Flite Fest 2017: Travel Air Type R Mystery Ship

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
The plane that started the Golden Age of Racing at the Nation Air Races in Cleveland Ohio (September 2, 1929).

Travel Air Type R Mystery Ship

image.jpg
Wiki Information
See it in person at the Beechcraft Heritage Museum

Dimensions on this sketch
Travel Air Mystery S_Page_1.jpg

I have been working on this build off and on for a few months in CAD but only now started to get serious near the deadline. The plane is a last minute entry into the contest, just like it was at the races in 1929, where it was kept in secrecy and under cover until the day of the races.

IMG_0699.jpg

I have no grandiose ideas of this being a speed demon and blow away the competition like the original. It will be a small miracle getting this complete by the deadline and proof of flight on video. MUCH luck will be needed and the plans will most likely need tweaked for user friendliness perhaps at later date. If it doesn't get complete by the December 31, 2016 deadline, it will be done soon after. You can still expect to find this plane at Flite Fest 2017 no matter the contest outcome (I haven't missed a FF yet).

Specs: model (actual)
Wingspan - 58" (29')
Prop - 15" (7.9')
Length - 39" (20.3')

There are sneak peaks available on Instagram as I post about this build.

This posting will be edited as time allows. I plan on making empty posts below on the Design, Build and the Maiden that I can update.

Crossing fingers.​

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Design

This is where the design process will be documented with CAD and test runs.

I started out (9/27/16) with the drawing and dimensions in the first post. It was a .tiff file I found on the internet (resourceful thing) that I placed into a TurboCAD file. I then scaled it to the required 1/6 and started tracing the outlines using a polyline tool. I just kept doing that until I got the gist of the shapes and then started coping and manuplulating to get the plans I needed. Ha, wasn't that simple but it took some time to play with it all.

Version 0.5​
Started with the wing, tail section (horizontal and vertical stabs) and fuse.
tc trace.JPG

Then life happened and returned after Thanksgiving (11/26/16 ish)

Then to PDF.
FIRST DRAFT.JPG

Then to paper and foam.
IMG_0522.jpg IMG_0563.jpg IMG_0598.jpg

Then cut and glue
IMG_0528.jpg IMG_0533.jpg IMG_0569.jpg IMG_0573.jpg

Made many notes on changes, but the gist of it seemed to be working. Fuse was two tall and tail section function was wrong after seeing a video.
IMG_0602.jpg

Version 1.0

Plans updated and start to look a bit more user friendly. ~12/12/16 This is the current build plans that I am working from.
second DRAFT.JPG

See Build post below​

Here is the latest CAD screen shot (12/19/16)
version 1.1 plans.JPG

Version 1.01
Cleaned up and added turtle decking posterboard (untested)

version 1.01 plans.JPG

Last edited:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Build

This will be mostly photos showing the process with build notes added.

Many techniques are Flite Test and NerdNic

Cut the foam
IMG_0708.jpg
IMG_0709.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg
Bamboo Skewers go in the narrow slots to stiffen.
IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0718.jpg
IMG_0721.jpg

Part Assembly
(hope to add video of timelapse) can see some clips on Instagram

Tail
IMG_0723.jpg
IMG_0726.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg

Wing
IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0730.jpg
Aluminum Spar (36" x 1/2" x 1/16" notched in middle) glued in place (and a scrap piece of foam I was using due to heat stuck, HA)
IMG_0737.jpg
IMG_0739.jpg

Wing and tail

IMG_0745.jpg

Fuse
No pics of the fuse build (not sure why I didn't)

IMG_0746.jpg

Turtle Deck
just cut some scrap for testing

IMG_0748.jpg
IMG_0750.jpg

Finished version - 3m 77 spray to attache waterproof paper to posterboard.
IMG_0829.jpg IMG_0838.jpg IMG_0843.jpg

PowerPod Placement

This was built then CAD drawings as I was winging this part. Worked out well and came out solid.

IMG_0760.jpg
IMG_0763.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg

GEAR

Wheel Pants - Posterboard top and foamboard sides.
IMG_0833.jpg

Gear is attached like the FT mustang, then support added with control rods and bamboo. Works really well but doesn't hold up to severe landings (I know haha)

IMG_0853.jpg
IMG_0854.jpg

Nose cone

I cut the opening larger then I have in the plans. multiples players and a screen (black out look) added. Shaped the foam with bread knife and sandpaper (100 grit).

IMG_0844.jpg IMG_0845.jpg IMG_0846.jpg IMG_0847.jpg IMG_0857.jpg

MOTOR, ESC, BATTERY, PROP and CG

Motor and ESC : from my Avios SeaFury 3648 600 kV and 60 amp ESC.
Prop : 14x7 APC
Battery : 4s 4000mAh

CG was on the main spar.
IMG_0863.jpg

Cowl is removable for access and held on with skewer in top and velcro on bottom.

Last edited:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Maiden

This will be the fantastic, awesome, stupendous and successful flight video!
:)

Quick edit on hat cam video of maiden. Landing was my fault for not keeping the airspeed up, but it will fix easily.

Last edited:

CaptBill

Im looking forward to my being able to take a shot at something like this and other scale and almost scale builds. Im blown away with each one I see here.

Best wishes on this build.

Where do I find information about Flight Fest 2017?

Thanks
Bill

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Im looking forward to my being able to take a shot at something like this and other scale and almost scale builds. Im blown away with each one I see here.

Best wishes on this build.

Where do I find information about Flight Fest 2017?

Thanks,

Try looking at http://flitefest.com/ perodically, right now it still has last years information. This thread has the rumored dates.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
Very interesting how the tail is made. I never thought of beveling the edges like that…!

:)

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Motor and prop test fit. I used the motor from my Avios SeaFury, 3648 600kV. Then I fit the biggest prop I had, APC 14x7, that was to be for the SeaFury. I plan on using 4s, size to be decided and is CG dependent. I still have some cowl work to do. May try a mesh screen and round the front with some foam shaping. Tail servos still need installed too. Then the challenge of the iconic wheel pants.

IMG_0786.JPG

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
You may want to cut some inlet holes in the cowl. Big radial cowls like that tend to be air dams and cause some serious drag.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
You may want to cut some inlet holes in the cowl. Big radial cowls like that tend to be air dams and cause some serious drag.

Agreed!

I have a few ideas to try out to let air through and still look decent. May try using porch screen mesh with fake pistons and areas cut open around them. I also will add some foam layers to then sculpt into a curved cowl.

IMG_0790.JPG

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
All of those sound viable to me. Rounding the edges off would probably grant you the most aerodynamic gain, but the others would definitely help.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Installed servos for rudder and elevator, also cut some areas open for access into the fuse and to help lighten it a bit.

IMG_0794.JPG

Rudder servo and guide

IMG_0798.JPG

Rudder (foam is some shaping I am trying)
IMG_0799.JPG

Elevator (photo upside down- this happens occasionally)
IMG_0796.JPG

Used wire to connect elevators together.

IMG_0793.JPG