• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Decibel challenge

Here's the challenge... Build the loudest plane you can (by any means so long as it's based on the plane. Even if you can make a plane play "Flight of the Valkyries" loud enough as it flys past, that's ok. and also the quietest plane you can. Test both by flying them past a sound device that will give you a decibel reading...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Mentor
Soon then. Got the replacement esc for Taz to put in and a fresh batch of dal cyclone 5x5 biblades on order.

Will also try them on the new Dal Mach1 build. I been flying that last few days and now have it dialed in. Cant go over 80% throttle or the 5x4x3's go super sonic and make an aweful noise.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Wouldn't it be far more difficult (and more generally beneficial) to challenge ourselves to build the QUIETEST thing possible, while still maintaining long enjoyable flight times?

Wildthing

LOL, Just for giggles on the thrust stand I put a 5X3 APC prop onto my NTM 2836 1200kv motor , 200A esc and a 5000mah 6S battery. Did it scream, I never got close to wot because my ears hurt but the thrust was out of this world. I am afraid to put it into a plane. ;)

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
My VG-33 is rather quiet, I should record it with my proper mic but I dont have any proper sound meter. Remember, a quiet prop is an efficient one (or spinning super slow)

Wouldn't it be far more difficult (and more generally beneficial) to challenge ourselves to build the QUIETEST thing possible, while still maintaining long enjoyable flight times?
I suggested both and as an experiment. Science. Learning, like the rest of the challenges... :D

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Can't do that...Noise limitations at my field require us to limit noise to 90 db. I'd rather try to build the quietest one...