Flite Fest 2017: Travel Air Type R Mystery Ship

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Took today off from work. Progress is speeding up.

IMG_0826.JPG

Turtle deck, cowl mods, box wheel pants(want foam layers and shaped layer) and a bit of paint.

All control surfaces are functioning. Need to watt test set up too.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Does look a bit tail heavy, which can also cause a bit of rise during throttle up. If you need down trim during a power-off glide yeah, tail heavy.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Tail gear

A few pics of the steerable tail wheel. I used a bit of wire and two servo control horns. The weight rests on the first control horn that is glued into a slot and is near the internal bamboo skewers for strength. Make sure the bend is abrupt enough to not go all the way through. This should help keep any direct force from ripping the rudder off the vertical stabilizer. It seemed to worked really well.

IMG_0820.JPG

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Great effort BridgeInspector! I really like this thing.

The big cowl that looks like it belongs, nice big plane presence in the sky.....I'd be proud to fly one.

Irrespective of its speed performance, I think you have the makings of a VERY cool sport plane.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Got some paint on the Mystery Ship.

IMG_1287.JPG

Was able to paint on this 58 degree winter day. I ran out of red, so only did the top. Still need to make templates or tape for black parts. The cowl is getting some spackle before painting it gloss black.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Finally got a chance to start adding some detail paint. Then it started to rain so I didn't get to finish on this day.

download.jpg
(cowling removed)

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Nice to see you back working on this! I was so close to building one for FFW, but I was going to struggle to get it into the prius with all of the other stuff I had. Must put it back on the list.

DamoRC

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Nice to see you back working on this! I was so close to building one for FFW, but I was going to struggle to get it into the prius with all of the other stuff I had. Must put it back on the list.

DamoRC

Awesome.

I can also put the files on Google Drive for the templates I used to paint the black areas. They are rough, basically just curvy lines, but seemed to work.