FAA Drone Registration goes live

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Nope no hook line nor sinker, nor boat with fishermen or beer. I form my own opinions based on my thoughts and radical ideas.

If anyone goes on youtube and puts in anything multirotor related it's never good. You got people flying in cities or through protected air space. Or my personal favorite flying into buildings and watching it tumble down and crash. And you don't have to hear about the bazillion other people doing the right thing. Mainly due to all the other dumb people far over shadowing the people doing the right thing.

A few months back one of said dumb people decide it would be cute to fly their quad over the group. He over corrected and fly into my face. Now my left hand has some pretty sweet scars and I lost some motor function. So yah I am a bit bitter to dumb people. Now imagine if that guy was not flying next to us (operating). And he was some distance away I would have to pay all those medical bills. And I would have been screwed and no one would have came forward at all.

So yah I would like some measure of accountability. And having your AMA number on a aircraft does not justify you can fly as much as the back assward FAA registration. But I doubt the AMA will give out your personal info to any Joe shome. I could be wrong, since I never had to track someone down via AMA.

And as far as my comment about planes and helis, I never see them other then at feilds. Where as the evil black multirotorscreen I had a great close encounter a weekish ago. Looked like a 500 size, just going down the street at a good rate of speed. Kinda odd to be stopped at a stopsign and a multirotor has right of way. Sign of the times I guess?

Sorry to hear about your injury. My question is if the guy was dumb enough to fly over a crowd, would he have bothered to register with the FAA in the first place? People buying quads from online retailers aren't going to even know to register. If I wasn't a member of this forum I wouldn't know that I had to register my fixed wing aircraft too. Again this registration thing isn't going to even help solve the issue. It is a "gotcha" measure put in place as a way of saying "look we've done something and now you're safe". When nothing changes the FAA will have to move to step 2. Which is probably either licensing or an all out ban of flying in parks and any other public property.

Here is something. If someone was visiting the USA for example to go to Jo Nail (sp?) and took thier model aircraft. How would you register it? As the owner would probably not have an US postal address.

Last edited:

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Here is something. If someone was visiting the USA for example to go to Jo Nail (sp?) and took thier model aircraft. How would you register it? As the owner would probably not have an US postal address.

Simple answer you don't. The way the FAA's rules^threats are right now you won't be able to fly it either :(

In fact unless you can borrow someone's plane to fly that IS registered and their certificate you will be grounded young man :(:(

KuManChu

The thought of this registration process really sickens me. I was up most of the night thinking more about it, and it angered me more and more. I thought that we lived in the land of the free and where you are innocent until proven guilty! Through this registration process, I feel like they are putting serial numbers on us as if we are inmates that have already committed crimes. With this new process my modeling RC aircraft requires more accountability than the firearms I own. Branding us and labeling us in society like this, in my mind is ridiculous! They are saying they are promoting safety, however I believe they are scaring us to learn the law with the outrageous $27,500 fines. This is not the way to establish safety or learn laws. It will scare people out of the hobby. Who wants to jump through these kind of hoops for a hobby? I am also surprised how many people (liberals) are so quick to want to be regulated like sheep and let the government or FAA take care of us! Even though the RC modeling community was growing, we are still a minority group with not much voice in the grand scheme of this country. Therefore we will be taken advantage of in this manner and I think it will continue to get worse before it ever gets better. These knee jerk reactions seem to be the way of the future.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
The thought of this registration process really sickens me. I was up most of the night thinking more about it, and it angered me more and more. I thought that we lived in the land of the free and where you are innocent until proven guilty! Through this registration process, I feel like they are putting serial numbers on us as if we are inmates that have already committed crimes. With this new process my modeling RC aircraft requires more accountability than the firearms I own. Branding us and labeling us in society like this, in my mind is ridiculous! They are saying they are promoting safety, however I believe they are scaring us to learn the law with the outrageous $27,500 fines. This is not the way to establish safety or learn laws. It will scare people out of the hobby. Who wants to jump through these kind of hoops for a hobby? I am also surprised how many people (liberals) are so quick to want to be regulated like sheep and let the government or FAA take care of us! Even though the RC modeling community was growing, we are still a minority group with not much voice in the grand scheme of this country. Therefore we will be taken advantage of in this manner and I think it will continue to get worse before it ever gets better. These knee jerk reactions seem to be the way of the future.

