USA, the better you stand in your own country. So, you get all that benefit, without the price of FTCA membership. You're welcome.

Recognition of the benefits we receive from Flite Test at much cost to them, and little to no cost to us seems like a good place to conclude this.
That's one hell of a rant there fella, hope you feel better now getting that off your chest :LOL:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Might wanna reread that article mate...

The start was in 2011 in the United Nations. The regulation started out based on guidelines that the AMA promotes since their inception and the RC flight hobby has self imposed and enforced since the what like the 1940's? So yeah France was ONE of the first to adopt policy regarding "Drones" (I so hate that word attached to what we do) but far from the first or even relevant in many of the adopted guidelines mutated into laws. Most of the countries didn't get on the regulation bus until after the Grubment gave the F.A.A. authorization to restructure everything. THAT is when most countries jumped on the bus adopting many of the rules here. heck some of you haven't even had an altitude limit imposed until recent years ALL based off AMA 400 ft rule.

As far as STEM some of you must be living under a rock. It was started in the US but adopted by MANY countries all over the world. Heck we are not even the highest ranked (7th highest) for use of the programs with the UK actually rated significantly higher (6th world wide) for percentage of STEM based graduates.

View attachment 210049
Thank you sir for taking the time to explain and providing the info. I stand corrected, my apologies I didn't have the facts as you quite rightly pointed out. Why can't more people be like you and provide facts to explain the point they are putting across, rather than just going on a tyrannical rant, I will stick to just just read the posts in future.
Dude, as staff/administration, part of your job is to specifically not fuel controversy or maintain arguments, at least not in public. You're here to help make this forum a better place, not dirty it. Please do your job.
Looks like Lord Acton was right in his famous quote "Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
That's one hell of a rant there fella, hope you feel better now getting that off your chest :LOL:
And he's a moderator! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. yeah think I'm going to start limiting my time and input here as this kind of stuff is just non-stop lately, and when you have moderators going off like that... why would anyone want to be subjected to and be part of that? Not this guy.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
And obviously his response to you says it all my friend. It's bad enough to have to participate in and watch threads like this go off the rail , like they normally do, especially lately. I don't particularly have an opinion as far as this thread goes because no matter what you say, good or bad, its just going to spiral downward, and @FlyingMonkey is either going to tell you how ungrateful you are to Flite Test , etc.(because thats all I'm hearing from him, sad) What happened to the days when people could listen to each other and have meaningful discussions without the need to degrade someone because their view is somewhat different from your own. Absolutely appalled by the way this discussion has gone and absolutely agree with @Monte.C and his comment.

And here's the excellent thing with this group. While you disagree with me, and I disagreed with someone else, we're all having a discussion about it, and no one is being shut down or silenced.

Which is why it's interested to see you state that you're appalled. Who has degraded anyone, other than when someone posted that Flite Test was all commercial and only cared about the money? If I make such a statement, please, call me on it. Be specific. Do it in public, or send me a PM. If it's so out of line you feel the need to report it, do so. No one here is exempt from the expectation to keep the conversations civil.

I'd have to check my "employment contract", but I don't think it states that I'm prohibited from having an opinion, nor am I forbidden from expressing it here.

Back to the statements we keep seeing degrading Flite Test... It's easy to refer to "Flite Test" as if it's some faceless entity, all the while forgetting that it's still a fairly small group of people that is being referred to when making such blanket statements.

When someone says something like "Flite Test only cares about money" try replacing the words "Flite Test" with Josh, or Stefan, or Lee, or any of the guys that put so much work into making FT what it is. Because when a comment like that is made, that's what they're saying. I can guarantee that's what those guys are hearing.

Other than that I have been impressed that there's been good, passionate back and forth conversations.

Ducky84

As a newcommer to the hobby this year, I feel like I joined the RC Hobby at a really bad time...

