Depron Stik Scratch Build

BanditJacksRC

I was just thinking to myself.. I dont think that little turnigy will do the trick. Then I saw that Park 480.. That should do it!

charleyza

So my little stick flew!

On the maydon flight my mate (he is really good) got the little guy to hover - that motor has insain power.

Unfortunately the second flight didn't go so well :(

EDIT - I didnt even get to try fly my stick. FAIL

20141213_114814.jpg

I think the flat wing fluttered which caused it to loose lift. I will build "stick 2" out of foamboard or wood and have a foil on the wing.

I only lost the lipo in the crash and bent the motor shaft. The motor is easy enough to fix but I will bin the lipo at my local recycling center.

All other items were salvaged and I built a FT 3D from these plans - http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-3d-scratch-build

The bigger motor from the stick may be too big for the FT 3D but Im sure going to try make it fit! (MORE POWER!)

20141218_073727.jpg

Hoping to maydon this little guy this weekend!

I must say, foamboard is a far nicer material to work with than depron.

Thats how it goes with this hobby - build, crash, re-build! :D

Last edited:

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
So my little stick flew!

On the maydon flight my mate (he is really good) got the little guy to hover - that motor has insain power.

View attachment 36275

I think the flat wing fluttered which caused it to loose lift. I will build "stick 2" out of foamboard or wood and have a foil on the wing.

I only lost the lipo in the crash and bent the motor shaft. The motor is easy enough to fix but I will bin the lipo at my local recycling center.

All other items were salvaged and I built a FT 3D from these plans - http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-3d-scratch-build

The bigger motor from the stick may be too big for the FT 3D but Im sure going to try make it fit! (MORE POWER!)

View attachment 36276

Hoping to maydon this little guy this weekend!

I must say, foamboard is a far nicer material to work with than depron.

I got in on the action a little late. Loved the stick build though. I did wonder why you only got one prop. I still go through maybe one or two props in a day of flying. I would recommend having at least a few spares in your field box.

Now that FT3D you have looks great and they are awesome to fly, I love mine. You shouldn't be worried about the motor being too strong. In my opinion you can't have an over powered 3D plane. Have a 9X4 or 9X4.5 slow fly APC prop with 4:1 or better lift ratio and it's good for the FT3D.

You mentioned that you were a beginner? That must have been a beginner builder... anyhow the FT3D is an intermediate to advanced pilot plane. I wish you luck!

Last edited:

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
EDIT - yep its a 9x5 prop (not sure what that means but thats what is stamped on it)

The first number on a prop is the diameter, so in this case 9inches. The second number is the pitch, and that (on this prop), is 5. The pitch of a prop is how far forward it wants to go each time it goes around once, this practically never happens because of airframe drag.

BanditJacksRC

So my little stick flew!

Oh man that's awful. You didn't even get to fly it! Sorry man, I am veeerrryy slowly working on a Vans RV-10 made with DOW foam and know first hand how much work goes into building and using the hot wire cutter.

And Build, Crash and Rebuild is all I do these days.

I have only been building these FT planes for about 2 or 3 months and am on my 11th build. I know the feeling!

charleyza

I got in on the action a little late. Loved the stick build though. I did wonder why you only got one prop. I still go through maybe one or two props in a day of flying. I would recommend having at least a few spares in your field box.

Now that FT3D you have looks great and they are awesome to fly, I love mine. You shouldn't be worried about the motor being too strong. In my opinion you can't have an over powered 3D plane. Have a 9X4 or 9X4.5 slow fly APC prop with 4:1 or better lift ratio and it's good for the FT3D.

You mentioned that you were a beginner? That must have been a beginner builder... anyhow the FT3D is an intermediate to advanced pilot plane. I wish you luck!

I really enjoyed building the stick, I found plans for one with a foil wing by hotwax : http://flitetest.com/articles/fb-flitestick-a-40-size-swapable-trainer

Im not sure if "foil wing" is the right terminology :) - I mean the wing is not flat but has a curve to help generate lift.

I printed the plans at 60% of the original size and will build it out of balsa wood - my mate gave me plenty scrap wood to use so I figure why not try. I have several 1/10th RC cars so plan to use one of their brushless motors - I've seen these kind of 540-can size motors being used in a glider. I will document and share this build like I did with my depron stick.

Yes I am a beginner, only ever flown my E-Flight Apprentice. I realize the FT3D will be capable of more than I can handle but I figured I would set the rates really low and try take it easy with it.

It was also cheap to construct, the foamboard here is not as cheap as in the states but at R80 (about $7) for A1 its not a train smash to rebuild the fuselage. I heard Josh talk about 1$ for foamboard from dollar-tree, wish we had those here!

Thank you for the well wishes, I will report back on how the FT3D flys - busy building a second one for my father inlaw so we can fly together in our local park.

Attachments

• IMG-20141216-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20141216-WA0006.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

charleyza

The first number on a prop is the diameter, so in this case 9inches. The second number is the pitch, and that (on this prop), is 5. The pitch of a prop is how far forward it wants to go each time it goes around once, this practically never happens because of airframe drag.

Oh ok cool - they seem easy enough to change at the field - I will take a few sizes and try them out. Thank you for the information.

charleyza

Oh man that's awful. You didn't even get to fly it! Sorry man, I am veeerrryy slowly working on a Vans RV-10 made with DOW foam and know first hand how much work goes into building and using the hot wire cutter.

And Build, Crash and Rebuild is all I do these days.

I have only been building these FT planes for about 2 or 3 months and am on my 11th build. I know the feeling!

Yep - I did get to pick up the pieces though. LOL - I would have crashed it for sure though, my mate that crashed it is one of the top RC Pilots in South Africa - so I had no hope!

Is "DOW" foam the strength of it or something?

Yeah its a lot of work using the wire cutter - foamboard is far faster and easier with a sharp blade.

Well atleast you are carrying on! Building is fun but watching something you built actually fly is amazing!

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Oh ok cool - they seem easy enough to change at the field - I will take a few sizes and try them out. Thank you for the information.

I would not recommend using a larger prop, it will make the motor draw more amps, overheat and maybe burn out. A smaller prop on the other hand will give you less thrust and it will let the motor spin easier and draw less amps.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Thrust depends on a couple of factors though. A 5x5 will be faster than a 8x4 and sometimes a 9x6. Amps can be calculated, but there is no need to, larger= more amps.