Correct ESC amperage for a small electric motor

modeler

I disassembled a drone. I want to re-use two of its motors to build a twin-engine RC model plane.

My motors are best for 3.7v, and according to their reference that I somehow found on eBay, draw 0.18A-0.20A of current.

What ESCs would I need, current-wise?

It seems like all ESCs on the market are from 6A and up; What am I missing?

jtrops

Those must be small motors. As long as your model can carry the weight you can use a higher amp ESC. The motors will only draw the amperage that they can use, and having a bigger ESC will make the it run cooler.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Should note that those are brushed motors, so you will need a brushed ESC to control them. These can be found in much smaller sizes. Should also note that these will only move a really small/light plane.

modeler

Thanks guys!

I was thinking of getting two of these.

Is there any significance to the sentence "designed for single lithium battery"?
I have a 7.4v two-cell LiPo pack (also taken from said drone).

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Thanks guys!

I was thinking of getting two of these.

Is there any significance to the sentence "designed for single lithium battery"?
I have a 7.4v two-cell LiPo pack (also taken from said drone).

Yes, it means you can only use a single cell battery - 3.7V. Using your 2S will most likely let the magic smoke out.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Yes, as you would be connecting them in parallel. Voltages in series are additive (as in your 2S battery pack) and the current is constant. Voltages in parallel are constant and the current is additive.

Technically I suppose you could connect the ESC's in series, but I wouldn't recommend it.

modeler

Yes, as you would be connecting them in parallel. Voltages in series are additive (as in your 2S battery pack) and the current is constant. Voltages in parallel are constant and the current is additive.

Technically I suppose you could connect the ESC's in series, but I wouldn't recommend it.

EDIT:
I guess I better get another battery then. Which 1S would suit me best?
The original is a 2S 650mAh;
Would a 1S 600-700 mAh suffice?

Last edited: