Durafly Tundra 1300mm Sports Model w/Flaps - User Review

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Earlier this year Hobby King gave me an opportunity check out the new Tundra model.

Now that it is officially released we can have some serious fun.

Durafly® ™ Tundra 1300mm Sports Model w/Flaps (PnF)

Check out the unboxing by DutchRC.

I know this is going to sound over the top but wow.
This plane impressed me right away. If you looked at my Pawnee review it took some time for me to warm up to that plane well no such issue with the Tundra.

The build is very quick with very little fussing around.
The screws are well labelled and the manual is direct/clear.
I did have a few questions about the servo setup but sorted that out.

Flying on boy. Now I was asked is this a good starter.
No. Why? Well I think it is a lot of plane for someone new.
I'm going to say plane number 3 or 4. Like when you are getting to more advanced flying.
Before that I think you could get into trouble and well have an negative experience.

Will I use it as a training plane? Totally.
FPV? Totally.

Specs:
Wingspan: 1300mm
Length: 1190m
Flying Weight: 1150g
Motor: 3636-950Kv Brushless outrunner
ESC: Aerostar 40amp Brushless ESC
Prop: Durafly Carbon Fiber 12x6”

Initial review:

Flyby footage:

I've flown the Tundra now is all kinds of conditions from perfect sunny calm days to a winter storm in 35 KM winds. It just performs well.

I did all my tests with a A-Spec 3S 2200 65C battery and used an ORX 6 channel DSMX receivers.

IMG_7831.JPG IMG_7833.JPG IMG_7835.JPG IMG_7842.JPG

Build Photos:
IMG_7140.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG IMG_0213.JPG IMG_0214.JPG IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0218.JPG IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0221.JPG IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0225.JPG IMG_0226.JPG IMG_0229.JPG IMG_0230.JPG IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0236.JPG IMG_0238.JPG IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0240.JPG IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0249.JPG IMG_7150.JPG IMG_7149.JPG IMG_7561.JPG IMG_7620.JPG

Last edited:

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I will do some tests with the floats on snow next but the skis worked great.

kacknor

Build another!
Ordered mine this morning with some options and spares form the International warehouse. Skis are backorder in US. Can't wait!

JD

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Ordered mine this morning with some options and spares form the International warehouse. Skis are backorder in US. Can't wait!

JD

I'm going to order a prop or 2 as a spare as well.
Keep us posted on your impressions of the plane.
I wanted to see if I'm the mark or not.

kacknor

Build another!
You bet. I also have a spare prop coming, and skis, and with my history and landing skills, a new landing gear assembly. Just because. ;)

JD

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
As much as I like this plane and all the positives, I think I am going to pass for now. Loved watching all your videos André!

The price to my door is right at $200, which would sink my hobby budget to low levels right now. Also with my hanger nearly full, I am not sure I can fit another one easily until I sell a few of my extras. Oh, and then there is the look from my wife when another package with a plane shows up. :) She doesn't understand spending my "fun money" part of our budget on non-practical things like planes.

If the price was $150 to the door, I would have made room (even if in at my office). But at this price point I am going to hold off and see the general public's reactions and build my hobby funds up.

Here is the first crash scene I have found. I believe it is Tim King's from RC groups.
first tundra crash.JPG

kacknor

Build another!
As much as I like this plane and all the positives, I think I am going to pass for now. Loved watching all your videos André!

The price to my door is right at $200, which would sink my hobby budget to low levels right now. Also with my hanger nearly full, I am not sure I can fit another one easily until I sell a few of my extras. Oh, and then there is the look from my wife when another package with a plane shows up. :) She doesn't understand spending my "fun money" part of our budget on non-practical things like planes.

If the price was $150 to the door, I would have made room (even if in at my office). But at this price point I am going to hold off and see the general public's reactions and build my hobby funds up.

Here is the first crash scene I have found. I believe it is Tim King's from RC groups.
View attachment 62552

Oh My! That COULD be me!

I know what you mean about the budget/hanger space. Until this morning I was on the stopping edge myself and am now well over for both. No spending for about 6 or 8 weeks, and spent about an hour of time after placing the order rearranging and stacking the basement hobby space.

I was able to do this only because a well timed Birthday coming up and a 'Gift' promise of help with the cost.

JD

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Oh I'm very much in tune with budget issues.
With the Canadian exchange rate tanking I've been really focused on what is important.

$144.27 for the plane from the international warehouse (discounted price)
$62.89 for shipping. 5000g to Canada
= $207.16 USD

That is close to $300 Canadian which is a lot but still a pretty amazing deal for a plane of this level.

Again I completely understand the position. There is a reason my I like the last quarter of the year.

kacknor

Build another!
Well HK is on the ball today. Ordered this morning, I just got a tracking number and its marked as shipped. Never mind FedEx hasn't a clue yet about it. ;) I should have it Saturday, maybe Monday. Have the radio system checked out. Spektrum RX with satellite, and an ORX stabilizer that's been in the box a while as I built things too small for it.

JD

Fyathyrio

I currently have around six high wing planes, two of which have flaps, in various sizes. What makes this stand out above things like Parkzone Sport Cub, Flyzone Sensei, FMS Super EZ Trainer, FT Storch, ect that I already own?

airhawk

Crashing Ace
We need a kit version i cant afford the pnf version please hobby king any way andre great job on the thread.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I currently have around six high wing planes, two of which have flaps, in various sizes. What makes this stand out above things like Parkzone Sport Cub, Flyzone Sensei, FMS Super EZ Trainer, FT Storch, ect that I already own?

I think they got the combo right. Power, looks, agility, features and so on.

When I look at a plane and the more I test different planes I focus on the initial experience.
How did it come together and how did it fly.

I can't comment on any of the other birds because I've not flown them but when I built the Tundra I had no issues.
And you can see how well it behaves.

I also tend not to add too much replication in my fleet so in that sense if you have ton of high-wing planes adding the Tundra will not do much specially since all the wing spans are pretty close.

But then again it's green.

kacknor

Build another!
None other than Stuart Warne, Durafly's brand manager said a kit possible. He was guest on a recent podcast. OTOH, he also said in the initial announcement that the plane was going to release this past mid-summer. lol

I would have popped for the kit myself to save a few bucks, This is my first 'store bought' plane in over a year, save a couple of fair beat up Craigs List UMX I lucked into.

FedEx has it, will be here tomorrow. Assembly time!

JD

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
None other than Stuart Warne, Durafly's brand manager said a kit possible. He was guest on a recent podcast. OTOH, he also said in the initial announcement that the plane was going to release this past mid-summer. lol

I would have popped for the kit myself to save a few bucks, This is my first 'store bought' plane in over a year, save a couple of fair beat up Craigs List UMX I lucked into.

FedEx has it, will be here tomorrow. Assembly time!

JD

Well he posed the question didn't he.
It does make sense then you can put in the power plant you want.
That is how I bought my FunCub. Had crashed a big 60" Spitfire so I had the motor and esc on hand.