There's new regulations which feel confusing and cumbersome. There's snotty Balsa enthusiasts at my local AMA fields who turn their nose at me for having a foamboard with a Flight Controller, and I have no interest in taking part of those communities. Then there's FlightTest which genuinely made getting into this hobby WAY easier. I've purchased speed build kits, and I've also created my own templates based on the plans that were available at the time.

I'm very grateful for this community but I am a little sad to see some of those plans disappear. I hesitate to buy anything that I didn't save plans for simply because when I crash (And I will!) I don't want to have to buy another kit, wait for it to arrive, then do it all over again. It's nice having a template to replace a particular part.

Regardless I don't feel any ill-will towards FT. At the end of the day, if not for them, I likely wouldn't have taken the dive into RC Planes.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

Thanks, feel lighter already.

I'd like to state, that no matter the differences of opinions, were you to paddle your way across the pond, and found yourself here, I'd gladly fly with you. I'd certainly still disagree, but I'd fly with you.

Parramon

Hi everybody:
First, I don't know english completely I will try to write better as possible.
Since I was a boy I wanted build and flying a RCplane. I only could build a balsa glider that got lost the first day of flight.
In the past, the RC equipment were very expensive and I forgot the hobby, but a few years ago I discovered the FT guys in the web and I got interested again with the hobby, thirtyfive years later!
With FT system, everybody can enjoy this hobby. But, create this sytem is not easy and need a lot of time and effor, even though it looks easy.
I built my first RCplane , the Sporster, and since that moment I explain the FT system to everybody.
We must not forget the relevance of an easy and cheep system to build planes for kids, because they are the future of the hobby.
Now I do classes for kids in my flight club and they learn physics and enjoy building and flying foam planes.
I'm sure that I forgot a lot of things and others have been explained yet.
I dont like changes on my environement things, but the only thing I can say: Thanks, thanks a lot to Flite Test.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
And here's the excellent thing with this group. While you disagree with me, and I disagreed with someone else, we're all having a discussion about it, and no one is being shut down or silenced.

Which is why it's interested to see you state that you're appalled. Who has degraded anyone, other than when someone posted that Flite Test was all commercial and only cared about the money? If I make such a statement, please, call me on it. Be specific. Do it in public, or send me a PM. If it's so out of line you feel the need to report it, do so. No one here is exempt from the expectation to keep the conversations civil.

I'd have to check my "employment contract", but I don't think it states that I'm prohibited from having an opinion, nor am I forbidden from expressing it here.

Back to the statements we keep seeing degrading Flite Test... It's easy to refer to "Flite Test" as if it's some faceless entity, all the while forgetting that it's still a fairly small group of people that is being referred to when making such blanket statements.

When someone says something like "Flite Test only cares about money" try replacing the words "Flite Test" with Josh, or Stefan, or Lee, or any of the guys that put so much work into making FT what it is. Because when a comment like that is made, that's what they're saying. I can guarantee that's what those guys are hearing.

