First FPV Setup- Advice You Wish You Had

Ace2317

So I'm (im)patiently waiting for the arrival of my new Christmas present (which seems to be a recurring theme among the forums lately) in the form of FatShark Predators and ImmersionRC circular polarized antennas. I'll be putting my setup on a Bat Bone with a KK 2.1.5 controller board and recording with a GoPro 3 White, while flying through the included board camera.

My question: What are the mistakes you would've liked to know about ahead of time? Setup, first flight, mounting cameras, etc.?

Fern-Fox

1st off, On one of my first mistakes with the polarized antennas was when I was flying my tricopter very fast in a field, I flew under a tree and smashed into a branch ripping the antenna off because my Tx was on the front of my tri. Keep your antenna back on your multirotor and make sure to not fly under tree branches very fast.

Also make sure you never power up your video tx without the antenna on.

On the top of your fatsharks there is a little button that goes in 4 different directions, you can click them to change the brightness and contrast. I usually keep mine kind of high for when im flying under dark forests and such.

MT Alex

I would strongly recommend getting an SMA extension cable to go between your VTX and your antenna, that way the stress put on your antenna when you wreck isn't directly transferred to your delicate VTX. I also got an SMA right angle connector to put on my goggles so you don't have to worry about bending your antenna up in the sharp goofy angle that never seems to say put.

They are available from many vendors, these are just examples of what I'm referring to:
http://www.getfpv.com/accessories-7...egree-sma-male-to-sma-female-rg316-cable.html
http://www.getfpv.com/90-degree-male-to-female-sma-connector.html

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I haven't needed it on my 450 sized electro hub tricopter, but I suspect I may need to build or buy a lc filter for the vtx i plan to use with my 250 sized quad I'm working on.

Samick

I would strongly recommend getting an SMA extension cable to go between your VTX and your antenna, that way the stress put on your antenna when you wreck isn't directly transferred to your delicate VTX. I also got an SMA right angle connector to put on my goggles so you don't have to worry about bending your antenna up in the sharp goofy angle that never seems to say put.

They are available from many vendors, these are just examples of what I'm referring to:
http://www.getfpv.com/accessories-7...egree-sma-male-to-sma-female-rg316-cable.html
http://www.getfpv.com/90-degree-male-to-female-sma-connector.html

the extention cable isn't a bad idea. what i was simply wrap a rubber band around a boom to hold on my video transmitter. in the event that i crash and land on my back, the transmitter and antenna simply mover out of the way. (i'm looking for picture now)

edit: can't upload...

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I would strongly recommend getting an SMA extension cable to go between your VTX and your antenna

Is it possible to find those at local home improvement stores like Lowes or Home Depot? That would be easier for me than ordering online.

Ace2317

I do like the idea of the rubber band. I love a good controlled break. Nothing better than things going wrong in the best way.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Is it possible to find those at local home improvement stores like Lowes or Home Depot? That would be easier for me than ordering online.

Unlikely. The only coax I have ever seen at a hardware store is cable TV style--RG6, for example.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
On the top of your fatsharks there is a little button that goes in 4 different directions, you can click them to change the brightness and contrast. I usually keep mine kind of high for when im flying under dark forests and such.

This is an important tip! I find that the contrast adjustment is basically useless--just keep contrast at max all the time. But the brightness is VERY IMPORTANT. If the brightness setting is not right, the ground will be completely shadowed and I won't be able to see it. I used to think my camera had terrible dynamic range, but it was just that I had my goggles turned down too low. I tweak the brightness on my goggles before each flight, to best match the lighting conditions at the time.

Raptortech

Foam Addict
I wish someone had told me to start with 5.8GHz. I bought 1.2 and had to get a UHF to do anything. But it seems like you're all set on that point! Make sure you get your voltage to your board-cam correct. Some take 5V, some take 12.

Ace2317

I wish someone had told me to start with 5.8GHz. I bought 1.2 and had to get a UHF to do anything. But it seems like you're all set on that point! Make sure you get your voltage to your board-cam correct. Some take 5V, some take 12.

Mine says 5V. That means it can just be powered off the battery through the VTX, right?

Ace2317

Awesome! My stuff was in Texas yesterday so hopefully it'll be here soon! Although the weather is terrible so it's not going to do me a whole lot of good right now.

SteevyT

Turns out low pass filters aren't perfect. 2.4 control with 1.3 video was not a good idea, I get control interference even with a filter on the video transmitter.

Raptortech

Foam Addict
Turns out low pass filters aren't perfect. 2.4 control with 1.3 video was not a good idea, I get control interference even with a filter on the video transmitter.

I've had the same issue. I've read that notch filters do a better job. Also, there was some talk of saw filters. I don't really know how they perform, thought.