Delayed arming??

jamesd3rd

This is something I discovered yesterday. I took a few minor crashes yesterday in some soft grass. Nothing major and nothing broke. The quad just flipped over with the props still spinning so I disarmed and walked it back to a spot where I could take off again. But when I tried to arm it, nothing happened. No motors would spin up. If I waited a few extra seconds, then I was able to arm. This happened a couple of times. Is there something like a reset period or cycle period before arming again after a spill? I'm using the SP F3 flight controller and DYS F30A 4-in-1 BLHeli_S DSHOT ESC. It's probably not that big of a deal. I'm just curious about this behavior.

Thanks

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
There is no delay after crashing, but there are a number of situations that can prevent arming. Most notable are that throttle must be at zero and the quad must be at less than a configurable angle, I believe the defailt is 25 degrees.

jamesd3rd

There is no delay after crashing, but there are a number of situations that can prevent arming. Most notable are that throttle must be at zero and the quad must be at less than a configurable angle, I believe the defailt is 25 degrees.
Thanks for the reply. I'm certain the throttle was at zero and the quad was more or less on a level patch of grass. I'll have to pay more attention next time as I'm sure there will be a next time. Btw...I arm using a 2-position switch as opposed to deflecting the throttle stick to one of the corners.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Btw...I arm using a 2-position switch as opposed to deflecting the throttle stick to one of the corners.

That's good, switch arming is the only way to go IMO. The throttle level still has to be below min_check to arm though. If you can get the copter to reproduce the problem on the bench with the props off, you can go into the CLI and use the status command to show the arming disabled flags.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
There isn't an arming delay, but there is a gyro recalibration on arm. After a nasty jolt, it wouldn't surprise me if that recalibration might take a second or two.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I have had this issue on my micro and 6" at times. After a crash your gyro might be freaking out for a second or two, preventing you from rearming. The solution for me was to set maximum arming angle to 180. This disables the arm angle check and should allow you to arm right after a crash, or even in mid air.