Don't lose sleep over this... it isn't worth your health. This hobby was supposed to be recreational and fun. Right now the FAA is overstepping their authority and a lot of good people are suffering because of it. Hopefully enough people cry out that congress will whack the FAA with a newspaper again and tell them to sit....like a dog...a very disobedient dog.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I've just sent a rather peeved letter to the FAA sending a few of my points as to why I want them to take back pucking ridiculous rules. I'll post it here if they reply.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
We need a chant like the anti-war protesters in the 60's.

"Say Hey FAA Don't Regulate My Hobby Away!"

BobK

Banned
I also spent most of the night, reading this, reading the registration thing, reading the FAA facebook page.

My question is..who do you all feel is to blame for this? The FAA? The airline pilots? Who exactly?

I blame..
1. A-hole irresponsible R/C pilots mainly, these are the ones who have made the registering thing even exist. I am not saying anyone here is included in this, I honestly feel these people would never join a forum group like this because they really don't give a damn about the hobby..most of them are flying because of several reasons. Mommy and daddy bought them a toy that they are too immature to know how to operate correctly I feel is a huge one.

2. (I am going to get flamed for this but try to hear me out) HobbyKing and other places have brought so much cheap junk into this hobby that anyone can go out and buy some crap and fly. I realize that cheaper motors/esc's/everything is something we all love but it also has had a huge negative effect on our hobby, it has also killed the "good" LHS's.

3. The terrorist bs..sadly everyone is frankly to put it honestly, a little bit freaked out by it, even myself.

There are more reasons.

An example of #1 and #2 is some history about myself. I am 42, I started this hobby building peanut scale rubber band planes, I built my first R/C plane when I was 10..a Duraplane which I busted my butt working on a farm to afford to buy everything needed to fly it. I respected the cost of everything so much back then that I was scared to fly it until two years later..I had no teacher. I did my research and bought the plane I felt suited me, a brand new OS LA .45, a radio package (Airtronics 4 chan at the time), and everything else I needed..nothing top of the line..it was what I could afford.

I flew the crap out of that plane for 4 years, crashed and fixed and finally flew and I flew that plane until I was sure I could handle a new expensive plane..I am proud of that and because of that I would never put my hobby in a stupid situation. Right now I have a built unflown (because of bad weather) Bushwhacker, my motor package is an AXI 2212/34 with a Castle Creations Ph10 ESC..some of you might remember how much those items cost back when they were the only thing on the market..I sure do. Today, I can't even sell most of my equipment because it is worth absolutely nothing because of how cheap things have become. I have a Tower Trainer 40 with an AXI 2826/12 that goes vertical with my Thunder Power 4s 3300 packs, those packs are dated 06/2007 and still hold as much charge now as they did when new. Why do I use my 10 year old motors and ESC's? Because they work and work well, and they are good quality that lasts.

My point is..I respect my hobby, I have worked hard for what I have, and I have taken care of my equipment. Everything I have is outdated, but I can outfly most of the general population of R/C pilots out there these days. These days I hate the fact that you can buy a Quadcopter at a freaking gas station..I think that is stupid and that is the biggest killer of this hobby.

Example: Soccer mom stops for gas sees quadcopter thinks it is a cute birthday gift for little Timmy..little Timmy has no respect for this device mommy bought him because little Timmy didn't have to buy it. Little Timmy decides to make poor judgements of where he flies his new toy completely disrespecting any kind of common sense unspoken rules. FAA has a problem now..too many little Timmy's in this world..and that has ruined it for us all.

Frankly I wouldn't want to be someone on the FAA side trying to figure this out, I am not saying I am for the registration in fact I am not at all, but seriously I do see where there is a problem. Think about how many cheap crap R/C products are going to be in the air in just a few days.

One more thing, the last police officer I encountered was when I was flying a GWS Formosa that did close to 100mph through the goalposts at the local middle school athletic field. Should I have been flying it there..maybe not the best place but there was no one else around. A squad car pulled in and it crossed my mind I might be in trouble so I just kept flying and flew the battery out and landed, then went and talked to him. He was very impressed with my plane and said have fun and left..those days are sadly over.

Flame away..

-Bob

BobK

Banned
A huge example is the R/C truck/girl video RAM posted..is that a bike track or R/C track? Which belongs there? Obviously not both..looks to me like my little Timmy has an R/C truck.

