First build design

Fisk

Hello, my name is Daniel. I am a senior in high school, and I've been off and on about model aviation for the past 4 years. I have 5 aircraft (that I don't fly all that much).
Recently, I got an itch to get back into model aircraft because of a school project, and so I decided that I want to scratch build for the first time. Not only that, but I want it to be a design of my own. I've started designing a 12.5% Kitfox 7, so about a 4 foot wingspan. As of posting this I've only gotten the tail of the plane designed, and I'm not sure how long the rest will take me.

Here's what i'm using to design the parts:
Flattemplate.png

And here's what I've designed so far (not much):
Capture.PNG
I plan to build it with foamboard, and I'm wondering 1: If that's a good idea and 2: If so, what kind I should use.
What do you guys think?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
In the US, I’d recommend Adams FB from the Dollar Tree or Ross from Walmart, there are minor differences between the two both work equally well for me. Don’t use Elmers, it’s much too heavy.

In the EU, depron covered with, packing tape, laminate film or some kind of paper.

FB is a great choice, it’s cheap,easy to work with & builds fast. If this is your first build, you would be better of to build a FT kit. When you master the process, then build your own design.

Fisk

In the US, I’d recommend Adams FB from the Dollar Tree or Ross from Walmart, there are minor differences between the two both work equally well for me. Don’t use Elmers, it’s much too heavy.

In the EU, depron covered with, packing tape, laminate film or some kind of paper.

FB is a great choice, it’s cheap,easy to work with & builds fast. If this is your first build, you would be better of to build a FT kit. When you master the process, then build your own design.
Thank you! I would go with a FT kit, but I really like the challenge of designing my own plane. If it ends up being a massive failure (which I realize is likely), I'm gonna get an FT kit and revisit the Kitfox later. I just really want to try this.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Thank you! I would go with a FT kit, but I really like the challenge of designing my own plane. If it ends up being a massive failure (which I realize is likely), I'm gonna get an FT kit and revisit the Kitfox later. I just really want to try this.

So when you this will be your first scratch build. Do you mean you’ve never built anything, only fly RTF or ARF’s. Or do you mean, built kits & now building your own design?

Ventus

Keep the design as simple as you can (no unnecessary bells and whistles) , and I'd recommend watching some FT build videos of similar planes (like FT Explorer, there's also a Super Cub I think), they are very well done for and very clearly demonstrate some pretty cool techniques that you can (and probably should) incorporate into your design.

And whether your design works or not, you will learn a lot, so by all means go for it ;)

Fisk

Keep the design as simple as you can (no unnecessary bells and whistles) , and I'd recommend watching some FT build videos of similar planes (like FT Explorer, there's also a Super Cub I think), they are very well done for and very clearly demonstrate some pretty cool techniques that you can (and probably should) incorporate into your design.

And whether your design works or not, you will learn a lot, so by all means go for it ;)
I really love watching the Flite Test build videos, they're very calming somehow. i'm gonna try designing the Kitfox to use those techniques.

Fisk

So when you this will be your first scratch build. Do you mean you’ve never built anything, only fly RTF or ARF’s. Or do you mean, built kits & now building your own design?
I only have RTF/ARF aircraft, this is my first scratch build.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I only have RTF/ARF aircraft, this is my first scratch build.

Scratch build is a great skill to have, in fact it’s all I do. I don’t like store bought planes. It’s very easy to build an unwanted twist into FB wing. Like @ventus said go for it.