Other than that I have been impressed that there's been good, passionate back and forth conversations.
Like I said I neither agree or disagree with anything you have said. You could have made your point in a much more tactful manner, and you could learn to listen a little better and think your reply through(obviously by the comments I am not alone in this.) Never assume that a comment by someone means something else, and never speak for other people, let Josh, Stefan, Lee or whoever speak for themselves. It's funny you mentioned blanket statements , because I personally feel that your comments made a lot of us feel like ingrates, seriously. I don't need to be preached to about how much this costs and that costs, thats part of business my friend, its called cost of goods sold. And I am sure that the return far outweighs the costs when it comes to the forum, I started this hobby about a year and a half ago , have about $3000 spent so far, of which my Flite test branded stuff adds up to almost $1100, purchases based solely on recommendations or things I have seen on the forum. Trust me , If you had offended me personally, there would be a lot more going on than just replying to your post, trust me. This is just one of several examples where you have done this kind of thing, you make no apologies, and I personally just had to say something this time. No offense, I call it like I see it and theres no BS here. I personally am sick and tired of this still being a topic here, So I'll sum it up quickly : for those of you who are whining about no more free plans, get over it, nobody committed to provide you free plans for the rest of your life, there are literally thousands others out there on the web. The only thing I really don't like or not crazy about are the youtube videos showing planes getting blown up , shot at, monster planes etc,, week after week when reality is that you shouldn't really be doing that kind of stuff to begin with just from a safety standpoint and secondly, most of us aren't in a postion to build stuff like that so I have a hard time seeing how it helps or is relevant to what the FTCA is trying to do i.e you're trying to promote a safe hobby while at the same time blowing up planes or shooting them down with potato guns.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Like I said I neither agree or disagree with anything you have said. You could have made your point in a much more tactful manner, and you could learn to listen a little better and think your reply through(obviously by the comments I am not alone in this.) Never assume that a comment by someone means something else, and never speak for other people, let Josh, Stefan, Lee or whoever speak for themselves. It's funny you mentioned blanket statements , because I personally feel that your comments made a lot of us feel like ingrates, seriously. I don't need to be preached to about how much this costs and that costs, thats part of business my friend, its called cost of goods sold. And I am sure that the return far outweighs the costs when it comes to the forum, I started this hobby about a year and a half ago , have about $3000 spent so far, of which my Flite test branded stuff adds up to almost $1100, purchases based solely on recommendations or things I have seen on the forum. Trust me , If you had offended me personally, there would be a lot more going on than just replying to your post, trust me. This is just one of several examples where you have done this kind of thing, you make no apologies, and I personally just had to say something this time. No offense, I call it like I see it and theres no BS here. I personally am sick and tired of this still being a topic here, So I'll sum it up quickly : for those of you who are whining about no more free plans, get over it, nobody committed to provide you free plans for the rest of your life, there are literally thousands others out there on the web. The only thing I really don't like or not crazy about are the youtube videos showing planes getting blown up , shot at, monster planes etc,, week after week when reality is that you shouldn't really be doing that kind of stuff to begin with just from a safety standpoint and secondly, most of us aren't in a postion to build stuff like that so I have a hard time seeing how it helps or is relevant to what the FTCA is trying to do i.e you're trying to promote a safe hobby while at the same time blowing up planes or shooting them down with potato guns.
Well said sir I agree (y)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thank you sir for taking the time to explain and providing the info. I stand corrected, my apologies I didn't have the facts as you quite rightly pointed out. Why can't more people be like you and provide facts to explain the point they are putting across, rather than just going on a tyrannical rant, I will stick to just just read the posts in future.

Looks like Lord Acton was right in his famous quote "Absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Its not a matter of who is right and who is wrong but a matter of perpetuating wrong information for the next new guys who show up. Its hard keeping track of so much. I just have no life what so ever and have wayyyy too much time on my hand to fill in an effort to try and stay semi sane so I read and learn as much as I can about stuffs.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Like I said I neither agree or disagree with anything you have said. You could have made your point in a much more tactful manner, and you could learn to listen a little better and think your reply through(obviously by the comments I am not alone in this.)

I will not disagree. I am far from as tactful as Josh or any of those guys. They take the "slings and arrows" with a grace that I could never achieve.

Never assume that a comment by someone means something else, and never speak for other people, let Josh, Stefan, Lee or whoever speak for themselves.

But, that's just how conversations work. Someone expresses an idea, and the person listening makes an assumption as to what it means. That person can then respond to the comment, and if the first person feels that the point wasn't correctly received, can then attempt to clarify the point.

And you're right. I knew my comment was overreaching after I hit enter. I do not KNOW what Josh and the guys hear when statements are made about Flite Test. I can guess, I can assume from replies they make during podcasts, but I can't know.

