• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DHC-4 question

Best greetings to all. I'm new to the community, and I'm hoping that someone can give me a bit of advice. I'm working up plans for a DHC-4, about 62" span, mostly 'cause I want to play with flaps. In looking at images of the plane, I'm trying to figure out the best way of attaching the nacelles to the wing. I'd like to have it rounded to make it easier deal with the inboard flaps. I'd appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Attachments

Merv

Welcome to the forums.
It hard to visualize exactly what you have in mind. A picture of your build would be helpful. I use hot glue and strapping tape to hold my motors in place.

It’s great that you want to design your own plane. I’d recommend building a few of the FT planes first. If you run into trouble, we will be able to give far more assistance if we are dealing with a known plane.

Best greetings to all. I'm new to the community, and I'm hoping that someone can give me a bit of advice. I'm working up plans for a DHC-4, about 62" span, mostly 'cause I want to play with flaps. In looking at images of the plane, I'm trying to figure out the best way of attaching the nacelles to the wing. I'd like to have it rounded to make it easier deal with the inboard flaps. I'd appreciate any help anyone could offer.
Thanks, Merv. I appreciate the input. Is there a preferred format for images? I'll post what I have so far.

Merv

Thanks, Merv. I appreciate the input. Is there a preferred format for images? I'll post what I have so far.
No, not that I’m aware of. The way you did the wire diagram was fine. Most videos are uploaded to YouTube, then copy and paste the the link on the forums.

Hope this attachment works. I'm working on the wing at this point, generally a Clark Y as indicated. My gut says inboard height of the spars is too small despite what the airfoil says. And of course, the nacelles with attached inboard flap is an architectural issue. I have not yet cut foam -- I like doing it on CorelDraw first, then assemble it is Blender to check 3d fit(s). THEN I get to cut foam!

Attachments

Welcome to the community. Looks like a nice project! Your plans are already on a good track. Maybe you want to have a look at the build thread of my Heinkel 219. There are some pictures showing my design of the nacelles. There are no released plans yet as I am still flight testing, but I think I will be ready in a few weeks. If you have questions on some specific elements of my solution, let me know.
386390F1-5E02-49DF-8719-88DF53772D0D.jpeg

Bavarian, you are a life-saver. You're way ahead of me, particularly with nacelles. Version 0.2 of mine are already in progress after putting the first page on foam! I appreciate the wisdom, thanks.

Glad if I could help you. In the meantime my plans and the build instruction are progressing quite well. I hope to have them out soon. Could give you a better inside view of my design. I keep following you, keep updating your progress.

Well, I did call it an alpha version, and here's a good example of why. The canopy roof is very much the wrong size, and the side pieces need rework to make them fit properly. Going back and forth between software packages doesn't help much, either, but I will keep at it. I can start seeing what it will look like when done, which is the motivation I need. Here's a pic from Blender for your amusement. Caribou Oops.png