Flite Fest West 2017 - "Review"

THANKS!

As an attendee, I just wanted to give a shout out to all the people that worked the booths, facilities, build tents, store, and did all the work so I could just totally have fun.

I will pick on Gen Bixler, just because I recognized her from some of the videos. She was in the FT store from early morning until late at nigh, all day every day, helping people get what they needed. If I tried that I would be flat out on the floor by the 2nd day... While he FT guys were "working hard" having fun, shooting videos, and flying planes, she was in the store getting it done. What a terrible way to visit California... Someone (Josh) owes her flowers and a foot rub.

As for all the rest of you whose names I don't even know, THANKS!

PBWinginit

Flite Fest West was so much fun!

I have to say that Flite Fest West was an incredibly unique, fun event. My kids and I have been watching them on YouTube since day 1, so just greeting these guys AND their families throughout the weekend was awesome. These are some of the most genuine people and they have my kids hooked on RC flight! That's more than I can say for so many recreational sports teams we've been a part of. This was truly a family experience. My wife actually called us and was jealous that she didn't get to meet Josh and Josh too!

Highlights from our trip
- Built an FT Tiny Trainer on Saturday with my 12-year old and 8-year old boys!
- FLEW the FT Tiny Trainer and watched my 12-year old fly alone for the first time ever
- Met Josh, Josh, Stefan, Alex and their families!
- Got Rick-Rolled by an awesome flying wing when we arrived on Saturday :p
- Watched my young cousin master his race quad and fly at night
- Watched so many awesome builds, planes
- Met the largest group of friendly people in Northern CA last weekend. Truly great group of people all in one place!
- My kids are now excited about RC flight

IMG_1820[1].JPG

- Pedar (PBWinginit)

Last edited:

PBWinginit

Spot on, Ran! HUGE thanks to the entire Flite Test family and the many volunteers that made this experience happen in Northern California. These are all amazing people!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Quick correction, "Lead sled" initially was used in reference to customized cars.
The chrome trim would be removed, leaving holes in the bodywork where the clips for the trim had attached. These holes were filled by melting lead into them then filing the lead flush before repainting. Thus, a tricked-out car was a "lead sled."
So, something awesome is probably closer to the original term than an overweight glider. Isn't language fun?

In this case the fun part being my sloppiness with the word origin. In that light yes! Very cool how the meaning sort of circled back to it's true origin.

delta.png

Check it out. This guy rolled onto the 6 of my black and yellow FT Delta at 1:12

EDITED:

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I wanted to say something about the cost. I expected to pay a San Francisco area premium and when I booked through Hotline on March 7 I received what was probably the best deal I ever booked for hotel/car.

I don't know what was typical but I have booked New Orleans and Houston quite a lot. I have found Tampa to be one of the best places (mini suites for $100).

We stayed at the Best Western in Concord 6 nights for $70/night (tax and everything). A full size rental car for $30/day (all included) x 6 days (from the airport). I've never done that well anywhere.

We paid a $5 toll everyday and 4 day parking was $40.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Capture.JPG

Screen grab from the last flitefest video. Ben and i in some combat. Combat was super fun

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Aww man. I just saw the video, and they didn't put the Giant P-61 in it:( I'm sad now

I doubt this will be the last FFWest video they put out ...stay tuned. :)

View attachment 87622

Screen grab from the last flitefest video. Ben and i in some combat. Combat was super fun

Well, flying in general was fun, for me. "Combat" wasn't so much "combat" as it was "chase each other around the sky until you hit the ground". :p

thenated0g

Mentor
Ok, let me be honest. I hit one person (hank) and than the next 3 combats i "crashed" into something bigger...called earth :)

It was nuts. The first time stephan said something about circling or getting close to the flag. Split second look at flag, back to my pla!!!! crap i lost my plane! where is it!!! lol

Next flight- Stephan says something about hitting a specific plane...i look at that plane, back to my pla$%#$ crap wheres my plane!!! lol

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
HAHAHA!! Nate my dude... you def had some tough luck in those last two combats!! ;) I loved the story though..CLASSIC!! What a blast we all had!

I also wanted to take a second to THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU... for being such an integral part of this years FFWEST as well as the COMMUNITY in general! Without you guys and your hard work, dedication, crazy projects, inspiration and most of all FRIENDSHIPS... we would not be where we are today and we FOR SURE not have a FLITE FEST WEST!!!
So to ALL OF YOU who call yourself FT COMMUNITY MEMBERS... EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU.... THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts! You make it all possible!

I wish you all the best and CAN'T WAIT to see you at the NEXT FF event!!

Blessings and happy flying everyone!

Stefan

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Ok, let me be honest. I hit one person (hank) and than the next 3 combats i "crashed" into something bigger...called earth :)

It was nuts. The first time stephan said something about circling or getting close to the flag. Split second look at flag, back to my pla!!!! crap i lost my plane! where is it!!! lol

Next flight- Stephan says something about hitting a specific plane...i look at that plane, back to my pla$%#$ crap wheres my plane!!! lol

THIS. Exactly!! Hindsight: I should've flown my AngryBee in the combats. :p

thenated0g

Mentor
Next year i plan on having at least 2 planes ready to rotate thru combat so i can fix one and be ready. And definitely some night flying stuff.

Crazy Goats

Next year i plan on having at least 2 planes ready to rotate thru combat so i can fix one and be ready. And definitely some night flying stuff.

YES! Prefect plan. Night flying is something I totally want to do if I attend FF again. I wasn't at FFW but I was at Flite Fest last year, and the night flying was amazing.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I love the "whoever lands first close to yellow flappy dude wins" endings of combats when people just hurl their plane straight into the ground close to that flappy dude. :)

Corbarrad

I have three additional goals for Flitefest '17:

-Have a flyable plane by day 1
-Have a night flyer
-Don't sleep through the majority of saturday

Liam B

Just a quick note: I didn't have a night flying PLANE, but I had a QUAD with a FPV camera on it:p. It was awesome, until a huge battle drone smashed me outta the sky!!!

NTTD

Exactly my plan too Nate.

I brought several planes in various stages of the build process and was thinking I'd just "quickly finish the builds" at the event. Even though I spent the majority of my free time building, I ended up taking on two more projects and didn't finish anything. :eek:

I had a completed Sea Duck ready to go but chickened out on doing the maiden there at the event. I was too scared to hurt my "baby".

All in all I did very little flying. I ended up flying my Phantom in the mornings and evenings to get some shots, and flew my UMX Radian early on Wednesday or Thursday morning because it was quiet out on the flight-line.

Even though I did not fly much I had THE BEST TIME EVER! Flight Test is a truly magical organization, and brings out the best people and the best in people. Words cannot do justice to just how great an event this was. Now I understand what people meant about how FF is like a family reunion. I truly felt at home there, it DID feel like family was around even though I had never met anyone there before!

FFW has become a must-do event in my life, I absolutely cannot wait for next year and look forward to the new venue.