It's funny you mentioned blanket statements , because I personally feel that your comments made a lot of us feel like ingrates, seriously. I don't need to be preached to about how much this costs and that costs, thats part of business my friend, its called cost of goods sold. And I am sure that the return far outweighs the costs when it comes to the forum, I started this hobby about a year and a half ago , have about $3000 spent so far, of which my Flite test branded stuff adds up to almost $1100, purchases based solely on recommendations or things I have seen on the forum.

This is an interesting direction, and I've seen it taken before. People adding up how much they spent somewhere, as if they didn't receive good or services equal to the money provided.

I would love to say I am sure the FT guys appreciate each and every sale, but I wouldn't dare speak for someone else...

Trust me , If you had offended me personally, there would be a lot more going on than just replying to your post, trust me.

Was this what kids these days call a "flex"? It felt like a "flex", was it a "flex"?

This is just one of several examples where you have done this kind of thing, you make no apologies, and I personally just had to say something this time.

Not Canadian. Default setting isn't to apologize unless there's something to apologize for.

No offense, I call it like I see it and theres no BS here.

None taken! Although it's ironic how people are proud when they "call it like they see it" but then tell others they need to speak more tactfully and apologize for their opinions.

I personally am sick and tired of this still being a topic here, So I'll sum it up quickly : for those of you who are whining about no more free plans, get over it, nobody committed to provide you free plans for the rest of your life, there are literally thousands others out there on the web.

And here we are! We disagree, and then we agree. (oops, back to disagreeing, but it's a light one. Josh did kinda actually promise free plans, and hasn't gone back on that, they're just changing how they handle it.)

The only thing I really don't like or not crazy about are the youtube videos showing planes getting blown up , shot at, monster planes etc,, week after week when reality is that you shouldn't really be doing that kind of stuff to begin with just from a safety standpoint and secondly, most of us aren't in a postion to build stuff like that so I have a hard time seeing how it helps or is relevant to what the FTCA is trying to do i.e you're trying to promote a safe hobby while at the same time blowing up planes or shooting them down with potato guns.

And we agree again!

best.jpeg

Ok, probably not.

And yeah, I also disagree, so I'll lead with that.

The shooting of planes, etc is no different than on shows like Top Gear when they do crazy things with cars. It's being done on a "closed course, do not try this at home" level of broadcasting.

Back to the agreeing part!

I actually made a very similar comment to Lee recently. The big planes may be getting a bit overdone. Awesome as a diversion between the more relatable topics the show could focus on, but may be too much all in a bunch like they've been.

So, yeah, we can't all build giant planes, but they can, so they do. Also... they probably realized the giant planes show up much better from the ground on camera.

And then there's the "can't have it both ways". If they only featured the small planes they sell, people would complain that they're only doing that to sell more of the kits. They really can't win here.

But it looks like the people have spoken, and the FT guys have listened, because the FT Tutor videos are dropping, and they're small planes you can build, from free plans, and they made a whole episode about it.

Awesome, civil conversation between two people who don't agree on everything. Just what this forum is built on.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

Can all the people trying to compare lengths by how morally justified in their outrage about x, y, or z they feel go find a corner and stare at it until that outrage is over?

Please and thank you!

if your on the "I want to see x/y/z" side of things -> please go make it and share it with the rest of us, if it is good, we will thank you, if not, well... then at least you learned something. Complaining here isn't helping anyone.

if your on the defend flite test side of things -> outside of clear miss information (like people not knowning how bad the IP theft has been), nothing you say is going to make people 'come to the light' about how great Flite test is for the community and just give more fuel for people to complain about.

JasonK

I feel attacked, you've just been banned.

I was avoiding calling out any names on either side... I just felt this went from a discussion to an emotional pissing contest on both sides about 2 'pages' back and was hoping some bad humor and reminder that winning on the internet doesn't really get you anything might get everyone to take a break and cool off.

