DRAFT Flite Fest 2018 WWII Community Design & Build Off Discussion

LitterBug

Techno Nut
@rockboy,
Should airships, Rocket planes, or rockets be allowed? (ie X-1)

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Is this restricted to foam board? The specifications in the original post seem to suggest this without actually saying it.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@Litterbug - Airships and rocket ships that meet the other criteria are fine as long as you design them with the FT Power pack compatible electric motor in mind.

@TexMechsRobot - Flite Test building techniques are strongly encouraged (and that encouragement will be reflected in the scoring rubric) but foam board construction is not mandated. Fiberglassed foam board, building from foam blocks, etc. would be acceptable but the requirements for community released plans and build instructions still need to be met - and the further the deviation from standard FT techniques, the more in depth those plans and instructions should be to help other interested builders grow their skills.

For other weird designs, http://www.unicraft.biz/uniavail.htm has a ton of neat and unusual planes down in their 1/72 scale kit listing too - need to sort through with an eye for the right time period, but it's a treasure trove of odd ball airframe ideas.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wait, I though this was to be WWII themed... did I miss that?

Yes - military planes intended for use in WWII, designed during WWII (or during the build up to WWII and the designer intended it to be ready for use), or built during WWII but didn't arrive at the front on time, etc.

Not all of the planes on the http://www.unicraft.biz/uniavail.htm site would meet the criteria, but a lot of them would. Their listings are sort of sparse though, and anything that catches the eye probably needs more research to confirm it fits.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've made the following update to address (current lack of) FT Power Pack EDF availability:

"Until Flite Test makes available an EDF power pack, jet or rocket designs may use any available EDF or modify the airframe for pusher prop or prop-in-slot with no scoring penalty."

Depending on when FT releases an EDF (and how many community designers are building using an EDF), we'll make a decision on how to provide scoring incentives to address changing designs.

Or maybe that's something we should work out now just in case.... hmmm....

Liam B

Alright, I call the Bell YFM-1 Airacuda!
download.jpg

Fidget

I'd like to do the Avro Anson if deemed appropriate. Served only as a trainer in WW2. They'd already decided it wasn't fit for front line battle. Doesn't meet the WW2 prototype spirit, but seems like it meets otherwise and it was on my list to do soon already.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I'll be excited to see what comes out of this one! A LOT of unique options, and I love that this is pushing into the dawn of the jet age. Will allow for a lot of diversity. I've got a few projects to think about first but I'll be watching closely and mulling things over for a bit :)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Well, the XP-67 Moonbat is basically a 4-bladed SuperBee ... shouldn't be too hard for someone to modify?! ;) :p

xp-67.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'd like to do the Avro Anson if deemed appropriate. Served only as a trainer in WW2. They'd already decided it wasn't fit for front line battle. Doesn't meet the WW2 prototype spirit, but seems like it meets otherwise and it was on my list to do soon already.

I'd love to see a released set of plans for that plane, but according to sources it did see limited combat in WW2

Limited numbers of Ansons continued to serve in operational roles such as coastal patrols and air/sea rescue. Early in the war, an Anson scored a probable hit on a German U-boat[citation needed]. In June 1940, a flight of three Ansons was attacked by nine Luftwaffe Messerschmitt Bf 109s. Remarkably, before the dogfight ended, without losing any of their own, one of the Ansons had destroyed two German aircraft and damaged a third.[20]

So from a design perspective it doesn't meet the scoring criteria, but I would leave it to the local coordinator to see if it's disqualified from joining the community events at Flite Fest if the design and build instructions are released. At the very least, we'll just brand it as an outcast for being such a succesfull airframe and less weird than the rest of the cool kids :p

Last edited:

TexMechsRobot

I know that most people are going for different types of power but I'm fascinated with the gliders that most military groups were developing and using. I think it could be fun to try for the 5 minute duration with a prototype military glider.

I've got my eye on the Junkers JU-322 Mammut

ju-322_vyk.jpg

Fidget

@rockyboy - Fair enough. I may try to do it anyway for fun.
For the contest, though, I'll plan on the Vultee XP-81. What could possibly go wrong trying to mate prop & jet power in one plane?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

On the Avro Anson, rather than saying 'it's out' when it is really close on the line, following last year's example with the scoring rubric I think we have a way to include it but still give preference for the other designs that do meet the base criteria. I'll put up the draft scoring rubric in a moment and would like your (and anyone else's) feedback on this.

Still would like the weird stuff the most :p

Thanks,

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I know that most people are going for different types of power but I'm fascinated with the gliders that most military groups were developing and using. I think it could be fun to try for the 5 minute duration with a prototype military glider.

I've got my eye on the Junkers JU-322 Mammut

There are certainly some weird (and big) glider prototypes out there - are you thinking a tow line up or bungee / high start to get going?

TexMechsRobot

Tow line or powered ascent. I don't know if I could build it light yet strong enough for a bungee start. I have a year to experiment though!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
DRAFT Scoring Rubric

So here's where I'm at with the draft scoring rubric.

Hopefully this will help us address some of the edge case requests while keeping in mind that we want to encourage more participation, more community designing, and more fun as a primary goal, and working within the same guidelines as a secondary goal. I'd rather include an aircraft that was involved in one skirmish in WW2 at a steep point penalty instead of lose a participant in the challenge - but the scoring preference should be weighted towards those meeting all of the requirements.

Design-off Scoring Rubric: 163 points total

1. Selection of views: 10
a. Quality and accuracy: 5
b. Additional reference material for modifications: 5​

2. Aerodynamic design: 20
a. Scale airfoil: 5
b. CG, loading(area or cubic), incidence, washout: 10
c. Other design incorporations (NACA ducts and cowls, etc.): 5​

3. Materials: 40
a. Quality and selection of materials for strategic use: 5
b. Covering selection: 5
c. Resourcefulness: 5
d. Thriftiness: 5
e. Durability: 5
f. Prefabricated parts (higher score for less used): 5
g. FT Power Pack motor (or approved EDF/Glider exception): 10​

4. Scale features: 20
a. Cockpit: 5
b. Engine (dummy, cowl, vents, exhaust, etc.): 5
c. Retracts (1=none): 5
d. Other (Provide comment): 5 ___________​

5. Flight (not based on pilot skill): 18
a. Take off: 5
b. Stability: 5
c. Maneuverability: 5
d. Landing: 3​

6. Basic rules: 55
a. closeness of design to selected scale: 5
b. FT build techniques: 5 (fewer FT techniques=lower score)
c. Subject meets "intended for WWII use but did not see combat" requirement: 25
d. Quality of plans: 10 (higher for FT-quality)
e. Quality of build instructions: 10​