Fix dogfigting plane or buy a Bloody Wonder kit?

cartrouble2k

Hey everyone - new to this forum.

Yesterday, I just got a 33" Flightline P-51 Mustang to use in streamer combat. Today, of course, my friend and I had a mid-air and demolished our planes :)

Fortunately the 2836-950kV brushless outrunner motor and 30A ESC survived unharmed. The motor is designed for either 3S or 4S depending on preference. Receiver and servos are fine.

I am thinking about just sticking the motor and ESC in a Bloody Wonder. Is there any reason the motor wouldn't fit or attach? I can either spend $29 on a Bloody Wonder kit or $29 on a new wing for the P-51 :) May need to do something about that nose too...

Thanks a lot!

BONUS - crash pic attached. In case you're wondering, my wing chopped the tail off of my friend's plane and it nosed straight in and demolished the motor. So I won as far as I'm concerned.

Attachments

• 63805002233__E6C3C45B-0047-4841-B32E-95D6619675E9.JPG
    63805002233__E6C3C45B-0047-4841-B32E-95D6619675E9.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Pieliker96

Elite member
Hey everyone - new to this forum.

Yesterday, I just got a 33" Flightline P-51 Mustang to use in streamer combat. Today, of course, my friend and I had a mid-air and demolished our planes :)

Fortunately the 2836-950kV brushless outrunner motor and 30A ESC survived unharmed. The motor is designed for either 3S or 4S depending on preference. Receiver and servos are fine.

I am thinking about just sticking the motor and ESC in a Bloody Wonder. Is there any reason the motor wouldn't fit or attach? I can either spend $29 on a Bloody Wonder kit or $29 on a new wing for the P-51 :) May need to do something about that nose too...

Thanks a lot!

BONUS - crash pic attached. In case you're wondering, my wing chopped the tail off of my friend's plane and it nosed straight in and demolished the motor. So I won as far as I'm concerned.

It might be worth it to at least try and put the '51 back together. EPO foam can be re-expanded and de-crunchified with the application of some hot water. Fill in the gaps with some spackle or tape, stick parts together with an EPO-safe glue and some toothpicks. It would look pretty sick with the battle damage and some heavy weathering effects IMO. And you could fly it like you stole it - not that you haven't already ;)

That powertrain setup is pretty much ideal for a Bloody Wonder. If the motor on the '51 is mounted behind the firewall (shaft sticks through the firewall) and you don't have an adapter (usually comes w/ the motor) to move the prop shaft to the other side, you'll have to put the motor inside the fuselage as opposed to having it exposed to open airflow. The mounting holes on the FT firewall fit most common motor sizes, in the event they don't fit yours you can always drill your own holes. Make sure to give the ESC good access to cooling air if you're going to be running 4 cell as the powertrain is probably getting close to the ESC's current limit at that voltage.

Piotrsko

Master member
Nothing that a bit of thought, glue and tape wont fix. Maybe some toothpicks or bbq skewers. If you're flying contact combat, expect this to happen. I knew people who would repair this between events and fly as soon as the epoxy B staged.

danskis

Master member
I'd fix the Mustang then go to Dollar Tree and buy some foamboard. The Bloody Baron is a hoot to fly and as said above your powertrain will work great and its really easy to build.

cartrouble2k

Yeah def want to fix the 'stang if I can! So the wing and nose well def glue right back on with some tape a skewers to reinforce it, but I did notice one issue here with the aileron - this piece is missing and it's where the servo horn attaches.

How would you go about fixing this? I could just glue a piece of foam board on there I guess. Or lock up that aileron and fly with just one functioning aileron. What could go wrong? :)

Attachments

• IMG_4999.JPG
    IMG_4999.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
Yeah def want to fix the 'stang if I can! So the wing and nose well def glue right back on with some tape a skewers to reinforce it, but I did notice one issue here with the aileron - this piece is missing and it's where the servo horn attaches.

How would you go about fixing this? I could just glue a piece of foam board on there I guess. Or lock up that aileron and fly with just one functioning aileron. What could go wrong? :)

Dip those crunched parts of the wing in some hot water to puff them back out, grab a chunk of foam from something to replace the missing bit of aileron and glue it in. Trim and sand to fit.
Planes can fly with only one aileron, you lose the redundancy of having two though.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Might I suggest a bloody Baron? Or @SP0NZ ’s ugly wonder. The bloody wonder doesn’t have under cambered wing tips and stalls quite viciously in my opinion
If you are planning to buy a SBK, I would recommend the Baron as well. The two-piece fuselage, lack of doublers, and giant outboard vertical stabilizers on the Bloody Wonder make it a much less durable frame. If you want to build from plans, I have a redesigned version of the Bloody Wonder (MkIII) that uses the same fuselage design as the Bloody Baron and the Ugly Wonder. If your streamer sessions are anything like mine (and from the looks of your photos they are) a cheap $2 foam board airframe is they way to go IMO. They build easy and fast. If you use 3D printed servo mounts, you can field swap all your electronics into a spare airframe without the need for hot glue.

Airkaos

If you are planning to buy a SBK, I would recommend the Baron as well. The two-piece fuselage, lack of doublers, and giant outboard vertical stabilizers on the Bloody Wonder make it a much less durable frame. If you want to build from plans, I have a redesigned version of the Bloody Wonder (MkIII) that uses the same fuselage design as the Bloody Baron and the Ugly Wonder. If your streamer sessions are anything like mine (and from the looks of your photos they are) a cheap $2 foam board airframe if they way to go IMO. They build easy and fast. If you use 3D printed servo mounts, you can field swap all your electronics into a spare airframe without the need for hot glue.

i would love to see those servo mounts, are they on thingiverse??

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Yup, need to publish the mount details, but not having a printer, plywood and spruce are my options
For ply, just make a rectangular mount plate and hot glue it to the outside of the foam. Use the servo mount screws to attach the servo. I think I've even seen Flite Test do this with the monster servos on the monster builds.

cartrouble2k

Thanks a lot guys - I'll try fashioning that missing chunk of aileron out of an old piece of foam and see what happens. Maybe I'll up-armor the leading edges of the wing with aluminum tape just for fun too :)

As long as the motor survives the next crash I think the next purchase will be the Bloody Baron - it does look simpler to repair and build.

Piotrsko

Master member
For ply, just make a rectangular mount plate and hot glue it to the outside of the foam. Use the servo mount screws to attach the servo. I think I've even seen Flite Test do this with the monster servos on the monster builds.
Yeah but i was hoping for SPONZ style trick or even something i had never thought of.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Yeah but i was hoping for SPONZ style trick or even something i had never thought of.
Sorry. I've only ever cut out a few simple firewalls from ply. That was before I got the 3D Printer. Now I just print anything that would normally be made out of ply.

cartrouble2k

So I am really tempted to get the DR1 triplane, stick the motor I have with a 1500 4S in it and just see what happens :)

By my calculations I would end up making the plane about 65% heavier than with the 3S 800 it calls for, but hey, what could go wrong? I kind of just love the ridiculous factor of a tri plane.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
So I am really tempted to get the DR1 triplane, stick the motor I have with a 1500 4S in it and just see what happens :)

By my calculations I would end up making the plane about 65% heavier than with the 3S 800 it calls for, but hey, what could go wrong? I kind of just love the ridiculous factor of a tri plane.
I wouldn’t use that motor, the dr1 calls for a way smaller motor, as well as you see the smaller battery. If you want to build a dr1 I suggest looking around for plans for a larger one, you could just scale up ft’s dr1 plans but you would have to do some major reinforcements for the size and weight.
I suggest you stick with the Baron or wonder