FF2017-Int-Racers: Laird Super Solution

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Ready to build the plans proof Super Solution. 70+ pieces

51042.jpeg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Lookin forward to the build video. That turned out nice. Wouldn't think it would require 70 pieces though but I guess if you want the detail ya gotta have em. Will be cool seeing all these contest builds together at Flite Fest.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Wouldn't think it would require 70 pieces though but I guess if you want the detail ya gotta have em.

Yes, There are 24 pieces for the wheelpants and 10 for the cowling. I suppose they could be made out of block foam, but I wanted to keep it all foam board. This is only the foam board pieces, and does not include the landing gear, firewall, ect.

Tim

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Beta Plans Vrs 1.0 I will make minor corrections after I do the plans proof build.

Added to first post.

Attachments

• Super Solution wings.pdf
    24.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Super Solution fuselage.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Super Solution tail.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 6
  • Super Solution wheel pants.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Updated Plans

Vrs. 2.0

Attachments

• Super Solution wheel pants.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Super Solution Tail.pdf
    25.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Super Solution Wings.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 6
  • Super Solution fuselage Skin.pdf
    6.1 KB · Views: 7

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Fold the parts up till it looks like a plane, glue it so it stays that shape, screw in a motor and some electronics and toss it in the air.

This statement and this thread will have to suffice as my build instructions till I finish the Build Video..... Coming soon! :D

CaptBill

Wing tip blend

I'm very I.pressed with how you and others here have tapered the top and bottom FB to bring the outer ends of the wing tips to a tapered end.
Can you or another of the scale build master's point me to a tutorial of some sort showing the.process to obtain this profile?

Thanks
Bill

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I'm very I.pressed with how you and others here have tapered the top and bottom FB to bring the outer ends of the wing tips to a tapered end.
Can you or another of the scale build master's point me to a tutorial of some sort showing the.process to obtain this profile?

Thanks
Bill

NerdNic's speed wings use this technique and he has really good build videos.

http://www.nerdnic.com/

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Minor Plans adjustment .... Changed on first post.

Filming complete on build video, now to finish the editing.

Tim

abieex

Mentor
Aviator, Instead of sitting this out I'm very tempted to build your Laird. Are the plans on page 1 the final set? I'm not sure of the parameters but is it too late to enter? I love biplanes and this one has me inspired. I'm considering coupling the rudder with ailerons to reduce the stress while racing so my thumbs don't get confused! Motor/esc size?

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Aviator, Instead of sitting this out I'm very tempted to build your Laird. Are the plans on page 1 the final set? I'm not sure of the parameters but is it too late to enter? I love biplanes and this one has me inspired. I'm considering coupling the rudder with ailerons to reduce the stress while racing so my thumbs don't get confused! Motor/esc size?

Hi Abieex.
I would be honored if you built the Super Solution. Anyone can build a Golden Age Racer from the contestants plans and fly it at FF. The only time line now is is the event itself. I'm using the motor and 50 amp speed controller out of my Dynam Pitts Biplane. The motor is a Dynam 3720-650kV Brushless Motor. I currently run a 4 cell 2200 battery with it. I double checked the plans and saw that one of the sheets didn't get copied in color. I will fix that today. Otherwise they are ready to build from. Also , I will have the build video attached to the first post soon. ( I am having some editing issues. ) If you do decide to build the Super Solution it will be a big help to watch the build. There is a fair amount of sanding / trimming involved, but nothing super complicated.

Tim

abieex

Mentor
Thanks Tim, I'll build it! Looking forward to the video. I'll have to tile the plans but I can start by getting parts cut. Thanks

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very happy to see our first racing 'team pilot' build kicking off! :applause:

I almost had one hooked, but he slipped away. :p