Edge 540 motor ?

Photon Phil

I'm building a FT Edge 530. I have a couple of older C power packs that came with a NTM 2826-1200 kv motor.Do you think that this motor will be Ok on the Edge?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Morgan

I think it might depend on the specific motor capabilities such as max current capability etc. Did you have a specific motor in mind?

DamoRC
Its a generic Chinese 2-3 s i believe I .Bought it from a frend so I dont have any specs.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@Morgan - It might do the job but i have a feeling it will be underpowered. But if your going to build the plane anyway, give it a shot. You can always try to get something more powerful later on.

DamoRC

Chuppster

Do you have a motor choice for "too much"?? (I have been looking for a Power Pack C+ motor that can use the same ESC...

I have mine on a PropDrive 2836 1200KV on 4s pulling 44 amps and I'd say it could still use a bit more power. I don't see how Andres was able to fly it like he was with a C-pack. Mine might be a bit heavy, I painted it.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I'm building a FT Edge 530. I have a couple of older C power packs that came with a NTM 2826-1200 kv motor.Do you think that this motor will be Ok on the Edge?
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Just a quick update to my original response. I have been flying mine with the NTM 2826 1200kv with 3S and love it but it is not powerful enough for 3D.

DamoRC

Just a quick update to my original response. I have been flying mine with the NTM 2826 1200kv with 3S and love it but it is not powerful enough for 3D.

DamoRC
Can I ask what prop you're using??
I found this review (
) and the thrust per amp seems quite a bit higher than the C Pack 2215/09. So much to understand.

So are you guys often using quad copter type motors in the FT planes?? Is there a real difference. Four of these motors seems like a crazy amount of thrust for a quad...

Chuppster

I found this review (
) and the thrust per amp seems quite a bit higher than the C Pack 2215/09. So much to understand.

So are you guys often using quad copter type motors in the FT planes?? Is there a real difference. Four of these motors seems like a crazy amount of thrust for a quad...

Quad motors are higher KV so you can use smaller props and have a smaller frame. They also are lighter weight and put out a ton of thrust for their mass. You can use these on a quad but it'll be bigger and more sluggish because there is more mass to move around.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I found this review (

I am using a 9x6 APC style prop I could probably get better thrust (hover capability) from a lower pitch prop.

Its hard to do head to head comparisons from different tests between motors. In my hands the NTM 2826 1200kV on 3S with a 9x6 prop provides ~22oz static thrust (~620 grams).
EDIT 17SEP18 - The previous statement is incorrect - the results I presented were for the 1000kV version of the motor and not the 1200kV version. Corrected data are presented in this post.

My Edge build is a little lighter than the standard (all up with 1600 mAh is ~25oz or 700 grams) but it is still a little heavier than the static thrust capability of the motor / prop combo so no hovering for me (at least not on 3S).

Not sure what C-pack specs you are using to do the thrust per amp comparison but looking at the following C-pack specs and my model weight, I should easily be able to hover with a C-pack and a 10 x 4.7 prop on 3S (I think I have static thrust numbers for this somewhere on the NTM 2826 motor just can't seem to find them right now.)

66P-159-GT2215-09-KV1180-01.jpg

I have built a couple of quads with the NTM 2826 1200kv motors (just to play around and learn with) and, as @Chuppster said, they were "bigger and more sluggish because there is more mass to move around" - kinda like me!

DamoRC

Last edited:

Chuppster

I found this review (

Can you answer some questions and I can try and help? I'm a Computer Engineer, so I learned quite a bit of electrical theory in school and now I'm learning how it's applied.
What are your power needs? Do you need it to hover, fly vertically indefinitely, or just do some scale flying?
What kind of battery are you using?
Are you limited to a 30A ESC or are you willing to get a bigger one?
What's your budget?

Can you answer some questions and I can try and help? I'm a Computer Engineer, so I learned quite a bit of electrical theory in school and now I'm learning how it's applied.
What are your power needs?
I am back in tot he hobby after being gone 30 years. My logical mind wants as much fun with as few parts as possible, so C Pack swappables is where I started. Storch and Mustang first. Next is Guinea Pig (this will be my favorite, and the reason why I came back) and ________. I am torn between Bloody Baron and Goblin. Remember, C Pack. Not sure if a Goblin could take a C Pack. Research for later...
Trainer. Warbird. Large high wing. Something small and fast.

Do you need it to hover, fly vertically indefinitely, or just do some scale flying?
I am not a 3D guy at all. Scale is the way for me. Indef vertical would be nice, but I can't see well enough past 300' so what's the point. Landings are an important part of my day at the field. Landing with power and rudder is a hard thing to master.

What kind of battery are you using?
I standardized on 3s so far. 2200 size seems like the sweet spot, but I have 1300, 1600, 2100, and 2500. I think paralleling 2 batt for the Guinea may be needed, but I hear it may be more dangerous when batts are not at the same voltage.

Are you limited to a 30A ESC or are you willing to get a bigger one?
I am not. I was hoping to standardize on 30a, but given my desires, a step or two up may be warranted.

What's your budget?
I have no desire to have the Cadillac of everything, I like the 40-60" size in the 1-2lb weight class. But I do not know where this journey will take me.... I do live in an area where wind is always present, therefore the smaller planes aren't as desirable.