Flite Fest 2017: Travel Air Type R Mystery Ship

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
It isn't perfect but it is getting there. One side done with striping. Still needs stripes on other side and numbering.
FullSizeRender.jpg

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Wow that thing is beautiful! I'm so eager of many aspects of this FliteFest and seeing replicas of these machines is certainly one.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow!! Very nicely done sir!

You might have covered this earlier, but what's your technique for the edges on the rudder? It looks almost like you removed foam in a bevel while keeping the paper, and then glued it all back together :confused: I've had crap luck getting it to be that pretty when I've tried that. :black_eyed:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Wow!! Very nicely done sir!

You might have covered this earlier, but what's your technique for the edges on the rudder? It looks almost like you removed foam in a bevel while keeping the paper, and then glued it all back together :confused: I've had crap luck getting it to be that pretty when I've tried that. :black_eyed:

That is basically the technique used with lots of practice. I have used this many times building NerdNic's planes. Just try it on some scrap pieces and watch NerdNic's videos on how he does it and they will start to look better.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'll definitely check out his videos on this - someone knows a secret here that I need to learn :p

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Mystery Ship Flys during Flite Fest Furey Cup Race

So the Furey Cup went well! Here is the RAW video from the flight.

This was only the second flight and the first since getting paint. Since it was a bit tail heavy on the maiden, I added two AA batteries inside the cowl, and the balance was greatly improved and flying was much easier than on the maiden. The only hiccup was a not making it all the way back to the runway and did a little damage to the landing gear. Easy fix with some hot glue globs.

Oh and right before take off, when the field was to be clear, I was buzzed by a CUDA going 100 mph +, that got the nervous shaking a bit too.
Video here.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWtW00uhfoZ/?taken-by=tn_bridge

Many Thanks to my spotters Jim and Joel. I also saw Robert filming with his helmet on as well in the video.

I had not intended to fly in the races and thus did not have a helmet. I looked through my RV and found my daughter's pink with flowers bike helmet. At the last minute (literally), I spray painted the helmet red and cut some paper templates for black accents. It was still tacky as I flew and my fingers had bits of red and black paint. I wish I had photographed the helmet before I painted it (example photo added).

IMG_3211.JPG CE-approved-girls-bike-helmets-AU-D3-cute-flower-helmet-for-girls_4.jpg

From the video, I took first or second. I could not see Josh Finn's red plane in the video to count his laps (reported as only 9?) but I finished about a half lap before Carl's yellow plane. Doesn't matter to me who won, just that I was able to complete the race and the plane lived to fly again.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I loved seeing this in person and getting to meet you!

But I think you should have left the flowers on the helmet :p

Flynn

Dude! I wish I couldv'e seen that fly in person! Great video! It was great to see you at FF17! I'm so glad I found this thread, awesome work man! That thing looks great!