Help! Too heavy. What are my options?

cloudseeder

Too heavy. What are my options?

I’ve been using the UMX Ultrix as an fpv platform for proximity flying (racing around obstacles etc.). stock version flying weight is about 65 grams.

Ultrix can fly decently with 5 grams extra weight. But with the 10 grams I now need, it’s not something worth flying.

I’m trying everything possible to cut weight. It’s not looking promising. (And YES- I already shed the foam case seen below around camera and vtx!)
1593226906244.jpg

So, to my question. It is a 1S model.
I’m wondering - IF I can find a couple 2S Brushless motors with ok size, would I be able to power system with a 2S lipo? The current ESCs are hard built into the receiver, and I see no way to find any info on the receiver current/voltage tolerance, or even if it can take 2S whether the ESCs could handle it.

What are my options?

(note: Ultrix rudder channel controls differential thrust in its two engines... maybe I could use different receiver for 2S, but it would be a hassle if even possible)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
why not just try 2S ?

what ya got to lose? if it is a UMX board, i know i fly many off 3S. not sure they make much diff between planes but i have no idea. only one way to find out.

laters,

me :cool:

cloudseeder

why not just try 2S ?

what ya got to lose? if it is a UMX board, i know i fly many off 3S. not sure they make much diff between planes but i have no idea. only one way to find out.

laters,

what happens if it’s not okay?
should i disconnect servos and motors before it lights up my Rx??

cloudseeder

take a pic of the board. i will look at the one in my F-27 which i fly on 3S and see if we can see anything.

I’ve been thinking about switching to the F-27! I just don’t like that there was rudder on prior F27Q Stryker but not on current F27 Evo.
Does it feel limited to you?
anyway, here is requested pic of the Ultrix receiver.
07CCEE2D-468B-47AF-BAC4-EE4F6B3EFB06.jpeg

Bricks

Master member
I asked Horizon customer service they say no ( but could be just to cover there butt ) to running on 2S so it`s a gamble if the magic smoke comes out then you have nothing but junk.