-Bob

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I also spent most of the night, reading this, reading the registration thing, reading the FAA facebook page.

My question is..who do you all feel is to blame for this? The FAA? The airline pilots? Who exactly?

I blame..
1. A-hole irresponsible R/C pilots mainly, these are the ones who have made the registering thing even exist. I am not saying anyone here is included in this, I honestly feel these people would never join a forum group like this because they really don't give a damn about the hobby..most of them are flying because of several reasons. Mommy and daddy bought them a toy that they are too immature to know how to operate correctly I feel is a huge one.

2. (I am going to get flamed for this but try to hear me out) HobbyKing and other places have brought so much cheap junk into this hobby that anyone can go out and buy some crap and fly. I realize that cheaper motors/esc's/everything is something we all love but it also has had a huge negative effect on our hobby, it has also killed the "good" LHS's.

3. The terrorist bs..sadly everyone is frankly to put it honestly, a little bit freaked out by it, even myself.

There are more reasons.

An example of #1 and #2 is some history about myself. I am 42, I started this hobby building peanut scale rubber band planes, I built my first R/C plane when I was 10..a Duraplane which I busted my butt working on a farm to afford to buy everything needed to fly it. I respected the cost of everything so much back then that I was scared to fly it until two years later..I had no teacher. I did my research and bought the plane I felt suited me, a brand new OS LA .45, a radio package (Airtronics 4 chan at the time), and everything else I needed..nothing top of the line..it was what I could afford.

I flew the crap out of that plane for 4 years, crashed and fixed and finally flew and I flew that plane until I was sure I could handle a new expensive plane..I am proud of that and because of that I would never put my hobby in a stupid situation. Right now I have a built unflown (because of bad weather) Bushwhacker, my motor package is an AXI 2212/34 with a Castle Creations Ph10 ESC..some of you might remember how much those items cost back when they were the only thing on the market..I sure do. Today, I can't even sell most of my equipment because it is worth absolutely nothing because of how cheap things have become. I have a Tower Trainer 40 with an AXI 2826/12 that goes vertical with my Thunder Power 4s 3300 packs, those packs are dated 06/2007 and still hold as much charge now as they did when new. Why do I use my 10 year old motors and ESC's? Because they work and work well, and they are good quality that lasts.

My point is..I respect my hobby, I have worked hard for what I have, and I have taken care of my equipment. Everything I have is outdated, but I can outfly most of the general population of R/C pilots out there these days. These days I hate the fact that you can buy a Quadcopter at a freaking gas station..I think that is stupid and that is the biggest killer of this hobby.

Example: Soccer mom stops for gas sees quadcopter thinks it is a cute birthday gift for little Timmy..little Timmy has no respect for this device mommy bought him because little Timmy didn't have to buy it. Little Timmy decides to make poor judgements of where he flies his new toy completely disrespecting any kind of common sense unspoken rules. FAA has a problem now..too many little Timmy's in this world..and that has ruined it for us all.

Frankly I wouldn't want to be someone on the FAA side trying to figure this out, I am not saying I am for the registration in fact I am not at all, but seriously I do see where there is a problem. Think about how many cheap crap R/C products are going to be in the air in just a few days.

One more thing, the last police officer I encountered was when I was flying a GWS Formosa that did close to 100mph through the goalposts at the local middle school athletic field. Should I have been flying it there..maybe not the best place but there was no one else around. A squad car pulled in and it crossed my mind I might be in trouble so I just kept flying and flew the battery out and landed, then went and talked to him. He was very impressed with my plane and said have fun and left..those days are sadly over.

Flame away..

-Bob

No flame but I think the FAA's best tactic is to get us blaming instead of coming together to fight this.

The FAA is doing the same thing DHS is. They are making a huge deal out of something small to convince the American people to turn on each other and give another 3 letter bureaucracy more power over the people.

Blame is not the answer.

Education, and a solid, wall of resistance is. :)

BobK

Banned
I would replace #2 with media hype because the quad "found" in DC was not cheap junk.

Justin

Maybe it was high end, but obviously the pilots judgement was extremely poor..common sense isn't earned by what you can afford.

I wasn't exactly trying to blame anyone, my point is I believe the amount of respect that this hobby deserves wether it be in taking care of equipment and making sure it is safe to use or choosing where is an appropriate place to use it isn't up to the standard it could be. Frankly I don't care how 'high end' or expensive your equipment is it doesn't give anyone any more common sense.

