Designing/making a VTOL (aka V-280 Valor, Bell XV-15, or the V-22 Osprey)

Zephyr1

Elite member
I copied Tom Stanton and got a carbon fiber spar and then 3d printed the motor tilts. The plane is going to end up being under 1 kg to keep a 2:1 thrust to weight ratio. The tilt setup with the carbon spar is about 480g.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I am finally getting back to this and am throwing away the sub-250g plans for now and going to work on getting something working first, then see about redesigning down to sub-250g, if I enjoy flying it. perhaps a quad or fixed wing might just be a better flying experience long term.

I am going to use 2 of my A packs for the motors, on 3S with 6x3 props, they put out about 400g of static thrust each, so I still need to target 400g or less.

My current design is roughly this:

Part

Weight

WingSpar - 18" wood rod

30g

Tail boom - 12" wood rod

20g

4x 5g Servos (flaperons & Vtail)

20g

2x 14g Servos (Motor Pod Tilt)

28g

2x FT 1806 2280kV Motors

36g

2x FT 20A ESC w/XT-30

56g

1300mAh 3S w/ XT-60

122g

F405 Wing Flight Controller

30g

2x Servo Extensions

10g
leaving 48g for props, 3D printed parts, misc wires, push-rods, FPV camera (5g), any other remaining bits. So I suspect I am going to be a bit under 2:1 thrust to weight ratio for the initial build. The ESCs definitely are on the heavy side (don't need the BECs and could do without the connectors, etc and I believe they are a bit over speced for the motors). This is rather unfortunate as there isn't a whole lot of weight to be saved on the electronics as it stands and that is where the majority of the weight is currently coming from.

It might be worth checking the weight of a box tail boom made of foam-board as that might be able to save some mass over using the wood rod, but wouldn't be as strong. (I think this could save 10g over the wood rod).

The wing is the majority of foam in question, which will be about 35g if I did my math correctly, the tail will be ~10g of foam, 5g for the FPV camera... which leaves 0g for the power pods, push-rods/etc. With some creative work, I might still be able to pull off close to the 400g goal.

TopDownVtol.png

leaded50

Legendary member
i have higher belive on such ideas as here, where fans in wings do the VTOL...

Attachments

• XV-58 Manta.jpg
    XV-58 Manta.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
  • XV-58 Manta2.jpg
    XV-58 Manta2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 4826ae21075073.56043986b2309.jpg
    4826ae21075073.56043986b2309.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0

JasonK

looks like the CG calculator likes a slightly shorter tail boom (-1 in) then what I had guess in my drawing, this puts the suggest GC right at 2" from the leading edge, which puts it right in the middle of the expected spar (which is where it needs to be for hover). and the CG should move slightly forward (or not at all) when the motors tilt forward.

https://www.ecalc.ch/cgcalc.php?dee....90;3;2;0;0;0;0;1;0;0;0;0;4;0;0;0;0;10;25;10;

JasonK

I got v0.5 of the tilt mechanism working in my hands. Still needs a few bits fine tuning of how stuff fits/etc. to get it all to be stable on its own (first print, some of the parts didn't fit.. made them slightly bigger and they got sloppy... have to find that happy middle..

L Edge

Master member
I got v0.5 of the tilt mechanism working in my hands. Still needs a few bits fine tuning of how stuff fits/etc. to get it all to be stable on its own (first print, some of the parts didn't fit.. made them slightly bigger and they got sloppy... have to find that happy middle..

That is why Tom went to the later model he developed.

JasonK

That is why Tom went to the later model he developed.
most of my printing problems is that my printer tends to the dimentions of things off ever so slightly... so for example a part that should have a 10mm hole in it, I have to make the hole 10.25mm so it prints at 10mm. This is rather random to some extent and not just a general scaling issue. Perhapse slowing down the printer and spending a good chuck of time tuning it, _might_ get me more dimentionally accurate prints... but when we are talking errors this small, I don't know that spending that time will actually gain me anything.

JasonK

more progress!
I have the wing mostly build (still need to put in the servos for the flaperons) and a temporary attached tail boom and mock tail, just to get some visual reference to what it is so far (The tail is currently planned to be a Vtail).

I need to put in a few screws, just to keep things from coming apart in flight (the gears on the servos can currently pop-off and the shaft through the bearings isn't attached to anything in the spar, so could come loose in flight.