;)

edit: really?
1634673161927.png

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I will not disagree. I am far from as tactful as Josh or any of those guys. They take the "slings and arrows" with a grace that I could never achieve.

But, that's just how conversations work. Someone expresses an idea, and the person listening makes an assumption as to what it means. That person can then respond to the comment, and if the first person feels that the point wasn't correctly received, can then attempt to clarify the point.

And you're right. I knew my comment was overreaching after I hit enter. I do not KNOW what Josh and the guys hear when statements are made about Flite Test. I can guess, I can assume from replies they make during podcasts, but I can't know.

This is an interesting direction, and I've seen it taken before. People adding up how much they spent somewhere, as if they didn't receive good or services equal to the money provided.

I would love to say I am sure the FT guys appreciate each and every sale, but I wouldn't dare speak for someone else...

Was this what kids these days call a "flex"? It felt like a "flex", was it a "flex"?

Not Canadian. Default setting isn't to apologize unless there's something to apologize for.

None taken! Although it's ironic how people are proud when they "call it like they see it" but then tell others they need to speak more tactfully and apologize for their opinions.

And here we are! We disagree, and then we agree. (oops, back to disagreeing, but it's a light one. Josh did kinda actually promise free plans, and hasn't gone back on that, they're just changing how they handle it.)

And we agree again!

View attachment 210150

Ok, probably not.

And yeah, I also disagree, so I'll lead with that.

The shooting of planes, etc is no different than on shows like Top Gear when they do crazy things with cars. It's being done on a "closed course, do not try this at home" level of broadcasting.

Back to the agreeing part!

I actually made a very similar comment to Lee recently. The big planes may be getting a bit overdone. Awesome as a diversion between the more relatable topics the show could focus on, but may be too much all in a bunch like they've been.

So, yeah, we can't all build giant planes, but they can, so they do. Also... they probably realized the giant planes show up much better from the ground on camera.

And then there's the "can't have it both ways". If they only featured the small planes they sell, people would complain that they're only doing that to sell more of the kits. They really can't win here.

But it looks like the people have spoken, and the FT guys have listened, because the FT Tutor videos are dropping, and they're small planes you can build, from free plans, and they made a whole episode about it.

Awesome, civil conversation between two people who don't agree on everything. Just what this forum is built on.
That was better, I appreciate that, maybe we did just become best friends:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. As far plans go I am way beyond relying on plans from anyone at this point, out of 21 scratch built planes in my hangar only 7 are Flitetest planes( I actually have 36 in my hangar, 21 are in a ready to fly state, others are under repair or in the recycle pile) and the last one was probably built 6 months ago. I simply would like to see some more relevant content that is relatable to where I am at now on a more regular basis.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Its not a matter of who is right and who is wrong but a matter of perpetuating wrong information for the next new guys who show up. Its hard keeping track of so much. I just have no life what so ever and have wayyyy too much time on my hand to fill in an effort to try and stay semi sane so I read and learn as much as I can about stuffs.
Amen(y)

JasonK

That was better, I appreciate that, maybe we did just become best friends:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. As far plans go I am way beyond relying on plans from anyone at this point, out of 21 scratch built planes in my hangar only 7 are Flitetest planes( I actually have 36 in my hangar, 21 are in a ready to fly state, others are under repair or in the recycle pile) and the last one was probably built 6 months ago. I simply would like to see some more relevant content that is relatable to where I am at now on a more regular basis.

Flite Test's main channel content is focused on getting people into the hobby (or so it seems to me). So if your at 26 planes in your hanger, I don't think your the main focus of the main channel.

Would I like to see more content aimed at people farther on in the hobby? yes.
Would Flite Test's goal of bringing people into the hobby be better met by Flite Test focusing on that content? I don't think so.

Do I have the time to make said content? no

Do you have the time and desire to make said content?
How much are you willing to pay to have someone else create it?
[these are the questions for you to answer... but if the answers are no and zero, then don't get upset that it isn't there]