Polikarpov i-153 "Chaika" (Scratch Build)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Form its behavior, It looks as though you need some right-thrust on your motor. It may be piloting, but it looks like in a straight line it wants to pull left. A little thrust angle and you should be pretty good. This airplane is in the "moderate" sense of having a short tail so you may need to enlarge the V-stab as well, especially if my assumption of your thrust angle is wrong. When you scale these aircraft down you sometimes have to make compromises in scale proportion since the air density does not scale with them.

Great job though! looks like a hearty model with a lot of potential once the kinks are worked out.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
It's good that you managed to get a good CG location with this short-nosed plane! That's a stumbling block for a lot of people's snub nosed Russian models. Now I'm by no means an expert, but with such strong roll coupling from the rudder and not much self leveling characteristic, I would avoid making it a 3 channel plane if by that you mean rudder only, it will wind up needing the ailerons to recover. Maybe 3 channel bank and yank, but roll coupling + no ailerons is just bad news unless the plane has a strong tendency to self level.

Last edited:

JP FPV

The wings are made with dihedral so there's nog problem on making it a 3ch.

Right thrust might be good to do thanks.
After I knew how to fly this plane it flew pretty well. The hardest part was that I needed to fly with the rudder only and it was nose heavy. Some small changes and I'll try again. Thanks for the reactions guys. I love to hear what others are thinking:)

Last edited:

Sir Fly

No offense intended, but did you check to make sure your rudder and ailerons weren't plugged into the wrong spots on your Rx? I did do that once myself.... :p

JP FPV

No offense intended, but did you check to make sure your rudder and ailerons weren't plugged into the wrong spots on your Rx? I did do that once myself.... :p

:D No it flies like a 3ch but it definitely could happen to me though. also butting stuff in reverse :p.
But not this time:eek:.