Would I be stupid enough to fly my 'drone' near the White House? No..and obviously the pilot wasn't skilled enough to keep it from landing on the lawn. I do blame him for that..that little stunt is exactly what the FAA is having to deal with, and idiots like that are why I am in the position to have to register my equipment. Of course the media is going to cover it.

My words to that pilot would be Thanks A-hole.

-Bob

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
BobK,

I understand the frustration, but just think about this.......without places like HK, FT may not even exist. It sure would not have become what it is today. As much as we love to hate HK, I believe it has done great things for this hobby. It has opened up the doors to people who, otherwise, may not have had the opportunity to enjoy/partake in our great hobby.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Remember: The FAA wants control from the ground up.

Not their department, not their concern... but for the love of all that is holy don't show that to the DOT... soon we'll have to register RC cars and put tiny license plates on them :mad:

BobK,

I understand the frustration, but just think about this.......without places like HK, FT may not even exist. It sure would not have become what it is today. As much as we love to hate HK, I believe it has done great things for this hobby. It has opened up the doors to people who, otherwise, may not have had the opportunity to enjoy/partake in our great hobby.
Yup. I got my first multirotor from HK. I got many, many things from them over the years, and yes, some of it might not work, but the overall amount of money I've saved shopping with them is probably worth more than quite a few of my models combined!

Besides, HobbyKing sponsored Flite Test for the first two years of the show!

BobK

Banned
BobK,

I completely agree and I love it also, I love the fact that if my $180 AXI ever blows I can replace it with a $30 motor..if my $130 batts fry I can spend $25 and get new ones. I should have mentioned that there are good points, what I feel is that in a way it has drawn the wrong type of people into the hobby. One point I tried to make was the fact that everything was so expensive when I started and for many years after that a person had to be really dedicated to the hobby to really succeed in it. I feel the cheaper prices are great for those that are really in to this, but I also feel that it has drawn in some that are using things wrongly and those..lets say few..have and are making things go badly for the rest of us.

I fully support FT and the cheaper prices to get people in to it..heck I am leaving my prized scratch-built expensive planes on the shelf and flying $2 ones and love it. But, the cheaper cost also seems to me to be a reason for some to take more and more stupid risks that in turn make the rest of us look bad.

I am not saying I am right, just my opinions of course. I hate the registration thing, but I do see a problem. I don't have a better answer.

-Bob

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Yup. I got my first multirotor from HK. I got many, many things from them over the years, and yes, some of it might not work, but the overall amount of money I've saved shopping with them is probably worth more than quite a few of my models combined!

Besides, HobbyKing sponsored Flite Test for the first two years of the show!

I agree. The ONLY reason I got back into the hobby was Hobbyking and FliteTest. I got out of the hobby because buying, building and crashing balsa models was prohibitively expensive. I was a bag of nerves anytime I flew which if anything made me more dangerous. With modern simulators and dirt cheap home brew models now I can practice actually flying in a safe manner instead of just worrying about just keeping the darn thing airborne. It is actually fun! If I crash an FT flyer it doesn't explode into a million pieces...most of the time I replace the prop and bend some foam back. I am no longer having to fly a 5lb plane to practice anymore, I can toss up a home built FT flyer and fly it anywhere from my tiny back yard to a huge corn field. Or boot up RealFlight and fly all day long.

Maybe it was high end, but obviously the pilots judgement was extremely poor..common sense isn't earned by what you can afford.

I wasn't exactly trying to blame anyone, my point is I believe the amount of respect that this hobby deserves wether it be in taking care of equipment and making sure it is safe to use or choosing where is an appropriate place to use it isn't up to the standard it could be. Frankly I don't care how 'high end' or expensive your equipment is it doesn't give anyone any more common sense.

Would I be stupid enough to fly my 'drone' near the White House? No..and obviously the pilot wasn't skilled enough to keep it from landing on the lawn. I do blame him for that..that little stunt is exactly what the FAA is having to deal with, and idiots like that are why I am in the position to have to register my equipment. Of course the media is going to cover it.

My words to that pilot would be Thanks A-hole.

-Bob

Actually, I believe it was his friend's, and they were both drunk.

Just shows that even people who spend a lot of money on these things (as much as >3K for a DJI Inspire!) do stupid things. In this case, it wasn't flying in an inappropriate location; it was flying while being under the influence.