Fixed-Wing Racing (NOT a Wing)

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Personally battlebots attract a completely different group of people than rc high speed racing......
Battlebots : are designed to destroy one another...... Very much like the "modern" "rubbish" video games.... High intensity and destruction.
Rc racing: the goal is to keep the planes in the air... No destruction , no explosions etc

Oh yea and I agree with jasonk..... If you wish to voice your opinions,, do it in a polite way..... Can you imagine talking to someone who is convinced they are right, to the point where they won't even listen to your opinion? I'll spell it out H O R R I B L E

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
After watching this STILL going on I gotta say... You are scope locked on something YOU like.

Here is the reality of racing ANYTHING.. you get rid of anything not aiding speed, not contributing to control, Not having adjustability to adapt to varying tracks and conditions. The next thing is durability, and reparability. Race quads are the PERFECT example of how to lump all that into a single craft. The ONLY set back is the size making it hard to break into main stream spectator sports.

For the most brought up part of this conversation the race wing again its all about power and control and durability and reparability. Crashes are going to happen in ANY type racing. A foam wing is the perfect media rising to the top that covers all aspects AND has some reasonable attraction to become a main stream thing. It fits the bill. scalable, fast, nimble, and very cost effective in a sport where damage is going to happen quite frequently. The only draw back is in bad situations they can carry speed a long way totally without control where a quad can be dropped in most cases under a tenth of that distance

Fixed wing with a tail (MOAR DRAG) and not made out of foam or durable LIGHT (and this is key too) material takes the concept of racing in the opposite direction of common freaking sense. Then when you factor in over all cost.. Added electronics and more weight from extra servos. BTW more weight = more mass= harder impact= more damage= more cost for repairs on average. The only advantage to traditional fixed wing is the ability to carry more fuel / battery for longer flights. BUT again more fuel more weight MOAR SLOW!!! Racing is usually not about slow anything unless you are doing it for endurance longer flight times just mean longer times for spectators to get bored.

Fixed wing racing makes absolutely no sense with the tech and material available today plain and simple.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Last reply and after that I have put way too much effort into this conversation.

and that is why i dropped out of this conversation awhile ago...

you seem to have a very strong opinions, but not so willing to listen to others. if you think the effort you have spent trying to convince us (people who have already said, that would be cool) then you are NEVER going to be able to have the fortitude to convince a venue, an insurance company, a promoter, or anyone else this is a good idea.

once again, think it would be awesome but the devil is in the details and you don't seem to want to acknowledge any of them.

laters,

me :cool: