Dominator KFm3 wing, Beta release

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just a heads up! you can fit a small central vertical fin and attach short streamers to the wing tips for drag induced yaw stability. Just make sure that you fit one on each wingtip or you could find yourself flying in circles.

Have fun!
Thanks, What it there was just on central fin and nothing on the wing tips?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks, What it there was just on central fin and nothing on the wing tips?
A central fin very close to the CG would normally need to be quite tall and large in area BUT add some tip streamers and the size can be reduced quite markedly.

Mind you I do like a bit of yaw stability.

We found out about the streamer drag doing dog fighting with tip streamers, (a central one would wrap itself around the prop.
Anyway when someone managed to cut a streamer the victim was definitely out of the fight with massive yaw and often only full aileron managed to save it from spiralling in!

Have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
A central fin very close to the CG would normally need to be quite tall and large in area BUT add some tip streamers and the size can be reduced quite markedly.

Mind you I do like a bit of yaw stability.

We found out about the streamer drag doing dog fighting with tip streamers, (a central one would wrap itself around the prop.
Anyway when someone managed to cut a streamer the victim was definitely out of the fight with massive yaw and often only full aileron managed to save it from spiralling in!

Have fun!
Yea makes sense when there is no leverage to play on it being so close to CG. I guess the more drag the tips have the more stabile it will be as long as the drag is even on both sides

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@whackflyer here she is, got her programmed, balanced and minwaxed. It's ready for tomorrows maiden, I'll do up a vid for ya and post it here if you like. I have had bad luck with wings so far so if this one is the diamond it will be a keeper.
20200123_235621.jpg

One thing I do have to say is I like how light the airframe is, and how easy and quick it is to build. Seems like a solid airframe to, mind you I did a couple changes to it like size and the spar, of course the ironing of the edges. I am excited to try it tomorrow (y)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Looks clean and ready for flight.

Next time, (if there is one), try tapering the rear of the pod to the approximate diameter of the motor. This actually quietens the bird and improves the speed or efficiency a little.

It should fly sweet and stable as long as you do not over control it.

have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So @BATTLEAXE how did the maiden go?
Maiden went well, trying to edit the video now but having some complications getting it started, won't add the video file to the library this time. I have tried trimming and compressing before and it has worked in the past but not today.

The maiden was good, dialed it in to fly straight, just got to adjust some throws a bit and it should be a good wing. Definitely light and solid. Had som low batteries in the Tx so there was quite a few signal issues, I did down it twice. The soft snow and the solid airframe resulted in no damage. Impressed so far

whackflyer

Master member
Nice smooth flying! I’ll be waiting for more video. It looks like your battery fits fine and there would be room for a hatch cover. If I was you and didn’t want to stuff it full of snow, I would just cut a piece of foam the same width as the piece you curved around the front of the fuse. Make it just long enough to cover the hatch. Then just tape hinge it at the front and reinforce the sides where its just paper with some hot glue, smear it off. The a simple tape tab at the back. See the hatch section of the arrow build vid for reference if you need. It’s much easier to do then it sounds!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nice smooth flying! I’ll be waiting for more video. It looks like your battery fits fine and there would be room for a hatch cover. If I was you and didn’t want to stuff it full of snow, I would just cut a piece of foam the same width as the piece you curved around the front of the fuse. Make it just long enough to cover the hatch. Then just tape hinge it at the front and reinforce the sides where its just paper with some hot glue, smear it off. The a simple tape tab at the back. See the hatch section of the arrow build vid for reference if you need. It’s much easier to do then it sounds!
I was thinking about it and I may do that tonight. I do have the throws dialed in now I think, there was to much throw in todays flight, seemed like it wanted to stall easy. I also change the prop to a 8x8, the motor has enough torque to handle it, plus I like speed. I still have this vid as unlisted so I will do the re-maiden tomorrow and delete this one, I want to do it justice

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I was thinking about it and I may do that tonight. I do have the throws dialed in now I think, there was to much throw in todays flight, seemed like it wanted to stall easy. I also change the prop to a 8x8, the motor has enough torque to handle it, plus I like speed. I still have this vid as unlisted so I will do the re-maiden tomorrow and delete this one, I want to do it justice
One thing you could try to neutralize the handling is to change the mix ratios in the elevon mix such that the ailerons are 45% or even 40% whereas the elevator is only 55% or 60%. This change makes the bird a little more agile in pitch but decreases the roll rate. This makes the bird a little more acrobatic if combined with a general increase in control surface deflection.

It works for me.

have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
One thing you could try to neutralize the handling is to change the mix ratios in the elevon mix such that the ailerons are 45% or even 40% whereas the elevator is only 55% or 60%. This change makes the bird a little more agile in pitch but decreases the roll rate. This makes the bird a little more acrobatic if combined with a general increase in control surface deflection.

It works for me.

have fun!
Are you talking rates or expos?I am guessing rates.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Are you talking rates or expos?I am guessing rates.
When your transmitter is setup for elevon mixing it actually mixes, (combines), the aileron and elevator functions, (stick movements), and then provides the required outputs on the Aileron and elevator channels to give the correct control surface movements.

As a default, the amount of stick movement used is 50% of each function so that each channel has a total of 100% of servo travel on each of the elevon outputs on the Rx. Unfortunately equal deflection of the aileron function and the elevator function only suits a small number of the possible elevon installations because of the varying wing planforms that can be used.

So on MOST transmitters the elevon mix has a ratio, (default 50:50), that can be adjusted to tune the control balance of the plane. On a plank flying wing the pitch response is somewhat extreme whilst the roll can be sluggish and so you can adjust the mix ratio to dampen the pitch response and enhance the roll response whereas on a swept back wing the roll is improved but the pitch becomes less sensitive.

The extreme is when you go to a narrow delta where the roll is extreme whereas the pitch is very sluggish.

By adjusting the amount of the aileron control and the elevator control in the elevon mix you can alter the effective responses of the plane so that the wing handling is more neutral and so easier to fly, (especially for the newbie).

I use it all of the time, (especially when teaching my students the joys of flying wings).

Have fun!