Help! Designing a simple plane, Dilateral wings, 2 push props.

Terro

I have 2 small brushless motors, and a board from an old broken Hot wheels Street Hawk. I have a good cardboard box, which is a little thinner than the ones from a grocery store. i just finished (Carefully) tearing the electronics out of the Street Hawk. Does someone have a design that uses "jank and yank" but can be adjusted to have upward angled wings? (i forget the term) I think the way it's programmed, the motors aren't at full power when the throttle is at full. by turning while at full throttle, it actually increases the power of one side and decreases the power of the other, inducing a gradual tilt. and once i release the pitch+yaw stick, it returns both motors to normal throttle. also, a plane that pitches up more would be good, as it rises VERY slowly at the current rate. (err... it did rise at a slow rate...) i do NOT want to buy anything, so does anyone have a design, or a free program to design my own and simulate the lift and CG? (also, did you know i like parenthesis? I may or may not have forgotten the term "Dilateral wings" about 30 seconds after writing it...)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
You can use Simple Planes simulator for testing ideas. You will need downward trust for the pusher motors. You are going to need a SUPER light airframe so I’d recommend using thin foam plates you can buy at like Walmart. Thin cardboard should work just fine though. Keep the weight to a minimum by only using as little as you can of everything. My idea was to use toothpicks attached to the single layer of a foam plate. The other end can be attached to a bbq skewer that leads to the foam tail. If that flys well, you could try adding some super light landing gear. I’d recommend looking at the umx vapor for inspiration. Good luck!

Attachments

• 5285625E-7F49-4B28-BDAD-243A3BD4BE78.jpeg
    5285625E-7F49-4B28-BDAD-243A3BD4BE78.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 0

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I have 2 small brushless motors, and a board from an old broken Hot wheels Street Hawk.
Do the motors come with the plane? And are the motors on the street hawk also brushless? If not, the motors and board might not work together.

Terro

Do the motors come with the plane? And are the motors on the street hawk also brushless? If not, the motors and board might not work together.
yep, all my electronics are from the plane. i already tried to make a drone. let's just say, it was a little too hot.
You can use Simple Planes simulator for testing ideas. You will need downward trust for the pusher motors. You are going to need a SUPER light airframe so I’d recommend using thin foam plates you can buy at like Walmart. Thin cardboard should work just fine though. Keep the weight to a minimum by only using as little as you can of everything. My idea was to use toothpicks attached to the single layer of a foam plate. The other end can be attached to a bbq skewer that leads to the foam tail. If that flys well, you could try adding some super light landing gear. I’d recommend looking at the umx vapor for inspiration. Good luck!
Thanks! also, why do i need downwards angled propellers? oh, do you mean, the motor is facing backwards and downwards?

Edit; hold up. I don't want to spend money at the moment, i just fixed my Slash 4x4. Do you know of any free flight simulators?

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks! also, why do i need downwards angled propellers? oh, do you mean, the motor is facing backwards and downwards?
I don’t know if any free software where you can create your own designs. Absolute rc simulator is free😃 it works with a smartphone and can give you good practice with 4-channel flying. The reason for the slight downward thrust angle is so the plane pitches up when you apply throttle. The more down thrust you give it, the more it will pitch up when you apply throttle. Be sure to share it with us when you’re finished - I’m eager so see what you come up with! Good luck!

Last edited:

Terro

I don’t know if any free software where you can create your own designs. Absolute rc simulator is free😃 it works with a smartphone and can give you good practice with 4-channel flying. The reason for the slight downward thrust angle is so the plane pitches up when you apply throttle. The more down thrust you give it, the more it will pitch up when you apply throttle. Be sure to share it with us when you’re finished - I’m eager so see what you come up with! Good luck!
oh i get it, i thought you meant in front of the wings and the front of the props facing downward XD i'm such a doofus XD i just found this free plane designer and simulator though, so no worries! thanks for the tips! and i sure will :)

Terro

So, change of plans. i'm going for the FT scout, but i have something weird. i have 12 sheets. 4 make a smaller version, and 8 that make a version at least twice as big. what is that about? also, could the Scout run off 1 motor and 2 roll servos?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
There are two different scouts, the mini scout and the full size scout. I have the full size scout - it’s a great plane. You will need two servos for the roll (ailerons) but if you only have two servos to use, then build it as a rudder and elevator, since the scout needs the elevator to gain and lose altitude.

Terro

There are two different scouts, the mini scout and the full size scout. I have the full size scout - it’s a great plane. You will need two servos for the roll (ailerons) but if you only have two servos to use, then build it as a rudder and elevator, since the scout needs the elevator to gain and lose altitude.
good tip, thanks! also, my Xacto knife doesn't work well with this foam. i tried using that oscillating tool with the knife attachment, but it worked a little too well. my dad and i thought about making a support for it and putting a hole in this card table and moving the foam, on the table, to cut the pieces. is there a better way you can think of doing it?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
good tip, thanks! also, my Xacto knife doesn't work well with this foam. i tried using that oscillating tool with the knife attachment, but it worked a little too well. my dad and i thought about making a support for it and putting a hole in this card table and moving the foam, on the table, to cut the pieces. is there a better way you can think of doing it?
I always use a box cutter, which works pretty well for me. It takes a little practice to get clean cuts though. Be sure you have a SHARP blade. They full quickly from cutting through paper, so get a pack of blades and switch em out when the foam starts balling up - it makes a huge difference! Have fun!

Terro

Are you scratch building them, or did you get the speed build kit?
Scratch build. i was hoping not to spend money constantly on razors tho. i saw someone mention to spread candle wax on the blade, is that viable? also, how can i slow down how fast the foam dulls the blade?

Piotrsko

Master member
There are 2 methods to slow the dulling: 1: constantly strop the edge to reset the "teeth" either with a steel or a leather strop like barbers use. 2:use a better grade of hardened high carbon steel. There are scalpel handles that use pricy surgical blades which are wicked sharp but $$$. Sometimes can be bought at craft stores. While you are there look at pizza cutter fabric cutting wheels with a tungsten edge. Killer for straight through lines and they're not that pricey. I have 15 years on mine.

Piotrsko

Master member
Come to think of it, there is a 3rd way: box cutters that use single edge razor blades. A pack of blades is a couple of bucks, they are wicked sharp. Just don't try going through TSA points with one.

Piotrsko

Master member
Yeah, those places where you carry contraband and the TSA sticks you in jail. Sorry, part time dyslexic wordsmith (there's an oxymoron). I just grab the closest word and move on before I forget my thought.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
You can use a dull razor blade, it will just be kinda hard an ball up the foam, or you can get a fifty pack of razor blades for 5-10$ at Walmart...

Last edited:

Terro

Yeah, those places where you carry contraband and the TSA sticks you in jail. Sorry, part time dyslexic wordsmith (there's an oxymoron). I just grab the closest word and move on before I forget my thought.
...okayy. lol XD i used to start writing Minecraft stories and never finish them (I was 11 and a minecraft kid at the time okay?!) the other funny part is, i used to be slightly dyslexic. i thought you were talking about something on an RC aircraft XD, not the TSA.

Terro

*slaps the jail button* JAIL HIM! *slap* *slap*