• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

First real scare getting my PPL

IcedStorm777

So I am 15 almost 16 and have about 25 logged hours. I will be soloing in early December. Today we were out in the training grounds of my area practicing stalls. I fly Cessna 150s primarily. I went up to do a power off stall at about 2500ft AGL, I had no rudder inputs and neither did my instructor. Out of the blue we entered a spin and for a solid few seconds all I could see out of the windshield was ground. Fortunately, my instructor has tons of hours in military, GA, and commercial (pretty sure close to 15,000hr) and he got us out. I have always heard of what to do in a spin (idle, full opposite rudder and push nose down) but it REALLY took me by surprise and I don't know if I could have gotten out without him in the plane. I was very lucky that we got out of it and that we were at altitude. Neither of us could figure out why it so suddenly entered a spin when there was no rudder inputs or anything like that. Anyway, just wanted to tell the story so yup, there you go!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I always wondered while practicing stalls when that would happen, but luckily it never happened to me. It could have been a tail gust of wind or wind shear, you will never know, but glad you guys got out of it ok as at 2500 AGL you probably lost around 700-1000 feet which doesn't leave much for decisions or reaction time. I know when I was solo practicing stalls I would bring the 162 up to around 3500AGL or higher for piece of mind and extra safety cushion. Your going to have a great time flying solo, I did, as you really get to become one with the plane up there alone...

IcedStorm777

I always wondered while practicing stalls when that would happen, but luckily it never happened to me. It could have been a tail gust of wind or wind shear, you will never know, but glad you guys got out of it ok as at 2500 AGL you probably lost around 700-1000 feet which doesn't leave much for decisions or reaction time. I know when I was solo practicing stalls I would bring the 162 up to around 3500AGL or higher for piece of mind and extra safety cushion. Your going to have a great time flying solo, I did, as you really get to become one with the plane up there alone...

Yup! I am very excited to solo, just about two weeks until I am 16 so I can solo.

Good luck, have fun, and like @Cookie said, keep us posted!

I definitely will, the past flight I did we were just in the pattern as we only had about 30min due to a scheduling error, during those 30min the instructor touched the controls once when he showed me something, got up, flew 5 patterns without any help from my instructor (best landings I have ever done so that's awesome). Then he demoed power off emergency landings and on my first try I succeeded so yay!!!

"Corpse"

So I am 15 almost 16 and have about 25 logged hours. I will be soloing in early December. Today we were out in the training grounds of my area practicing stalls. I fly Cessna 150s primarily. I went up to do a power off stall at about 2500ft AGL, I had no rudder inputs and neither did my instructor. Out of the blue we entered a spin and for a solid few seconds all I could see out of the windshield was ground. Fortunately, my instructor has tons of hours in military, GA, and commercial (pretty sure close to 15,000hr) and he got us out. I have always heard of what to do in a spin (idle, full opposite rudder and push nose down) but it REALLY took me by surprise and I don't know if I could have gotten out without him in the plane. I was very lucky that we got out of it and that we were at altitude. Neither of us could figure out why it so suddenly entered a spin when there was no rudder inputs or anything like that. Anyway, just wanted to tell the story so yup, there you go!
Spins are SO much fun, but out of the blue it takes ya' by surprise! I fly gliders so I'm required to have spin training before I solo. Keep it coordinated!

Good luck on your solo! Mine was great.

Spins are SO much fun, but out of the blue it takes ya' by surprise! I fly gliders so I'm required to have spin training before I solo. Keep it coordinated!

Good luck on your solo! Mine was great.
In hindsight it was pretty enjoyable but just right out of the cuff it was a jumpscare like no other!! Oh awesome!! Yup, I turn 16 in a week so fingers crossed!