Correct battery/ motor combination for a scale speed24 inch me 109

smiling albert

Hi
Those of you that sadly know me know I have been trying to build this for the last year and many thank S to those who have suffered my incessant questions.
Almost there now but need to know what motor/ battery to use.
I only want it flying at scale speed / minimum power
I do have these batteries needing a home
https://ftforumx2.s3.amazonaws.com/2021/04/364376_ce665e02503425aef96d154af1217a0c.jpeg

,not much juice but would it be enough with the right motor.?
Haven’t built it yet ,just got the design in fusion 360
Any advice much appreciated .Using 3G servos to save weight
Thanks

Paracodespoder

Elite member
That motor would work but I don’t think that battery would be much good with it, you would have enough juice to get in the air do a few seconds or maybe minutes before having to land. I’d get a 600-800 mah 2s or 3s

GrizWiz

Elite member
GetFPV has a good cheap power pack. you may need a adapter for the battery connect because it is a XT 60 but I am not sure. For the battery I would use a 2s 650mAh or 3s 650 or 3s 850.

smiling albert

Also for a real scale look was thinking of a 3 blade propeller.
Is that risky?
Read somewhere

Adding more blades decreases the overall efficiency of the prop because each blade has to cut through more turbulent air from the preceding blade.If choosing a three or four bladed propeller over a two bladed one, a very general rule of thumb is to decrease the prop diameter by an inch and increase the pitch by an inch. That said, fuselage and ground clearance issues might dictate which propeller size you can and can't have on your plane. As with everything, trial and error is going to play a part in your propeller selection.
Would it work with my homeless batter and motor ?
Thanks

bwarz

Master member
I don't know... I've seen some suggest it may work but I'm thinking the 1400kv on 2s with the 6x3 just isn't going to have enough oomph to pull a 24 inch wingspan (unless your build is crazy light) I'd go either a 3s (although more weight) or a higher kv motor and shoot for the 6x4 prop? Oh and for sure go with a higher mah battery as well...

TooJung2Die

Master member
Ok
Thanks,so will try to use my motor and the nano tech combo.
Just got to work out how to squeeze that motor into the fuselage!
I think your motor is big for a 24" airplane if all you want is scale like speed. I just finished a 30" wingspan balsa AT-6 Texan. I was going to use a similar motor but had serious second thoughts after mounting the motor on the partially completed airframe. It weighed too much and had way more thrust than necessary. I switched to a smaller motor (Racerstar BR1811 2000KV) rated for airplanes up to 200 grams (7 ounces).
Racerstar BR1811 2000KV.jpg
It weighs only 10 grams and is just enough motor for the AT-6 with a flying weight of about 6 ounces. It uses a 7x3.5 propeller with a 450 mAh 2s battery and gets 10 to 15 minutes of flying time depending on how hard you fly. It would be just as happy with your 350 mAh battery, getting maybe 6 to 10 minutes of flight.

A good compromise would be a 'A' pack 1806 as Paracodespoder suggested. Flight times would probably be about 5 minutes.

Jon