Electrohub Tricopter Build

pugslypoo

So I just recently got the mutlirotor itch. This is my second attempt at building a Tricopter. I originally put together a Batbone but flew it promptly into a building destroying both front motor mounts... lesson learned:black_eyed:. So the Electrohub kit just came out and I thought I would give it a whirl. The new motor mount design seems to be really well thought out when it comes to crashes.
Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 10.58.25 AM.png
Mounting the motor back on the boom is a good concept all the way around. I have crashed several times and have to say I am very impressed with how these mounts hold up. The derline landing gear is great for crashing as well. I crash a lot...
Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 11.03.38 AM.png
I just used the tail from the Batbone as I had it laying around. There is plenty of clearance for movement as well even with it over the boom like this.
Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 11.03.51 AM.png
I am currently using the kk2 board but I would like to upgrade to something that supports gps in the future.
P and I tuning has been fairly straight forward and I have to say I am really impressed with how well this flies.
Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 11.04.05 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 11.04.18 AM.png

Specs

Frame:
Electrohub kit
Tail:
FT Tilt motor mount
Flight Controller:
KK2
Motors:
3x ktm prop drive 28-26 1200kv motors
ESC:
3x afro 20amp esc, preflashed simonk
Props:
8045 sf
Battery:
3cell 2200 mah 40-50c Turnigy.

I am enjoying this so far and look forward to trying some fpv hopefully someday. I have been practicing "Walking the dog" a lot with this and I can already see "flights" improving in duration and enjoyability.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
Very nice.

How long are the booms? Did you solder the ESCs and battery connectors to the ElectroHub, or go with some other power distribution method?

DDSFlyer

Looks good. I want to swap out my any copter hex with the electro hub someday and add aluminum arms. Quick question, how is your KK board mounted? I think they recommend not using metal screws to mount it, instead using nylon ones so as to not short out something on the board

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
. . . or not use screws at all, because you need some vibration dampening between the board and the hub.

Double-sided foam mounting tape is pretty common for this, and will cut out a lot of the vibrations on the airframe.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I still find the "KK board packaging foam with double-headed zip-ties" the best KK board mounting method. I just can't find the pictures in the depth of the forums at the moment.

pugslypoo

Looks good. I want to swap out my any copter hex with the electro hub someday and add aluminum arms. Quick question, how is your KK board mounted? I think they recommend not using metal screws to mount it, instead using nylon ones so as to not short out something on the board

I used a nylon screw set I found on amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Male-Female-Spacers-Assortment-Stand-off-Accessories/dp/B00JP40UHA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407965342&sr=8-1&keywords=nylon+screw+kit

Vibration doesn't seem to be an issue using wooden booms. I originally mounted using double sided foam tape but found this a bit more to my preference. Hope that helps. Also the booms are 11in.

pugslypoo

The thing I really like the most about this build is the durability, this thing explodes and then goes right back together. It's back in the air within 30min of what most would see as a catastrophic crash. I think the platform has helped me to grow very quickly as a pilot because you can make a lot of mistakes with very little emotional $$ remorse.

Also being able to solder the esc's to the board and hide them away off the booms saves a ton of time, $$, and hassle. If you are itching for power distribution diy style this thing rocks. As a newby it has been painfully easy to get flying thanks to some quality engineering by flitetest and whomever else that has helped push this concept. Very greatfull to say the least.

Last edited: