Different brands of foambard

reburg99

hey gang,

I know there were some alternatives to the Ross and Adams FB that where the paper was harder to peel off. I searched though the form but couldn't find which one it was. I wanted to use something a little sturdier for the power pods and some repairs :(.. thanks guys(or gals)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Adams = DTFB = Standard FTFB

Ross is harder to peal

. . . but . . .

Coroplast power pods are nearly indestructible.

That's the corrugated plastic sheeting used in advertisement and political signs. this time of election season it's not hard to find (or if you're going to be good about it, I've found it at Lowes in recent past in large sheets). you can cut the pod out aligned with the corrugated flues in two ways (I've seen both done), but my preferred way is cross-grained -- the flute-holes end up pointing up out of the top of the pod instead of pointing out of the back of the pod. the advantage of this is I can pump hot glue into strategic flutes (firewall connection, tabs, skewer hole) and make those potential weak points unbelievably strong.

My Coroplast pods weigh about 50% heavier than a DTFB pod and I've never broken a pod. I've broken firewalls attached to the pod, but they never fold/spindle/mutilate themselves in a crash.

reburg99

OH! Great idea! Have you had any issues with balancing? Are you scuffing the Coroplast or does the hotgue stick to it as is?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
The other much heavier foam board some people use is Elmer's foam board. You can get it at Walmart and a lot of craft stores.