CampRobber

The ESCs definitely are on the heavy side (don't need the BECs and could do without the connectors, etc and I believe they are a bit over speced for the motors). This is rather unfortunate as there isn't a whole lot of weight to be saved on the electronics as it stands and that is where the majority of the weight is currently coming from.

https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...oducts/spedix-20a-esc-lite-dshot-600-blheli_s

4 grams. In addition to being heavy and having dumb 7805 BECs, I'm not sure if the FT ESC supports anything besides standard 50hz pwm. That isn't ideal from a fc/stability control point of view. Any kwad pilot will say Oneshot125 is like BARE minimum but dshot is easier especially if you have several.

It might be worth checking the weight of a box tail boom made of foam-board as that might be able to save some mass over using the wood rod, but wouldn't be as strong. (I think this could save 10g over the wood rod).

Or a carbon fiber arrow shaft or tube. Every mad scratch builder should have a go-to light strong composite hollow rod.

The wing is the majority of foam in question, which will be about 35g if I did my math correctly, the tail will be ~10g of foam, 5g for the FPV camera... which leaves 0g for the power pods, push-rods/etc. With some creative work, I might still be able to pull off close to the 400g goal.
View attachment 181628

I've been building some boats recently. Just ladling on epoxy with no regard to weight. It's awesome. But I have two of those FT1806s on the way and this thread is interesting to me.

JasonK

https://www.racedayquads.com/collec...oducts/spedix-20a-esc-lite-dshot-600-blheli_s

4 grams. In addition to being heavy and having dumb 7805 BECs, I'm not sure if the FT ESC supports anything besides standard 50hz pwm. That isn't ideal from a fc/stability control point of view. Any kwad pilot will say Oneshot125 is like BARE minimum but dshot is easier especially if you have several.
thanks, if I get this airborn and want to keep working on it (getting it down to 'exacting' measurements), that will be helpful.

Or a carbon fiber arrow shaft or tube. Every mad scratch builder should have a go-to light strong composite hollow rod.
I looked up some carbon fiber stuff and was having trouble finding the size/strength/weight ratios I needed... and the wood rods were handy.

I've been building some boats recently. Just ladling on epoxy with no regard to weight. It's awesome. But I have two of those FT1806s on the way and this thread is interesting to me.
absolutely.... I am interested in what happens with remote ID... because it might make or break this project long term (250g seems to be a challenging mass point for something like this, given that many things don't scale linearly with size.)

CampRobber

(250g seems to be a challenging mass point for something like this, given that many things don't scale linearly with size.)

Yeah, definitely harder than just a vanilla airplane. I'm thinking I might build one with ducts and stubby wings, sort of avatar gunship style. It'll be an interesting project and can be tested indoors. Besides the FAA I'm also dealing with winter here.

JasonK

Yeah, definitely harder than just a vanilla airplane. I'm thinking I might build one with ducts and stubby wings, sort of avatar gunship style. It'll be an interesting project and can be tested indoors. Besides the FAA I'm also dealing with winter here.

yah, if wanted to just do the avatar gunship thing, it would just be the 2 motors and 2 servos, wouldn't need the wing surfaces. Maybe a 3rd servo for an elevator on the tail, to allow more forward speed without nosing down as much.

JasonK

got it mostly built. Just need to finish the one power pod, and wire them up all the way and I could test hovering.
Still need to install some servos for forward flight.

Getting the CG right is fairly tight, still have to figure out how I am going to mount the battery in a way that can't slide around.

1606506622126.png

CampRobber

My plan is to get it flying indoors but design it in such a way that wings could be inserted later. Yes, an elevator would be required for that, though I'm not sure whether I'll bother with other control surfaces.

What is the vertical offset between the battery and the spar/tilt axis? In that photo it looks kinda close.

JasonK

looks like ~33mm from the top of the spar to the top of the battery.

battery is about 125g and my AUW is looking to be about 420g (I am trying to reach 400g or less, to get a 2:1 thrust: weight, but this is the first pass and doesn't look promising to reach that).

CampRobber

My understanding of bicopter physics is that pitch authority is proportional to cg-hinge vertical distance. I think the reason Stanton used the droopy fuselage pod was to hold the battery lower. It looked closer than 33mm, but I'm not actually sure what distance is required.

JasonK

correct, more distance improves pitch authority in the bicopter config, but weakens control in fixed wing mode.

I also don't know how much is going to be needed, will have to test.